Moderator Intro

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

How often have you seen reference to HG in the media

Never
46%
A couple (1-3)
31%
A few (4-6)
23%
In print only, not on TV
No votes
Many times both in print and on TV
No votes

Total votes : 13

Moderator Intro

Postby justme » Nov 14, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi All,

If you are here - you either have, have had in the past or know someone who has HG. Unfortunately, not a lot of info is out there about HG, and a lot of it is wrong, crackerific, or under represents how HG can impact a family.

One of my goals for this forum is to help keep aware of how HG is being portrayed in the media. So as you are out and about, please look for:

HG in newspaper, magazine, etc articles
HG on your favorite shows (BAby Story, Oprah, etc.)

And if you are encountered with a depiction of HG, please consider doing the following:
Write a letter to the editor sharing your personal story to help give HG a personal face
Write a letter to the editor correcting any misinformation you come across
Take opportunities in the public to discuss your HG experiences (being interviewed for a magzine article about something else, maybe you can take a moment to work in a reference to HER)

I am a librarian, so I spend some time a few times a week searching to see what is out there about HG. Unfortunately, I can go months without finding anything. But as I find it, I will share it here. I hope you will join me in doing the same. The more info we have out there about HG, the greatly the possibility that someone will come across it and finally understand what is happening to them and know how to ask for help. Here's to making pregnancies less sucky and healthy mommas and babies!!!!!

Karen
Last edited by justme on Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Nov 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Karen, this is total library talk - but have you tried searching databases such as Ebsco? I found some helpful stuff on there. If you don't have access to Ebsco, I can search my library's databases and send you emails of the articles if you want.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Nov 15, 2006 9:28 am

I've seen it a few times but mostly just in passing. It has never gone into detail and the information isn't usually the most accurate. I couldn't tell you specific instances though.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby tatteredtoo » Nov 15, 2006 12:26 pm

I've seen one article on HG that was not in connection with this website and it wasn't from a show or media standpoint really. It was from a different website and discussed one of the 'editors' experiences with HG and how doable it is. I don't think that the website gets much traffic other than from repeat visitors. There was also a forum on the website where I talk about HG, but unforunately the women on the forum weren't very receptive to talking about it at all. I still mention it whenever I can though. I keep my eyes on the look out all the time and will post about anything else I find. :)
Tina
2 Full term HG pregnancies and 1 HG anembryonic pregnancy (7-8 weeks)
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Return to HG Awareness & Activism