Aidan Gabriel Martin Waters' birth story!

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Aidan Gabriel Martin Waters' birth story!

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jan 15, 2006 2:46 am

VERY, VERY LOOOONNNNGGGG!

After 2 sleepless nights home with our little guy, please excuse any spelling errors and lapses in coherency :shock:
I'm on top of the moon! He is so sweet, and I'm just in heaven. I had no idea it was THIS amazing! And NO HG!!! It's GONE!!!!! I wasn't even nauseous after general anesthesia! It took me 2 days to eat without thinking "what hellish consequences will this meal bring me!!" I can eat whatever, mixed with whatever else, lie down afterwards, drink whatever, WITHOUT FEELING QUEASY, VOMITING, REFLUXING, INDIGESTIONING, OR ANYTHING! YIPPEEEE! And, I have an adorable little guy to boot! Ah, life is GOOD!

Aidan was born via c-section and general anesthesia (the section bec. of previous surgery, and gen. anesthesia bec. I have a benign growth on my spinal cord that presses on nerves in there, and even though I was perfectly willing to take a small risk and go with a spinal or epi, the docs were dead-set against it. But it was terrifying to think that it could affect the baby's breathing).
But it went well! He scored 10/10 on the Apgar scale, and his lungs were clear when he was born! He gave a lusty scream, and my husband, who was supposed to wait right outside the o.r., ran in and cried and jumped for joy :D He was with Aidan thereafter, until I was stable enough for them to come to me 2 hours later.
The staff were amazing, warm and patient, and they put me at great ease. In an emotional moment before they put me under, I pleaded to the anesthesiologist, a woman who is a mom to a 2 year old, to please take care of my baby, make sure he gets help breathing if he needs it, if he's affected by the general anesthesia. She looked down at me with the warmest look and was teary-eyed, and said she and the whole team would absolutely do that. I was quite calm about everything else. I hated the catheter, which felt so invasive. But it's worth it to avoid getting nicked on the bladder. But still, ugh!
When I woke up, the pain came with a bang. I had told the staff not to tell me the gender, to let John do it, but people kept coming in and almost telling me. It was hilarious. I and others kept yelling in Norwegian, "DON'T SAY THE GENDER!" At one point though I thought someone said "you have a gorgeous baby gi..," so was shocked when John came in and announced the arrival of a SON! By then the pain was under control, and Aidan nursed right away. He was alert and curious right away, and the midwife said that in 16 years of being part of c-section teams, she'd never seen a baby so alert, especially one born under general!
I got to my room 7 hours after the birth, and John, Aidan and my mom were there waiting for me. I felt deep joy, and bonded with the baby right away, which I hadn't expected. I thought it would take more time, especially since it was such a lousy pg. And I thought it took time to feel a bond with a little "stranger." Oh no! I guess going in with no expectations about how I would feel was a good thing.
The next few days are a bit hazy. BF was very painful at first, but now it is only painful when he latches on. He's lost over 10 pct. of his birthweight, and my milk isn't enough for him yet so he's getting formula after I nurse. Without it, he sleeps for maybe 5 min. and wakes up screaming with hunger pains.
They are very strict about c-section moms getting up right away, and had me off the morphine pretty much by day 2. I am in agony physically. Peeing burns and cramps me, and the wound is sore! My shoulders, back and butt are SO hurting, and it's hard to get comfortable. I'll need some serious physio-training to get back muscle tone and flexiblity. But all pales and is so worth it for this little treasure!
Ok, this next bit is gonna be GROSS, but is also funny!!! You HAVE been warned! Poopment coming.....!!!
I was seriously constipated by day 4, so I got an enema and got to use the really nice, warmed up bathroom with armposts on the toilet seat. I REALLY needed to go, but not much was happening. Eventually I realized that I was blocked, and there was turd the width of Texas in there, refusing to budge! I panicked, and was gonna call the nurse, but then started digging myself :shock: ! Ugh, right!?!! It took over an hour and 3 flushes, but finally, I got it all out! My c-section wound actually felt better after that 8) !!!! Hehe! Relief after 7 mo. on Zofran! I had to do it once more at home. I guess things are backed up above the bowels. Man, unreal what Zoie did to my system, as much as the stuff was a lifesaver!
Back to much more pleasant topics.....!!
About his name, we love the name Aidan, and John is Irish so it works nicely with his dad's heritage. I'm Jewish. so Gabriel is a tribute to that culture. It's a name I've always loved. Martin is after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Aidan's due date is on the great man's birthday, so we wanted him to feel a connection to a man of peace and greatness. We'll call him Aidan, when he's good :wink:
So, bf is the problem area now. I hope more milk comes in soon. I feel terrible not having enough.
My mom is also a problem area in a way. She has some serious boundary issues, and has been quite invasive. As much as I want to include her, it's taking it's toll on me. Last night she told John that I must set boundaries with visitors (who btw, I invite and want to see!), and that I must learn to say no. HAHA! She's full of advice, worry, etc. Yesterday she said something like, "you have two, and I have no one," when I tried to set a mini-boundary about something. Meaning, because I have John and Aidan and she's alone, I need to be extra sorry for her and include her in everything. She was here yesterday all day, then wanted to come with us to the hosp. to check Aidan's billirubin levels. I wish I nicely told her not to come. I thought I was going to choke. She insisted on sitting in the back with him, and it kept saying that when she's not with him she misses him, and only thinks of him, etc. I love that she loves him, and don't want to hurt her, but I'm choking! Pre-Aidan I was better at boundaries with her, but now that he's here I feel so guilty. Ah well, it'll get better with time. After a few more days/weeks of this if it doesn't get better I will definitely need to set boundaries! She has no life and few friends, so she takes on mine. Argh!
But first and foremost, I had a wonderful c-section experience, as best as one can be anyway, and I'm sooo happy!!!!

Hugs

Sarah
Last edited by Mom to Aidan & Daniel on Jan 16, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby Atsie » Jan 15, 2006 8:29 am

Wow, they took great care of you. I am glad it went so well.

When Jordan was born I had the same Mom issues. Fortunaly she worked so it was mostly evening she came over. I never did figure out how to tell her not to come. I tried for DD's CTscan but she still showed up! It got better though.

I hope the pain goes away. Enjoy Aidan!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby helen-l-a » Jan 15, 2006 8:45 am

Congratulations!!!!

As for b/f it can take up to 6 weeks for it all to settle down so hang in there with that, but glad that you are now HG FREE!!! It is an amazing feeling not feeling sick anymore! :lol:

Helenxxx :D
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby Natalie » Jan 15, 2006 9:07 am

So pleased for you Sarah :D

I know it's not the exact way you would have wanted things re: the birth but your sweet baby boy is here safe and well and you're HG FREE!!!!!!

Hope you manage to sort the boundary thing with your mum. GL!!!

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Congrats

Postby BethersinMN » Jan 15, 2006 9:12 am

Congrats glad you and baby are ok.
BethersinMN- Justin 1/9/96 SEVERE HG (9 wks-36.5 wks) Ryan 4/18/09 (HG & Severe Preeclampsia and Hellp at 25 wks emerg c-sec 29 weeks) and 4 beautiful angels 05/21/04, 11/16/04, 7/28/06 & 10/6/12 forever loved with God & my parents till we are all together. We have begun another journey to bring another Baby-Love home. God please grant us faith, strength, courage, patientence and love through this each and every day.
BethersinMN
HG Diva

Postby Natalie » Jan 15, 2006 9:17 am

Btw, on the erm... 'manual evacuation'... You are not the first person and you won't be the last to carry out this 'procedure'. There was even a thread about it some time ago :lol:

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jan 15, 2006 11:10 am

Thank you so much ladies! It's so wonderful to share good news with you!
Natalie, was there really a thread about M.E. (manual elimination--may as well have a scientific sounding code for it :D ) !! I thought I discovered this brave way of relieving 7 months of Zoie bowel havoc (Z.B.H.??) after HG No Can GO (H.G.N.C.G.!!). Hehe! Ok, I'm getting silly in my sleep-deprived state! Please don't get me thrown off the site :D
On the mom thing, at least I know how NOT to parent my child from her example! She's so sweet, but can alienate people by her lack of boundaries. She's here now, been here for a few hours, with no sign of moving from Aidan's side. the advice and comments are coming quietly but steadily. The latest was that maybe I don't have enough fat in my milk, and that's why he's not getting satisfied from me. I guess I need to go get my milk analyzed in a lab then :roll:
I just ate a great big meal, and it's staying down, no tummyache, no queasiness, no nothing! I still have one Zofran pill in my cupboard. I think I will have a ceremonial "tossing of the pill" event at the lake nearby one of these days!
Aidan's jaundice level was a bit lower yesterday, but he had lost another 50 grams. I'm going to our local health center tomorrow to weigh him and speak with his baby nurse.
I couldn't have made it so sanely (subjective opinion) without you ladies!!

Hugs

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby nomore » Jan 15, 2006 12:27 pm

Sarah-

Congrats on Aidan :) Im so happy the birth went well!!!!! Its funny, although I have no desire to take it, I refuse to part with my zofran and phenergan. It will sit with us until its expired (god forbid we get a stomach virus...lol).

I love the name Aidan SO much. I have had strong feeling my 2nd pregnancy (a loss) was a boy. I wanted to name him Aidan.

And, lastly, my Mom is here too, and just know you are not alone. Remember, she probably means well, even though it may not seem like it at the time :roll:

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Congratulations

Postby Irene » Jan 15, 2006 7:06 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!

I am so happy on your behalf! I still remember how wonderfull it felt loading up food on my plate after delivery! HGFREE! hurra. LOVE the name! It must be terrible not to be able to be on your own with your little family. About milk problems. I went from overproducing to losing my milk 5 (!) times due to a nr of different reasons. Got it back every time! The "helsestation" and dr all gave different advice, some totaly wrong and my Emily's low weight was an added stress factor, not helping my milk production. What was an enormus help and relief was calling AMMEHJELPEN! They are experts and couldn't have been more wonderfull. Your milk will come. There are many ways to get the production up. Believe me, I know. My "helsesøster" was apaling. The male dr was ignorant. Ammehjelp (nursingaid) was SUPER!!! Go to www.ammehjelpen.no for the tlf contakt list if interested. I strongly recomend Unni Byrknes in Tromsø, if she is still doing it. Every town has their own ammehjelp's, but you can call anyone you want. Her nr is 77610873. The best of luck. Feel free to mail me if you want to know what worked for me. Wish you all the joys of mother hood. I cried the day after delivery, holding Emily in my arms, because she was so wonderfull, I knew I would have to do it all over again! Best whises to you and your family!

Stor klem fra Irene
Irene
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » Jan 16, 2006 11:18 am

Sarah,

so glad things went well. I have a mother who means well, too, but sure can say and do the darndest things.

Irene,

It is great to see someone else from Norway.

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby sickofit » Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm

congrats! your birth story brought a tear to my eye..i cant wait for the arrival of my son..on the mom front, whoa.that would be tough. hopefully you wont need her soon and she can go..we are having to tell my dh's parents they cannot come to visit for a while after the baby is born because of boundary issues too..and we tell m,y relatives we dont need people to help out by "holding the baby" while i do chores..boundaries are tough..i feel possessive of my baby already..strange, i didnt feel that way with the first. anyhow, congratulations and good luck, margorie
sickofit
Opinionated HGer

Postby dwtegli » Jan 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Sarah,

Congratulations, I love the name Aiden. I am so happy that you have your beautiful little boy and are feeling better finally.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Return to Birth Announcements