Gaining weight AFTER baby (pp)

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Gaining weight AFTER baby (pp)

Postby DivineLotus » Sep 15, 2011 11:55 pm

So I was under weight during pregnancy. Then at birth I was still under. After, well... I'm 147. I can see my body and yes I've gotten thicker. I was 132 pre_preg. Plus I'm pettite so it totaly shows. Is it normal for a starving body to want to eat after the hell it has gone threw?

My body is so screwed up thanks to this whole ordeal. Am I the only one? I'm also still breastpumping. That I'm sure isn't helping either to lose the weight, idk.

Also, since I started working out I gained another 3 pounds. Could it be muscle? During my pregnancy it got so bad I had to learn to walk again. 5 min, 10, min 20min and so. In the past when I would work out I was heavy but I knew it was bc of the muscle. I was lean and no fat. Now I'm fat so I can't tell the difference really.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby slterwil » Sep 16, 2011 2:52 pm

HUGS. I'm there with you. After my HG pregnancies, weight comes back fast and then some. I've completely changed how I eat, watch my calories, and I exercise (lots of walking) and it still won't budge. I'm holding steady at 148-150. It's driving me nuts. I sincerely believe my body is trying to protect itself. It doesn't trust that it won't go through another period of starvation again and so it's saving for the just in case it would. HG screws metabolisms up big time. I'm 5' 2 1/2" so it definitely shows on me too. It's crazy though because even though my weight hasn't budged, my clothes fit better and I do look perhaps a little slimmer. Weird-huh? I am telling myself it will probably take at least a year and a half of properly feeding my body and working out moderately before the weight is going to come off. I want to do it slowly and steadily because chances are it will stay off better. Most important is how do you feel? Be patient and it will come.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby DivineLotus » Sep 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Your describing excatly what's going on. Pretty sure I'm no gonna lose it any time soon. What sucks is that before I would work out a few times and it would show. Now I'm doing the same yet no budge. I'm 5'3" so my belly sticks out and its soft. So disappointing to the 28 yrs of my old body.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby jarezuny » Sep 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Same same same here. I'm also a shorty (5'2") so any extra weight is totally noticeable.

I've tried watching what I eat and not watching what I eat and it doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of scale numbers. Same with working out, but with working out I found that although the numbers weren't moving on the scale, my clothes were fitting much better. I started with just "I want a flat(ter) tummy" as my main goal so that I wouldn't feel self-conscious in a t-shirt. That worked to get me motivated and to shift my focus at first. I don't even bother checking the scale any more.

It's so frustrating and not fair, though. Stupid HG.
-Jessica

Mom to Ewan (9/27/02) and Laren (9/03/09)
jarezuny
HG Expert

Postby eliana1300 » Sep 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I have had a ton of issues with weight since baby was born, and that was almost 4 years ago. I have always been on the heavier side of every chart (actually overweight), but I am tall so it doesn't show too much when I am. When I was pg, however, I actually lost so much weight, I was considered underweight. I had just met my pre-pg when I had my c-section, so with baby out, I was under my original weight again. I was actually at a healthy weight for my height, and I wanted to stay there, but I also refused to deprive myself of any food after birth for a year (I still have major issues with this now). That, combined with the starvation mode my body entered due to HG, and I packed on the weight, and more, right back within a year or so.

I have tried gym membership in the past, but I am finding that I really prefer to do my workouts at home. I am too self-conscious to be in a class, even if we all look silly together. I am using Wii Fit Plus to help me exercise and stretch, and it seems to help when I do it regularly. Hope you find something that works for you!
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby KarenJ » Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Same here 5/2 around 147...hard to get the weight off, I feel like I look HUGE! I am to the point of eating very little, which makes me feel nauseous all the time. I have started loosing a little, but I can't stand feeling sick. So this trend will not last long. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted. I miss those days. I was 143 after the last pregnancy, was 152-153 when I got pregnant. I would love to be 130 something again and although at this height 130 something is far from thin, I would be totally fine with that. But no matter what I do if I eat I gain.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby emmafenwick » Jan 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm the same. I'm around 148 at the moment and I'm 5'4. I can't seem to get it off no matter what I do. It's like our bodies are still in starvation mode or something and just hold on to every calorie we put in. What can we do about it?

emmafenwick

Re: Gaining weight AFTER baby (pp)

Postby rylanmede » Dec 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Most likely those 3 pounds you gained after working out are muscles because exercise will burn fats and add heavier muscles weight.
And it’s normal to gain weight during pregnancy and best if you don’t worry about it as you can always lose weight after you have your baby, basically you should gain 28 pounds during pregnancy if you were underweight before.
Hyperemesis gravidarum can lead to weight loss; learn how to gain weight so you can normalize your weight eating healthy foods.
rylanmede

Postby Nixjem » Dec 12, 2012 10:48 pm

This happened top me too. After my 3rd Hg pregancy I was working out 4 hrs a day & still gaining. Your body needs to rebuild the muscles it lost. Along with that your body think it still needs to hoard calories. I recommend keeping a food journal. I used my-calorie-counter. I wouldn't use it to limit your calories just to check on your intake of salts, sugars ect. I found my calorie intake was still low but I was consuming way too much sugar. Once I balnced what I was taking in I started losing & being able to eat more calories. It's important to strength train as part of recovery.
~Jame~
Hg 3X
Gwenevere Lyonne *Vera* 07/16/03
N. Damian 05/10/05
Harvey Jameson 04/04/07
Imogen Helene *Genie* 10/28/11 Hg Free Baby! :)
Nixjem
Been There Done That

Postby bbeknayak » Apr 01, 2015 2:03 am

It's really true dear rylanmede, that during pregnancy we gain weight and it's not an issue also as after baby the mom can loose their weight. Only exercises are not effective for your weight loss, we need to do a healthy life style with taking best diet plan along with your extra care. If you are doing a sitting job then you need to focus on your diet plan and physical exercise, because you rarely move in office hour. Update with your healthy life style to feel good. :D :D :D
Hyperemesis gravidarum is a platform where you gain the knowledge of obtaining or loosing weight for a better health. Find a healthy diet plan and count your fat with the difference.
bbeknayak

Postby DivineLotus » Apr 12, 2015 3:09 pm

I actually did eventually gain the strength back and was able to lose the weight. After three years of constant trying. Now that I'm pregnant with number two. I hope I don't balloon up like I did last time.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15

First HG baby. 4/11/11
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum