Iron deficiency anemia

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Iron deficiency anemia

Postby Gail » Mar 08, 2005 10:56 am

Has any one ever been diagnosed as having iron defieciency anemia? This will be a new dx for me.
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 08, 2005 12:44 pm

I was anemic with each pregnancy. Since I couldn't tolerate iron supplements, we just kept an eye on it with frequent blood checks, and then after delivery made sure I got my levels back up. The only time it was a problem was when I lost blood during delivery with my last baby; I had to take a lot of iron and had no energy after that, and I struggled with breastfeeding. But my hemoglobin was back up within normal range by my 6-week postpartum check, so good food and resting with baby definitely helped.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

after miscarriage I was

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 08, 2005 12:57 pm

I struggled with anemia after miscarrying Hope, but never before in my entire life...including HG pgs.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby nomore » Mar 08, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with this when I hit puberty and started getting my period (which apparently is not super uncommon). I tested "normal" again after 2/3 years and again was diagnosed in pregnancy. I hear its not super uncommon then either, epsecially if you have HG, since the baby takes EVERYTHING from you :)

I was put on iron again after delivery of my DD. I took it for about 3 months, and finally couldnt take the side effects from the iron anymore. I have not be retested since, but I also take a prenatal with iron (food based), which is MUCH easier on my tummy.

Ive never been overly worried about this. Amenia does make you very tired. Not pregnant, I try to make sure I eat iron rich foods (IE: brocilli, dark green veggies, some red meat, etc).

Good luck

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby chichie » Mar 09, 2005 4:23 am

When I was hospitalized for HG they told me I had a slight anemia, this is all I know :? they gave me pills of iron by of course I threw them, what a surprise... :?
Elisa born on february 2004, 6kg610 and 52.5cm at week 38, after HG weignt loss 8%
chichie

Postby Gail » Mar 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Thank you everyone for responding. I'm not sure if this is what's wrong w/ me or not. They did a bone marrow biopsy b/c there were other things going on besides my low iron levels. I started out w/ an extremely heavy period that lasted for over a week. When I had my blood drawn, things didn't look to good. My blood counts were all low. I had a platelet transfusion and 2 blood transfusions. I know what they're looking for w/ the biopsy, but I'm hoping for the best. While in the hospital, I had high doses of iv premerin to stop my bleeding. It worked but it was like being pg all over again. The nausea was just as severe. Now I have to double up on BC pills, so I don't get my period again for awhile, and take iron pills three times a day. I feel like crap these days and waiting for the test results is torture. I was planning on ttc this summer but it looks like that may be off for now, possibly ever.
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby emily » Mar 09, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi Gail,

I have thalessemia anemia (type II). It is a GENETIC anemia. It might be worth looking into since it causes my blood counts to come up VERY low as well, but no amount of iron in the world will cure it. In fact, I had two great aunts who died in the 40s from iron poisioning from the doctors who didn't know any better at the time.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 09, 2005 9:35 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Gail! It sounds horrible. I hope they can figure out what's going on and get it under control soon. I was wondering if I'd missed that you were expecting, but now I understand. Hope you're soon able to go ahead with baby plans. Good luck!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mammaclare » Mar 10, 2005 1:41 am

Another common missed diagnosis with very low iron stores (this is part of what they will look for in the marrow) is celiac disease. There is a simple blood test for it and then some docs want a large intestine biopsy to confirm. It is basically an "allergy" to gluten (in wheat and alot of other things) and your body loses the ability to absorb nutrients.

If nothing else comes up, I would bring it to the docs attention--especially if you have ever had bouts of diarrhea, constipation, tummy bloat (not PG of course!), etc.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby Gail » Mar 10, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks guy's. I'm on my way to my appt now, so we'll see. The Dr. sounded hopeful it was just iron defiecency anemia, the biopsy was just a precaution.
I was wondering how many other hg'ers have iron defieciency as well. A friend at work, prior to being pg, has it as well. Was just wondering if there was a link :?
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby Lil7Deb » Mar 17, 2005 6:48 pm

I was severely anemic with my first pregnancy. I wonder though if it's more of a by product of not being able to eat.

Hopefully if it's an anemia problem you can handle the Iron supplements. I did very well with mine, they tasted like chocolate!
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby Gail » Mar 17, 2005 10:53 pm

It turns out that I am severly iron deficient. The Dr. believes that this may have initally have ocurred when I was pg last yr and then had the m/c. After the m/c I also bled alot, so that didn't help matters either. So 1 yr's worth of periods later and I was close to death. They're still not sure why my platlets were low, thought it might have been a response to the severe anemia. Now I have to take high doses of bc pills so I don't have another period until my platelets are higher, (so I don't almost bleed to death again) and take iron pills 3 times a day. It's almost like being pg again, constant nausea and constipation :?
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Gail
Opinionated HGer

glad there's an answer

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 17, 2005 11:27 pm

Hi Gail,

Glad you have an answer and a solution. Sorry you have suffered for so long.

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

iron deficiency anemia

Postby Jeanne » Apr 20, 2005 7:37 pm

I also have iron deficiency anemia,. My counts had gotten so bad that they were giving me weekly iron infusions. Now I have graduated to getting them monthly. I have heavy periods but have had them my entire life so I don't think it is the cause of this now. My counts had looked horrible for more than 6 months with a ferritin of 3. It was when all my counts bottomed out that they finally did something. I still haven't found out the root cause; although I did a capsule endoscopy (where you swallow a camera) and it showed some areas in my duodenum that were healing. We are not sure if that is where the blood loss was coming from. I don't absorb oral iron, because I take antireflux meds which inhibit the absorbption of oral iron supplements. I have had horrible GI trouble since my last HG pregnancy (2001) and am starting to figure things out. Good luck.
Jeanne
Nathan 4/99
Grace 1/01
Jeanne

Postby HelenA » Sep 08, 2005 4:10 pm

I had an iron deficiency from about half way into my pregnancy, as I was unable to handle any type of pill until at least 25 weeks I was completely shattered, in addition to the HG I pretty much stayed in bed. The first kind of iron tablets they gave me were Ferrous Gluconate 300mg twice a day, I really heaved on them and refused to take them, at 30 weeks they changed it to Ferrous sulphate 200mg three times a day. However if I took all 3 pills I was violently sick, but I could manage one tablet a day if I took it an hour after the phenergan.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Sep 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Anemic again with Five (aka Jack). Blah.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Polls & General HG Questions