Still Recovering

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Still Recovering

Postby leahmsilverman » Jan 21, 2014 11:50 am

So, I've been mostly MIA since the birth of my baby last August. You forget how long it takes to really recover from HG, and not just physically. What a mental tug of war, no? I think get so excited to "get my life back" when the baby is born, but then, "oh wait... I'm still not normal."

I think I'm getting there. And coming to terms (again) with the fact that it is just kind of a long process.
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Re: Still Recovering

Postby serephimlafey » Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am

I was wondering if i was ever going to get normal. I had my baby in November but i remember recovering a lot faster with my other two. My mother in law, who is Cambodian, said it takes up to a year to recover from birth in their culture and i can see why. I'm just taking it day by day.
Barbara
Mommy to
Eli, Dec 02, first hg baby
Luc, Mar 06, second hg baby
Mairin Jade, Nov 13, 3rd hg baby
And baby #4 due early Aug. Hg from 5 weeks
serephimlafey
Been There Done That

Postby Saph18 » Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello !
In my case, I would say that it took about 2 months to recover physically (Mostly because of a c-section), about 2 months to start developping some affection for the baby, and about 9 months to recover psychologically...
DS 2012-10: HG from 7-Birth (Diclectin/Metoclopramide - Depression) Survivor
DD 2014-05: HG from 4-Birth (Diclectin/Zofran) Survivor
Saph18
Been There Done That

Postby leahmsilverman » Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm

I felt like my recovery, in all aspects, was faster with my first two as well. Maybe because I know this is my last, it is lingering...?
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby serephimlafey » Jan 23, 2014 2:57 am

My little girl is my last too. Maybe it is because of that.
Barbara
Mommy to
Eli, Dec 02, first hg baby
Luc, Mar 06, second hg baby
Mairin Jade, Nov 13, 3rd hg baby
And baby #4 due early Aug. Hg from 5 weeks
serephimlafey
Been There Done That

Postby ShannonD » Jan 24, 2014 3:04 pm

I know I didn't fully start feeling like my "old" self until a year, year & a half after my first was born. In the beginning it's just physical recovery from delivery, then the sleep deprivation & adjustments to being a Mom, then dealing with all the psychological issues related with having HG. OMG the first gastrointestinal bug that I got after having my son had me in an absolute panic!! I was crying, freaking out because I vomited & had flash backs to my months of suffering from HG. Every late period (& I have lots) would have my anxiety levels maxed out. All non-HG mom's go through a lot of the same.... but we just have some extra issues to deal with.... fun, fun.... :S
Owen - 2008/09/06 - HG 5 wks until delivery, untreated/diagnosed until 18wks, multiple IV's & Zofran, lost 55lbs
DS - Due Date 2014/03/12 - HG 5-22wks, multiple IV's, Zofran & Acupuncture, lost 35lbs. Medicated Fluffy 22-32wks. HG started back up at 32wks :(
ShannonD
Been There Done That

Postby JeannaCava » Feb 03, 2014 12:33 am

I was kind of glad to read this. I know that must sound so awful. I'm just glad it's not just me. With my first 2, it wasn't nearly so severe, and then in Oct 2012 I was doing very poorly. My doc saw me and immediately sent me to hospital saying I may be there a while. When I asked for a time frame, he said, "Well, until you're better." Said it could be a few months, but hopefully not the rest of the pregnancy, but I may have extra appointments etc. It was a miracle that it was a few days (3, actually). My son was born April 10, 2013. I am so tired of being sick! I don't have extreme symptoms usually, and still have protonix and zofran left over that I use as needed. But I just want to be normal and not experience all those symptoms. I've been sick for 19 months now. Getting better for the last 10, gradually, but 19 months of illness is a LONG time. To top it off, I found out last week my hubby kind of thought I was milking it all. He thinks I should be over this. I agree. I told him every day I exhaust myself physically and emotionally, and I go on b/c I don't have a choice. But the more I do, the worse I feel, so I have to have times where I catch up on rest and take it easy. I had so hoped my case would be one that stopped when my son was born.
JeannaCava

Postby Chinwetina » Jul 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I was sick for 16weeks wth hp,was on 3different medication to stop it,it did not work,sometimes i cant eat for days but the doctors kept giving me meication thru the iv,finally lost the baby at 16weeks,had infection and was treated with antibiotics ,had no energy in me,was very weak.is been 6weeks still recovering from hp and the loss,have seen a physicologist,but the recovering is so slow,still trying to get my energy back,gong out is difficult for,guess it takes some time to recover,feeling so anxious to get my life back
Any advice please
Chinwetina

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum