How many children do you say that you have?

Help with physical and emotional healing for moms who have suffered loss.

Moderators: justme, ***, deb

How many children do you say that you have?

Postby Jenny » Mar 28, 2006 12:15 am

A good friend posted this and it really touched my heart. Let me know what you think...

http://www.brainchildmag.com/essays/win ... ppman.html

[quote]If you lose a child, how many kids do you have?

By Elizabeth Uppman

"Is this your only child?"

I am pushing a grocery cart with a toddler in it. The old lady is throwing me the gentlest conversational hook: the opportunity to talk about my children. Some mothers are happy to have this kind of conversation; some just tolerate it. Me, I want to drop through the floor, fake a seizureâ€â€
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby mandy » Mar 28, 2006 3:59 am

Jenny,

That was amazing to read. A precious insight which I will carry with me, which will defianately give me confidence when talking to those friends of mine who have lost children (or partners etc).

I have learnt a lot this year supporting my friend who lost her pregnancy at a very late stage in the Summer. To read a passage like that really re-enforces to me the need for me not to be nervous of sharing her experience and stories of her child over and over. How, if I step over my hesitations, I will actually be helping her much more than I can imagine.

My heart goes out to all who deal with these emotions that Elizabeth Uppman wrote about. Thanks for sharing that.

M x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby dwtegli » Mar 28, 2006 10:01 am

Jenny,

Thank you for sharing that. It certainly gave me a different perspective to look at when being told of the loss of a loved one. That will be in my heart and mind for a while. Thank you.
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Mar 28, 2006 7:01 pm

That was just beautiful.
Thank you.
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Return to Loss, Grief & Recovery