A Bit about Me

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Terrified of another pregnancy but want another baby.

Postby cowgal » May 06, 2010 10:48 am

Has anybody had a normal pregnancy the second time around? My daughter is now 3 and I can't see how I would be able to be a good mother to her and be as sick as I was during my pregnancy with her. I was very depressed and anxious. I couldn't do anything but lay on the couch or bed with lights low and no movement and I would still be sick. I couldn't even lay on the porch when the wind was blowing or the movement of the leaves would make me sick. I had anxiety every day about taking a shower because the movement of the water made me sick and I would throw up or heave the whole time I tried to shower. I have really had a hard time returning to my old self after my daughter's birth. I was so weak and exhausted that I felt overwhelmed most of the time until my daughter was about 7 or 8 months old. In the year after her birth I gained about 25 lbs above what I weighed when I became pregnant. During my pregnancy I lost about 20 lbs during the first 21 weeks and then managed gain about 22 during the remainder of my pregnancy..... I delivered a healthy 8lb baby. I have struggled to loose weight eversince and have little luck because I feel like I am hungry all the time and willpower can only take me so far. I would love to have another baby but feel like I have to get my weight under control and be mentally healthy so that I can survive this again. Do any of you have suggestions?
cowgal

Postby FinallyBlessed » Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi! I'm Davina, 1st time HGer w/ baby numero uno. I've had HG since week 5, but diagnosed at week 8, which started my series of hospitalizations for the next month and 1/2. I currently live in Oakland, Ca after a very recent and untimely move from Louisiana because of my illness. I had to quit my job and move back home with my mother because of all the financial and physical difficulties of not being able to work.

My current frustrations include trying to find a decent doctor who is familiar with HG although the current one I have is at least trying. That is one thing I miss about Louisiana is my very informed doctors on my cushy HMO that paid for my zofran pump and all the meds I ever needed no questions asked. Now I'm stuck for the last month in California trying to get Medicaid which won't pay for even the oral zofran because I don't have cancer so I'm having waaay more horrible days than good. A family friend has a relative with cancer and they had a few to spare so that's all I got for the days I have doctors appts. Life right now is sucky!

On the plus side, I'm 24 weeks, doing much better but my days are mostly wait and see. I'm starting feel more excited about my soon-to-be bouncing baby girl and am very anxious about her arrival. And thats my story... (minus the gory details of course)
-Davina

Nadiyah 9/29/10 (severe HG from 5wks- delivery)

FinallyBlessed
Been There Done That

New UK member

Postby Sunnymum » Jun 26, 2010 3:16 am

Hi i have just joined as i am in my first month of ttc. It is looking very likly that i am pregnant already, but is too early to come up positive on tests til next week. Very worried about whether i will be able to get the care i need and hope to have the courage to ask the doctors the list of questions that are on the site. I am based in the UK. Previous pregnancy was HG, now have a three yr old son. Really would like a brother or sister for him. Fingers crossed that it is different this time! Previously was on two anti sickness medications stemetil and cyclizine (SP?)but had bad side effects and they didn't work. After three months of suffering and thinking that we could no longer cope, i was given zofran, this allowed me to eat lunch and was the only thing that made things bearable. It was only at the point of thinking about having a termination and telling this to the doctor that this was prescribed. Hope that i can get the support that i need this time and earlier!
Sunnymum

Happy tears.

Postby celiamcaulley » Jul 05, 2010 1:45 am

I've been in tears having found this site, I'm sure I am not the first, nor will I be the last to say this but it's the most lovely thing in the world to find that I'm not alone, to read that other people have experienced what I have, felt the same things, it has simply rocked my world.

I am 27yo and fell pregnant with my first at 21, my husband and I had only just become married when we found out and we were very happy but it wasn't to be, I'd had no sickness but the baby didn't survive past 10 weeks and I had to have a D&C at 11weeks. I then found out in december of 2004 that we were pregnant again HG hit hardest at I think about 10 weeks through to around 25weeks from memory. 5 hospital visits in the space of 6 weeks at one point to re-hydrate. When I asked what the meds they were giving me that stopped the vomiting, that's when I was told that I could have zofran at home but it was very pricey, with that pregnancy once I was having it at home I was able to stay at home, still feeling sick and mostly unable to live a totally normal life but at least I could be out of hospital. On the 18th of August 2005 whilst dry wretching in the theatre during the ceasar I gave birth to our beautiful daughter Poppy Grace and it has never ceased to amaze me how perfect she is after going through all that from inside me...lol

Jan of 2008 we fell pregnant again, it was planned, it was how we had always wanted it but I got really sick, really quick. My GP had given me hope saying after my daughters that no two pregnancies were the same so I shouldn't count on being sick again. After 8 weeks of hell on earth, the longest 8 weeks I had ever experienced we lost the baby, I went back and bitterly told my GP he was right, it wasn't the same, it was much worse. I could not have thought it could be worse than the first but I was incredibly naive and there was so little info about it anywhere. It didn't help that I had a different OB/GYN who thought I was being a total drama queen or that I was in a hospital where they took the attitude that I was an utter waste of space both things I' had been very lucky with my daughter not to have as issues.

The feelings of just wanting to die so it would be over, the thoughts of abortion and how broken I was from things like the smell of my daughters hair (any other time reminding me of sunshine) making me wretch. Reading on this site about surviving HG, I understand, it is survival and nothing else, not coping, not bearing through, it's just trying to hang on for dear life.

I had gotten to the point of throwing up every 10 to 15mins and on my second trip to hospital before my new OB would prescribe zofran which he did but only because I told him to, he didn't know anything about it. It was too late by then I just wasn't able to keep it down and kept on the hospital roller coaster ride until I was up to my 12th week and the OB tried the steroid medication, over night I was me again, I was feeling fantastic, really wanting the baby finally. Feeling so good I was due to be released the next day after having my 12 week ultrasound. Our little boys bladder was a huge black chasm larger than his brain. We were told he wasn't viable.... If that much urine had built up and not broken through whatever was blocking it then it wasn't going to happen. I had a D&C that night and that was it.

We had both given up on having another baby, we started looking into fostering still feeling like we had so much more love to give. Then my younger sister has just fallen pregnant with her first and it was like a light being turned on for the both of us at the same time, we really do want another ignoring it because of all the pain and pushing it aside until my sisters situation just made it all so clear.

Our daughter will turn 5 in August and it's really a much bigger gap than we ever thought we'd have but we must be older and wiser because we really aren't that worried, that's small stuff. So in light of that I figured I'd try googling the old hyperemesis again and top of the list is this site and I thank goodness for it.

Initially I had to confront really how bad I was and the fact that it can be so much worse. But overwhelmingly my brain seems to be over writting all that fear with doing things like being as prepared as possible, organising as much help as we can lay our hands on and working out a pre-emptive plan with my original OB and original hospital (we moved back that way when we bought this house). I feel so much more control even in the planning of me having little to no control. More importantly, I feel so much less alone knowing this site is here. I have made an appointment with my OB, and called my health insurance and even sussed out the prices of zofran at different chemists so I can get an idea of what to save up for. At the same time as helping me look at the reality that it's all not going to be butterflies and bunny rabbits, this site is helping me feel so much more empowered. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (sorry this is so long)
CM
Sydney Australia.
celiamcaulley

Postby Clysta » Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm also so happy that I've found this site. I have yet to met anyone else that has it or has had it, and it gets so daunting after awhile. I got it when I was 5 weeks pregnant, but wasn't diagnosed till 13 weeks when I went into the hospital after losing 20 pounds and eating maybe once every four days. Everyone kept telling me that food makes it better, it's mind over matter, that I was just being a baby and letting it get to me, but I truly don't believe that anyone who's not had it doesn't understand it. I've been in the hospital a number of times due to weight lose and dehydration, and have lived on Phenergan and Zofran for months now. I'm finally at 30 weeks pregnant, and can't wait for it to be over. In the darkest hours (and I hate to admit it, but it's true) the only thing I could think about was how much I hated my baby because I knew it was because I carried her that I had it, and what I would have given to have had a normal pregnancy. I see all these women who are able to go out and live normal lives, and I get confined to a bed wishing I could die someplace. The things that always bothered me the most (and still do) are that so many people call it just "Morning Sickness" and the people who complain because of minor pains or aches. I would have given anything to take that pain and let them try this for a week. I know I sound bitter, and I'm really not a bitter person, but when you're sick for months and months on end, I don't think you can really help it.
Clysta

Postby TwinkleX2 » Oct 06, 2010 1:32 pm

As so many people posted before me, I was in tears yesterday when I found this site. My DS was born 6 years ago, and with him I began experiencing HG symptoms the morning after taking the home pregnancy test. My complaints were largely ignored by my doctor. She finally prescribed Phenergan in the second trimester when she saw I was still losing weight. All that really did was knock me out, so I took it in the evenings that I just couldn't stand throwing up anymore. My husband worked nights at the time, and there were so many scary moments that I remember thinking, "This is it. I'm choking, I can't get my breath, and my poor husband is going to find me here in the morning." Somehow I got through it. It's amazing how efficient you become at throwing up, isn't it? My symptoms eased up a bit for a while, but returned in the third trimester, and I was vomiting on the delivery table. Someone told me they heard that actually made the delivery process go faster. So, I guess at least there's that.
I knew my son would have to be relatively independent before we tried for another baby, so here we are, 6 years later and 12 weeks into this pregnancy. The "morning sickness" was in full force by 5 weeks. It was so bad that I went ahead and told my boss I was pregnant because I was throwing up in my office, and I knew some late mornings and missed days were in my future. I am very fortunate that she and my co-workers are so understanding and kind.
Determined to be heard this time, I changed doctors for this pregnancy. When I relayed the details of my last pregnancy at our first appointment, he immediately prescribed Zofran pills. Unfortunately, by 8 weeks, my condition had snowballed and I called the doctors office one Friday morning begging for a prescription of Phenergan so I could sleep through the weekend and get some strength back, but their instructions were to either go to the ER or they were going to order an in-home IV treatment and Zofran pump. I didn't even know something like that existed. I opted for the home health care. Luckily, I only had to be on the IVs for that first weekend. I spent the next week depressed that I couldn't find the "willpower" to get through this pregnancy without aid of the pump, but slowly I began to see how it was allowing me to return to a somewhat normal life. They've upped my dosage, and my fear now is that they'll take it away.
Most days I feel like I'm coping pretty well. But then someone tells me to just eat some saltines or try accupuncture. One well-meaning lady said, "Oh, you just have a weak stomach." Funny how it's only weak when I'm pregnant.
I've found no pleasure this time in the regular pregnancy boards with their happy tummy shots while mine is covered with welts and bruises from the injection sites (too painful to do in my legs). Or their food cravings. I miss food. I've been on a bland diet for weeks now. Noodles and rice and Flintstones gummie vitamins, lol. And hardly anyone in my "due date clubs" have heard of a Zofran pump, nor do they really want to talk about it. So this site is just amazing. It's such a relief to read about others that are going through this too, others who have survived this. Others who have had the bleak, desperate thought that they just can't do this. I was at that point before I got the pump. We want this baby so badly, but there was definitely a moment that I didn't think I had the strength to make it to April. You all give me hope and comfort knowing I'm not alone.
God bless all those who suffer because of HG.
TwinkleX2

New IA member

Postby Karigomez » Oct 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi! I am on my 4th preg and this is my first time with HG. I was sick with my first two boys but not at all with my daughter. Since it was my 4th and all others were ok my dr didn't even want to see me until I was 10 weeks but I called when I lost 40lbs in the first 7 weeks! I was so sick I quit my job and hardly ever left the couch-I would keep a cup next to me so I wouldn't have to move to throw up! My dr gave me zofran but it didn't help. I was still sick 8-10 times a day. Nothing stayed down. I am now 12 weeks and have been in the hospital for a week and have a PICC. I still can't eat or drink anything! I'm getting TPN 24 hrs and riders of potassium and magnesium. Still gettin zofran as well and still getting sick. I'm tired, scared and very sad. I have a wonderful hubby, in laws and mom but miss my kids dearly! My mom found this sight for me and thought it would be great to talk to others in my situation. Would love to find someone in my area who has been through this!

PS-we did find out I'm having twins and I'm not sure how happy I am?!?!?
Kari G, Bettendorf , ia
Karigomez

Re: New IA member

Postby Hope4me » Nov 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Karigomez wrote:Hi! I am on my 4th preg and this is my first time with HG. I was sick with my first two boys but not at all with my daughter. Since it was my 4th and all others were ok my dr didn't even want to see me until I was 10 weeks but I called when I lost 40lbs in the first 7 weeks! I was so sick I quit my job and hardly ever left the couch-I would keep a cup next to me so I wouldn't have to move to throw up! My dr gave me zofran but it didn't help. I was still sick 8-10 times a day. Nothing stayed down. I am now 12 weeks and have been in the hospital for a week and have a PICC. I still can't eat or drink anything! I'm getting TPN 24 hrs and riders of potassium and magnesium. Still gettin zofran as well and still getting sick. I'm tired, scared and very sad. I have a wonderful hubby, in laws and mom but miss my kids dearly! My mom found this sight for me and thought it would be great to talk to others in my situation. Would love to find someone in my area who has been through this!

PS-we did find out I'm having twins and I'm not sure how happy I am?!?!?

Hi, I just wondered how you are doing?

Are you eating or drinking anything? I am sure you do miss your kids. I think you mum was great locating this site for you.

Sincerely

J (hugs)
Hope4me

Postby Hope4me » Nov 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Twinkle,

Do hang in there please!

I didn't make it, having HG suffered for 15weeks but I would give anything to pregnant again. I too was due next April. I wished I hadn't of been so sick, so ill, weak, unable to dress.

Keep us up to date on how you are?

Sincerely

J, (hugs)
Hope4me

Nice to know Im not alone.

Postby jaxteroy » Nov 21, 2010 5:00 am

Hi Every one,

My name is Jacqui. I am mummy of one beautiful daughter, who has just turned one.

I suffered HG from 6 weeks, although I wasn't diagnosed until 16 weeks, when i was at my worst, and could no longer function, or do simple daily tasks like shower and change, or brush my hair. I had quit work, and spent every waking minute on the couch, in bed, over the toilet or on the floor.

I too was offered biscuits and ginger to heal me, and felt more and more alone and misunderstood, with every kind suggestion from those around me who, like me, were uneducated on HG.

I was prescribed Zofran well before 16 weeks, but was not really told what for, except that it would help with my "morning sickness". When I did make it into hospital, I was admitted with a strange sounding pregnancy related illness called "Hyper emesis". That was all that was told to me, apart from... 'we will give you fluids and you'll start to feel better.' I feel like I was kept in the dark about how truly serious this disease can be. And no, after 4 bags of fluids, I didnt feel better, I still hadn't been to the bathroom (all week), but at least my hallucinations had subsided.

I didnt know about this web site, and the doctors I spoke to couldn't give me the answers both my husband and I were looking for. I feel like my health was neglected to a point, because I wasn't made aware of what I really had, how to properly deal with it, or how different it is to normal morning sickness. For a first pregnancy, I thought for a period of time that this perhaps was 'normal' for some people. How bad should it get before I ask for help? Now i know certainly not as far as it went.

After reading over this site for the first time, (practically all day), I realise now how very lucky I was, to have survived, and to have a healthy baby at the end of it all. I have connected and cried over all of your stories, for your losses, suffering, and for the understanding you have given one another. I have cried because I now know that I wasn't as alone as I had thought.

I am so thankful for the advice and friendship shown here at HER Foundation. Not only to help educate me better about what I have suffered through, but also for the suggestions for any future pregnancies - we are "working on" that now. I accept now that I will most likely suffer HG again. I feel empowered with knowledge. I also feel like I now have an answer to every one that easily brushes off the likely hood of it happening again. (Im finding this equally as frustrating as the ignorance of HG, as it means it is more than likely going to be misunderstood all over again next pregnancy.)

With all of your posts, so fittingly putting into words your experiences, you have helped me to put into words my own. I am working on an email and letter to my friends and family, to try to educate them on HG. Hopefully this will help them understand what we could possibly go through in our next pregnancy, and at the least raise awareness of such a debilitating disease. My words certainly didn't make them come close to understanding during my first pregnancy, or talking about it since.

Im scared of the future, grateful for the lessons learnt from my past HG, and thankful for finding such a comforting site this morning.

:wink:
HG survivor 6 weeks - 27 weeks.
Hospital rehydration, steroids, zofran, maxalon, zantac.
One beautiful daughter who was worth every second of painful misery.
Let us be sisters through experience.
jaxteroy

Hi I'm New to this Website but not to HG!

Postby bunderful » Dec 23, 2010 6:06 am

I just found this website last night and reading everything made me cry! I read parts out loud to my husband punctuated with expressions of "see! I'm not crazy!"

I have had HG with four pregnancies, now in my fifth pregnancy. With my first I was on Diclectin which sort of helped, with my second I just remember suffering, with my third I did acupuncture which took the edge off enough so that I could function and my fourth I just suffered.

Now I may be pregnant with twins (one doesn't seem to be doing well) and I am violently ill. I haven't been able to get out of bed in about a month, have been crying to my husband wanting to terminate the pregnancy, depressed, miserable in an insane fog of nausea that just won't go away. In all of my pregnancies I was in the hospital at least once for dehydration. So far with this pregnancy I've been twice. Anyhow my doctor finally took me seriously I think she realized that I'm not going to make it through this one with the extra hormones of the twin and she put me on Zofran. Can I just say that it's a miracle drug? I feel like a different person. But it's still not 100% and I can only take one pill per day so I have to decide what part of the day I want to be functional for.

Anyway, would love to make some friends and chat with others going through the same thing. I can't believe I only knew what this was called and only found this website yesterday!

Hope someone out there is reading this.

- Rena
bunderful

Postby Cin » Dec 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm out here reading this!

Medically, there is absolutely no reason you have to take just one Zofran a day. Most of us take 32 mg -- that's 4 8 mg pills. Go back to your doc and demand better treatment.

You can also take diclectin with Zofran -- for many of us, it's a very powerfiul combination and works well.

Welcome to HER! Please explore the "For Health Professionals" tab and print some info off for your doctor. We find many docs need to be educated.

I'll pray for your LO that may not make it -- and for all of you!
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby suzewantstwo » Dec 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi guys,

I'm from Australia too and my first pregnancy in 2006 was plagued by hyperemesis from week 6 right through to the day of delivery (and the next day just to give me a bit of a send off).

I was too scared to get pregnant again because of my experience with HG first time around. The thought of dragging my wonderful 4 year old daughter through HG kept me from trying for a long time. However, a health scare last year had me re-assess my situation and we decided to give it another go and hope for the best.

I'm 8 weeks along now and I'm quite sick but it isn't as bad as it was first time around. However, I am also 37 this time and working in a much more demanding full time job. I'm not coping well but must push on as I am the bread winner for the family and if I don't go to work the mortgage doesn't get paid.

I'm taking zofran at the moment, which I demanded immediately after having to beg for it at about 16 weeks during my first pregnancy. I thinnk the early intervention has been beneficial as I've not had any hospital stays yet (at this stage in my first pregnancy I'd already been hospitalised 3 times for rehydration).

The thing I'm finding so hard now is being able to afford the zofran. I'm currently paying $130 per week. It's killing us and I know that at some point pretty soon I'm going to have to go without out it. I'm terrified.

I am amazed and saddened by how little is known about this disease and how poorly it is treated in this country.

I'm glad I'm not alone although I'm sad that anyone has to endure this illness.

I cling to the hope that maybe in this pregnancy the sickness will ease after 12 or 20 weeks but I certainly won't be counting on it...
suzewantstwo

Postby sarahCT » Jan 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in the US and have not been diagnosed with HG. I'm not sure if I have it or not, though I can identify with many experiences of people on this forum, so I'm inclined to think I have a mild case (as someone else noted, my symptoms are not as bad as many).

I'm pregnant for the first time (10 weeks yesterday), and the first thing I said to the midwife when I went in was that I wished I was more excited. Around that time was when I realized that my feelings of depression may be a result of my physical sickness (and why not just sleep as much as I can - sleep is the only relief I get without Zofran). My husband and I haven't told many people yet. I don't really want to talk about it with other people. It's hard enough to say a weak "yes" to my mother and mother-in-law when they ask me if I'm excited. It's a horrible feeling. My husband has been amazing, though, and is such a good caretaker. It makes me excited to see him as a dad.

Two of the main reasons I'm on here now are 1) to see what treatment people are getting and 2) get ideas for foods to try. 16mg of Zofran/day worked beautifully for me for 5 days, until I found out that the insurance co's idea of a "30 day supply" of the medication was different than my doctors. So I'm at my wit's end now. I've gone 4 days with only Reglan, B6, and Unisom at night. I don't throw up much, because I just can't bring myself to eat or drink when I'm really nauseated. I'm really hungry, but don't crave anything, so am nervous to eat.

The thought of this lasting through the pregnancy is too much for me - I keep hoping it will end by week 12. But I'm encouraged by other people on here. Thank you so much for this. I'm not sure what I'd do if i hadn't found this site.
Sarah
Due date: July 29, 2011
sarahCT

Postby Hayleyn » Jan 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi,
I'm Hayley and I have been through HG twice. The first time was over 9 years ago. I had no clue what was going on. It started when I was about 5 weeks along. I spent the next 18 weeks going from hospital to clinics to get IV fluids and could not find a doctor to to take me on. Only when the HG had passed was I able to get a doctor. Weighed in at 90 pounds at 25 weeks.

Fast forward to 2007. I met a wonderful man and was married on 03/2010. One of the conversations we had was about having more children. He had one and so did I both from previous relationships. My mother and I both drilled into him that I could not get pregnant agin due to how sick I get. Finding a birth control was a challenge because I could not take any estrogen based birth control due to it making me as sick as I was when pregnant. So I got on the depo shot. Needless to say it failed and I found out I was prego. in Aug, 2007. Again I did not have a doctor but my family physician took over and I was hospitalized twice, then put on a PICC line and was on home healthcare till 24 weeks prego. Weighed in at a whole 95 pounds by the time Hg started to loosen it's grip on me at 24 weeks.

I have two beautiful daughters, pills at times but I would not trade them for anything.
Last edited by Hayleyn on Feb 03, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hayley

2x HG Survivor

Hayleyn
Welcomed Friend

Postby Perla » Jan 20, 2011 9:04 am

Hi, I´m Perla and I'm from Iceland. I´m on my second pregnancy and I was hopelessly optimistic that I would not go through another rough pregnancy.

I had my son in 2001 and I had no idea what was happening to me. My doctor didn´t believe me when I explained my symptoms and I got no help. I got little support from my family as they did not understand my condition and like my doctor thought I should suck it up.

This pregnancy has been so different. The symptoms started at week four and and a week later I had been in bed for a week not eating or drinking and got a home visit from a doctor. He said he had never seen this before but he sent me to the hospital.
At the hospital I finally found out that this was a disease and it had a name. I was so glad not to be treated like an overreacting hysterical woman again.
My midwife has been so kind and understanding and when I´ve had to go to the maternity ward at the hospital for IV injections the nurses and doctors have been great.

The HG has been worse this time round and at week 20 I´m still mostly in bed but to know what this is and to get support has made it a lot easier emotionally. I have a wonderful spouse that is understanding and takes great care of me and my son.

I´m so glad that there is some awareness and community out there and I don´t feel so alone and isolated knowing that I´m not the only one going through this.
Perla

Postby lisa28 » Feb 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi my name is lisa, i have suffered with HG 2 times with my daughter 6 and son 3.
When i fell pregnant with my daughter in 2003 i didnt know what had hit me at first, i was being sick every time i ate or drank anything, my work at the time didnt believe me and kept on saying your only preg not ill (even when i was in hospital on a drip) My doc at the time didnt really understand it at first an kept trying me on different drugs till eventually he had me admitted to hospital at about 13 weeks i think.
The sickness lasted till about 22 weeks but i still felt really ill and till she was born.

We decided to try for another baby in 2006 and we didnt think i would get HG again just thought it was one of those things with y daughter. To start with i wasnt to bad, was being sick but not as bad as i had with my first, but then at 9 weeks it hit me and i was sick all the time. We had moved by this time and when i went to see my doc he admiited me straight away.
The sickness with my son lasted up till about 33 weeks and then after that i had to eat all the time to stop me feeling sick.

Roll onto to 2011 and we have started speaking about trying for a third after April. Part of me thinks i wont get it again i will be lucky this time, but i know that it will be very rare if i dont get it again. Im hoping with the support of my friends and now finding this support group that i will be able to cope with it much better than my last 2 pregnancies.
lisa28

Hello

Postby marchmom12 » Aug 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello, My name is Rebecca. I am 10 weeks pregnant, and found out I have HE after an ER visit. So far I have lost 17 pounds. I am taking phenergan and zofran, but still puke regularly. I feel so frustrated, because before this I was active. Now I lay around all day ( I don't even like to stand around because I start to feel dizzy and then I throw up). I didn't even know what HE was until I was told that I have it.I am so new to all of this. This is my first pregnancy and I am terrified.I would love to have a companion through all of this (misery loves company)
marchmom12

Postby Hopeful Momma » Sep 09, 2011 5:24 am

Hi everyone!

I suffered from a horrible bout of HG last year with my first pregnancy. I received a lot of sub-standard care (including a lot of nurses who told me to "just eat something" and then told me that they wouldn't give me ice chips because I would just puke them back up) I was in the hospital 3 times and refused admission. After almost a month of no relief, severe dehydration and losing 40 pounds or so, I gave up hope. The pregnancy ended in termination. I couldn't go on, and without medical support my body was failing me.

It took me a long time to come to terms with what happened and to be in a place where I could consider another pregnancy.

And then I got pregnant! I'm 5 weeks along. I found a new doctor who has assured me that at the first sign of trouble he'll admit me to the hospital, and called in my zofran script to the pharmacy while he was with his wife whose water had just broken.

I am cautiously optimistic that this time will be better with the early zofran intervention as I was already experiencing nausea and near vomiting right after conception. I thought it was all in my head because I didn't test positive until a few days after my missed period!

I'm crossing my fingers that this time will be different.
Hopeful Momma

survivor

Postby midmama » Oct 09, 2011 10:47 pm

i found this site while looking up gluten intolerance,which i believe i have,and have possibly had all my life-anyway-i've had tears in my eyes reading all of these stories so much like my own . my children are 19 and almost 16 now -so,it's been awhile-but i certainly haven't forgotten the experience! i am so grateful to see that there are support groups and research for this condition.
midmama

PreviousNext

Return to New to the Forums