I'm lucky, but still struggling.

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I'm lucky, but still struggling.

Postby KHuffy » Apr 03, 2016 10:20 pm

This is my first pregnancy, first HG experience. I'm lucky and I know that. I have a doctor that is familiar with HG and is willing to prescribe the right meds and hydration schedules to keep me healthy. My family is understanding and though they live on the other side of the US from me they are willing to help in anyway they can, including visiting to take care of me while my husband is at work if necessary. My husband has a good job with amazing insurance that is paying for much more then expected based on the horror stories I've seen here. I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and after a scary 2 weeks where I was in and out of the hospital and trying to understand what was happening to me, I've been able to stay at home with minimal IV hydration appointments and mostly eating and drinking (albeit not a lot) at home for the last 5 days. I've stopped loosing weight at a rapid pace, and will occasionally even crave food instead of just forcing myself to eat. I've set alarms to go off and wake me up to take my Zofran every 6 hours to control the vomiting and have also been taking Diclegis to control the nausea, these meds are working to control, but not completely stop the symptoms I was experiencing. Like I said, I'm lucky compared to a lot of women with HG.

Here is the problem. I'm still highly depressed. I'm a full-time student (about to turn 30, just going back to school), or at least I was before this last month. My husband is trying to be understanding, but really wants me to keep going at least part-time (I've already dropped one of my most intense classes because I couldn't keep up through hospital visits). I just can't seem to drag myself out of bed to get my work done, even though I'm technically 'okay'; and my grades on the remaining classes are almost to the point of not being recoverable. I'm struggling to explain to him that even though my HG is now 'under control' that I'm still nauseous pretty much all the time and have to expend a serious amount of energy just to get up and go to the bathroom. He thinks that because I'm not constantly vomiting that I must be able to complete my work and attend my classes. Any ideas on how I can explain to him that even though I'm better, my new 100% is probably closer to my old 40% (if that)?

I want it to be clear, I'm not complaining about my condition. I feel so lucky to have HG that is controlled unlike a lot of ladies on this forum, and I can't imagine having to deal with worse symptoms while raising a family or not having the support I have. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it is okay for me to drop my classes while I'm going through this, and I'm looking for a way to tell my husband when he clearly wants me to keep going and 'tough it out'.
KHuffy

Re: I'm lucky, but still struggling.

Postby smatarazzo » Sep 30, 2016 10:23 am

Hi there! I know this was posted back in April, but are you still struggling? I went through this a lot with my first pregnancy, no one seems to really understand how bad it is on all levels. It isn't like a cold that you start to get better and can get back to normal life, it is a constant struggle to do anything normal and you don't feel like yourself even if you aren't vomiting as much as you had been. It's one of the worst illnesses in that regard, everyone is used to hearing about MS and so they just assume you are making a big deal out of something most pregnant women have to deal with. My husband would get frustrated with me not doing normal, everyday things like emptying the dishwasher and I'd have to remind him that even though I'm not puking, I still have no energy and no desire to do anything. Ask him he he thinks he could do his job with the worst hangover of his life while also having the stomach flu and not having slept for a few days :)
Hope it got better for you!
smatarazzo

Return to New to the Forums