Help please! Problems getting a Zofran Pump thru UHC

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Help please! Problems getting a Zofran Pump thru UHC

Postby 3rdStrikeMomma » Sep 19, 2014 11:22 pm

I live in Indiana and have United Healthcare insurance. I'm 15 weeks into my 3rd pregnancy and 2nd and most severe experience with HG. I'm very sick (several ER visits, lost 16 lbs, vomiting many times a day etc). My OB/Midwife suggested trying the Zofran Pump. However, UHC does not have a current contract with Alere (the medical eequipment provider that typically provides the pump and related home health). My Dr's nurse says she is trying other providers with no success and I have called 10+ providers myself. None offer the Zofran Pump. Does anyone know who else offers the Zofran Pump in Indiana? Or how to help UHC understand the pump is cheaper than the repeated visits to the ER for fluids and meds? Tia for any help.
3rdStrikeMomma

Re: Help please! Problems getting a Zofran Pump thru UHC

Postby aaronsmommy » Sep 20, 2014 8:49 am

There is nothing really special about a zofran pump, if they offer subQ pumps, they can do Zofran. Lots of people have had other companies do a pump. Maybe it is the way they phrase the question (and who they are asking)?

It needs to be larger volume pump than the typical insulin pump, but there are lots of options out there. It has been a while since I have done one myself, so I don't know the specific pump types currently available.

I think the questions to ask would be, do you provide subcutaneous medication administration? If the answer is yes, then to speak to the actual pharmacist about doing Zofran (or just send the order). They might need to be a little more specific on the order about the dosing. As I recall, the typical concentration in 1 or 2 mg/ml, and then they can specify the total daily dose that you get.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment