Thank You

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

Thank You

Postby AJ's Mom » Feb 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Thank you for bringing attention to such an awful condition that so many women must suffer through.

I am an HG survivor who suffered with HG from 6 weeks through delivery without even a diagnosis from my doctor. I endured 8 months of dehydration, weight loss, depression, malnutrition, bi-weekly IV's, experimenting with medications, and ridicule. It is a common perception that the mother is just being overdramatic and that they just have some morning sickness. My Dr. is part of a prestigious hospital named one of the top 50 in the U.S. and still, no one diagnosed me.

HG is such a life altering experience. Still, 16 months later, my family and I are dealing with the financial and emotional toll HG has taken on our lives. We are struggling with debt due to numerous hospitalizations and having to go on short term disability at only a percentage of my pay earlier than we had planned for. This is even with top of the line insurance. This was a planned and terribly wanted pregnancy so we did everything we thought we could do to plan. We never imagined this is what would happen.

Now I am also struggling with the anxiety left over from HG. I can't even discuss my pregnancy without breaking down. HG leaves you with the most empty feeling that I can't even describe. Instead of looking through my daughter's baby book to see happy pregnancy pictures, all that is there are tear stained pages of hospital bracelets. I am so thankful that I found HelpHer.org. If only more women knew about HG and the resources out there to help them through it. I wish I had while I was pregnant.

I hope that you are able to convey the misery HG causes not only during pregnancy but also the devastation it can have afterwards as well. Thank you again.
Mom to Adrienne Noel
Born October 8, 2005
HG 6 weeks thru delivery
AJ's Mom

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil