A so/so article from BabyFit

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

A so/so article from BabyFit

Postby Mikey&Bree'sMama(src) » Jan 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Got this article today in an email from one of those "fluffy" sites, BabyFit. It starts out pretty good, but ends up sounding like that book by Miriam Erick--which isn't surprising, the website at the end is her "Take Two Crackers and Call Me in the Morning".

Pregnancy Sickness
Symptoms, Triggers and Food Options for Morning Sickness
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed and Registered Dietician

Although it is most often called morning sickness, a more appropriate term is "pregnancy sickness", since it can occur morning, noon or night. If you experience it, you're not alone, 50-90% of moms-to-be are affected by nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. The condition is annoying, unpleasant and unpredictable for most. However, it can be a serious and life-threatening condition for those who end up requiring hospitalization due to dehydration and malnutrition.

Current theories suggest that pregnancy sickness is related to an increase in various hormones that are present during pregnancy. The three main hormone suspects are: progesterone, human chorionic gonadotropin, and estrogen.

Pregnancy sickness usually subsides and the symptoms lessen by the end of the first trimester. However, for some moms-to-be the symptoms can remain until the baby is delivered. Symptoms can include:

* Nausea, queasiness, vomiting
* Possible headaches
* Dizziness
* Heightened sense of smell
* Irritability
* Increased salivation
* Dry mouth
* Motion sickness
* Parched, dry, cracked lips
* Shivering and chills

It is important to try and identify the symptoms you have and locate the triggers of these pregnancy sickness symptoms. Then by alternating your schedule, routine or environment, you can avoid or eliminate them. For example, some of these triggers may bring about a pregnancy sickness response:

* Fatigue
* Being suddenly awakened by the alarm clock
* Morning breath of your bed partner
* Bed movement caused by your bed partner
* An empty stomach
* Certain smells (food and non-food--the nose knows
* An airtight room with little ventilation
* Certain foods

Try to get the nausea under control and then return to your normal, healthy eating plan. What "sounds" good to eat? Does it help to settle your stomach? For some, this might be cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples; but for others it might be potato chips and lemonade. Remember to include a beverage to help rehydrate the body. The minerals, sodium, potassium, and magnesium are critical for muscle contraction and stomach emptying. Many have found relief with:

* Lemons (to lick or smell)
* Tart lemonade
* Salted potato chips, pretzels, tortilla chips
* Saltine crackers
* Fresh watermelon
* Dill pickles
* Tart Granny Smith apples
* Tangy ginger ale
* Frozen grapes
* Mashed or baked potatoes
* Water with a lime twist
* Gatorade
* Ginger tea

Do not hesitate to discuss the topic of pregnancy sickness with your health care provider. Ask for a referral to a Registered Dietitian who has experience in dealing with the nutritional care and management of pregnancy sickness. If your pregnancy sickness is disabling and you are having trouble functioning, ask for a referral to a mental health clinic, social worker or psychiatrist. Check out this web site for additional help and support: http://www.morningsickness.net/.
Renee
Mikey&Bree'sMama(src)
Opinionated HGer

Postby Xphile_mo » Jan 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Lol, I personally am liking the "increased" saliva part of that list!!! (sorry - can't seem to get quotes to work!). INCREASED my butt! :evil: I drown daily if I dare try to lie on my back for even a few seconds!!! :lol:

And as for the things that MAY cause/worsen the nausea, how about ALL of them?!?!?!? :shock: Or the fact that almost ALL of the suggested food/drink mentioned were intolerable for most of the pregnancy??? To be fair, mashed potatoes were pretty much what I lived on for the majority of this pregnancy! So I could tolerate one thing on the list! I'm sure many of you couldn't tolerate ANY though!

Why don't women who actually suffer this write a book about it - obviously there would still be some foods etc that may be debatable (as we're all different and have tolerated different things!) but it would be far more realistic.

But I suppose any publicity is still better than none and we should be grateful ..... ?!? :roll:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Return to HG Awareness & Activism