Do your family members have HG?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Does HG run in your family?

Yes, I am not the only HGer in the family.
40%
No, I am the only HGer in my family.
60%

Total votes : 206

Postby Nixjem » Jan 02, 2007 6:23 pm

HAS HG:

1 Aunt

DOES NOT HAVE HG:

2 grandmothers, mother, 3 aunts, 7 cousins
~Jame~
Hg 3X
Gwenevere Lyonne *Vera* 07/16/03
N. Damian 05/10/05
Harvey Jameson 04/04/07
Imogen Helene *Genie* 10/28/11 Hg Free Baby! :)
Nixjem
Been There Done That

Family members

Postby ChrEliza » Jan 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Had HG: Mom, 2 paternal aunts

My grandmother had severe morning sickness with my Mom but it got progressively better with each subsequent pregnancy - probably not HG

No HG - 1 paternal aunt, 1 maternal aunt, cousin (daughter of the one paternal aunt who didn't have HG)

Not sure about my other grandmother.
Christy
*Benjamin Hyatt (12/04/03)
*Gabriella Elizabeth(12/06/06)
ChrEliza

Postby mrs dressup » Jan 18, 2007 12:33 am

I have it, my mother had it with both of her pregnancies and we're not sure about my sister yet as she hasn't been prego. She's got a sensitive stomach though so I'll bet she'll be sick.

Don't think any of my aunts, grandmothers or cousins suffered though.
mrs dressup
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kenderyl » Jan 18, 2007 12:39 am

Once I was diagnosed I asked my mother and paternal grandmother if any of the women in our family had severe vomiting in pregnancy (being as they didn't understand the term "HG" or "hyperemesis"). With both sides of the family, to their understanding, no one had any abnormal symptoms of pregnancy. There *was* a death involving my great-grandmother but my grandmother was too young to understand what was wrong and didn't have any avenues for me to investigate it. My grandmother said that she *may* have been pregnant but that all she remembered was that her mother was extremely ill.

/shrug
Mother to Boo (19), Hopie (18), Kimberz (15), Gracie (9), RiverMonster (6), and our youngest to be...??
Consider me an experienced HG Survivor! 4/5 pregnancies w/ severe HG from conception to birth.
Facebook: Kenderyl
Kenderyl
HG Diva

Postby minnesotamama » Jan 18, 2007 1:07 am

Thus far I am the only one.... I have two younger sisters who do not have any children, so they could end up with it, but I really hope they don't.

My mom, grandmas, no one I know has ever had this or even heard of it until me!
Brenda
minnesotamama
Master of HG

Postby jajanko » Feb 10, 2007 2:53 am

I had hg with all 3 of my pregnancies. I am the only girl child my parents had. However, my mom and all three of her sisters had hg in all their pregnancies.

Mom:3, Aunt#1:2, Aunt#2:3, Aunt#3:4+ (can't remember the exact # of pg she had, only 1 baby made it to term)

According to my mom and aunts, my maternal grandmother also suffered from severe nausea and vomiting throughout her 4 pregnancies.

Only one female cousin has had children yet, and with all 5 of her pregnancies she only had normal morning sickness nausea which was gone by the end of the 1st trimester.

Hope this helps.
Jennifer
3 HG pregnancies
Julia 12/01
Andrew 7/05
#3 lost 10/25/06 at 17.5 wks because of severe hg
jajanko

Postby Hilary » Feb 12, 2007 11:20 am

Have had it:
Maternal and Paternal Great Grandmothers, and Grandmothers
Mother (moderate for 3 pg, mild, for 2)
Sister
Mother-in-law (severe 2pgs, moderate 2 pgs, NONE for 1)
Me (no way to avoid it, it's all over lol)

Out of the cousins on my paternal side that have had children so far 4 out of 7 have had HG. All three that did not get HG are sisters and their mother is the one paternal aunt I have that did nt get HG. I have one sister who is 16, she is scared to death to ever get pg. After seeing my other sister, cousins, and me go through HG, she wants to adopt when she reaches that point in her life.

Have not:
One maternal aunt ("just severe m/s")(I am guessing that she had it
with one of my cousins, but not the other 2)
One paternal aunt
Hilary
Devoted to You

HG researchers need your help!

Postby mfejzo » Mar 21, 2007 11:53 am

Thank you for your interest in this poll. Thanks to you and the HER surveys, we have now found strong evidence for familial aggregation of HG which means we should be able to find the genes and finally, the biological cause of HG which should lead to better therapies and maybe even a cure, but we need your participation in our study, whether you have a family history or not.

Our is designed to identify individuals affected with HG, to study epidemiologic factors via an online survey, to collect DNA samples from saliva through the mail at no cost or travel for you, and to search for genes and risk factors that may be potentially associated with this condition. To be eligible, you must have suffered from HG and had treatment for your HG that includes i.v. hydration, TPN or other form of non-oral feeding (ie nasogastric feeding), OR both, and are able to recruit a friend with at least 2 pregnancies who has NOT suffered from HG to serve as a control. If you live in the United States and are interested, please contact me, Marlena Schoenberg Fejzo, PhD at nvpstudy@usc.edu or (310)210-0802.

Identification of genes and risk factors that contribute to HG will lead to a better understanding of the causes of severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, and should be a first step toward the development of more effective treatments or a cure for this devastating disease.

Thank you for your help!

Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

I'm the only one

Postby Honey » Apr 10, 2007 11:17 am

I am the only woman in my family to have suffered from HG. I think that is why it is so hard for many of my family members to understand what I am going through. At first I think many of them thought I was exaggerating how sick I was or I was just being a wimp about having morning sickness. They are slowly starting to come around though.

Honey
Honey

Postby jen1473 » May 13, 2007 1:46 pm

I've had HG twice so far and thinking about going for a third.

My mom didn't have it - nor can she think of anyone else in the family that has had it.

My sister has had 2 babies and was barely even nauseous with both pregnancies!!! Hate her!! :lol:

So - I'm the lone HGer in my family...

Jen
jen1473
Devoted to You

Postby jmwmommysings3 » May 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Those with: my sister and I.

My sister was diagnosed with her second pregnancy as having HG though it was very mild and was gone by the second tri. She was prescribed Zofran.

I went through 3 pregnancies without being told what this was yet I have it the entire 9 months, in and out of the hospital, on multiple meds, and IV's, TPN, and PICC. It wasn't until this fourth baby that I found out it has a name.

Those without: everyone else. My mom never had morning sickness even.
Down to earth breastfeeding support "pub" at The Leaky B@@b http://leakyboob.blogspot.com/
Blogging our adventures here: http://everydayrebel.blogspot.com/
Ophelia- severe, undiagnosed HG, 11.20.98
Lavinia- moderate HG, 03.25.01
Helena- very severe HG, 03.03.03
Evangeline- severe-moderate HG 01.10.08
jmwmommysings3
Master of HG

Postby nataliej19 » Jun 08, 2007 8:37 pm

so far i'm the only one. so i don't have anyone to talk to about it.
natalie

nataliej19
Welcomed Friend

Postby terrierhead » Jun 09, 2007 4:57 pm

From my mom's description, she had HG when she was pregnant with me. She had severe symptoms until 5 months, and didn't gain any weight until 7 months along.

And when I was growing up, I always thought she was exaggerating about how miserable it was! :oops:
terrierhead
Been There Done That

family with HG

Postby JME » Aug 05, 2007 12:27 am

I have HG, and have had one PG)
Mom had hg and had one PG -- her 3 female sibling's did not have HG
my grandma did NOT have HG with 8 PG's
my grandpa's mother had HG, with all 4 pg's... she died while PG with 5th.
my grandpa's sister had HG with both of her pg's, his other sister did not have HG with 11 pg's

Jamie
JME

Postby bethanyk » Aug 30, 2007 1:27 am

I'm the only one in my family to have had it so far. I do have a younger sister and several female cousins who have not been pg yet, so I don't know about any of them. I believe my HG is due to sensitivity to hormones as I have never been able to tolerate any form of hormonal BC without severe vomitting, which has not been a problem for anyone else in my family.
bethanyk
HG Expert

Postby dedee74 » Sep 14, 2007 9:50 pm

I am not sure other than my mother and grandmother. My grandmother said it was a family curse but that was about it. She does not like to talk about having babies and does her best to discourage me from having them. My fathers side hasn't had any I think. I came to this conclusion because noone was very sympathetic to my mom most told her it was in her head. And then I was just copying my mother when I got sick.
Marcy mom of DD 12(light morning sickness), DD 10(med HG), DS 4 (light HG), DD 2(no HG), 1 Angel lost 12/06(No HG), one on the way (med HG worst than before)
dedee74

Postby toi » Oct 19, 2007 10:13 am

Had HG:
me- 2 pregnancies, 1st with twins but lost one, 2nd a singleton
my sister- all 3 pregnancies
my mom
my grandma
my great aunt

No HG:
there are no other women in my family but my great grandma and we just don't know since she is deceased
toi
Devoted to You

Postby Mommy2myHGkids » Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm

Well, my mom never had it and I was just over my dads the other day and his mom was there and we were talking and she was saying how ungodly sick she was when she was pregnant. And my dad and I came to the conclusion that I must have gotten it from her gene. B/c my dad's mom doesnt have any daughters and no other granddaughter. So, I am the VERY "lucky" one who got HG!! woohoo.. :verygreen: Thanks Grandma! I REALLY hope my daughter doesnt get it when she grows up and has kids of her own. :|

Joni
Mommy 2 my HG kids, KayLeigh (11-19-03) & Kaleb (11-04-05).
Mommy2myHGkids

Previous

Return to Polls & General HG Questions