New Girl from UK

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

New Girl from UK

Postby zoe2006 » Dec 01, 2006 10:59 am

Hello all,
My name is Zoe and I live in Lincolnshire UK with my husband and 2yr old daughter.
I am 15 weeks Pregnant with my 2nd child and have Hyperemesis for the second time. I'm taking Cyclizine 3 times a day and still vomitting most days a couple of times. I've avoided dehydration so far but have come close to it a few times - luckily I managed to keep enough fluids down though.
I have my mum living with me to care for me and my daughter while DH is at work so I am really blessed.
I have had little support from my GP and have never actually been diagnosed as having HG face to face ( I just noticed 'Hyperemisis on my notes). I dont think my GP even knows what HG really is!!
I had slightly better support from my GP during my first pregnancy but still was never actually diagnosed with HG.
I thought it was just that I was allergic to pregnancy or something until I found this site - it was like coming home!
I have taken such strength from reading other womens experiences and found myself saying ' that's exactly how it was/is for me' so many times.
I dont know of any support groups in the UK..does anyone else?

I am still not able to look after my daughter /self/house at the moment but feel slightly better than I did in the early weeks.
I'd love to hear from other ladies from the UK
thanks for reading my story,
Zoe x
zoe2006

Postby Natalie » Dec 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi Zoe,

So glad you found us :) I am in a real hurry right now so can't write more but will but will write a longer response later or tomorrow. Just wanted to acknowledge your post.

Hang in there!

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Dec 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Hi Zoe,

I'm not too far from you, so if you'd like me to be your support buddy, I'd be happy to help. Where abouts in Lincs are you? I have friends in Spalding, I'm in Peterborough, and just finished my second pregnancy. I have 2 girls, Kimi who is 18 months and JJ who is 10wks.

When you say you are vomiting a couple of times a day with the cyclizine, is that an improvement on not taking it? Also you can take more than one med. If the cyclizine doesn't work (did absolutely nothing for me) there are other meds you can try. Stemitil is successful for some women, but again that didn't work for me, but phenergan did work, the only problem was it made me really sleepy, not good with a toddler. But if your mum is there helping out, then get as much rest and sleep as you can. If you need anything at all, just holler.
:hugs:
Helen
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

also from the UK.........

Postby kk » Dec 01, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi, Im sorry to read that this is your second time with HG. It was nice to know that you have the help you need which; I have found out you really do need help to do everyday tasks. This is my first time with HG so has been a bit of a shock as this will be my second child. I never experienced this the first time. This site has been brilliant from the moment I found it. The other ladies have been so supportive in their replies and words of wisdom aand have found it has taken the burden away by sharing it with others. I do hope the meds start working soon......keep us up to date!?!

Kk

Kate x x x x x x x x
kk
Opinionated HGer

Postby Natalie » Dec 02, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi again Zoe,

Well, I'm glad you found the site. This site is an amazingly supportive place to come. It's so great to find somewhere where you are understood and can be sure no one will advise to to eat FOODMENT crackers in the morning and try ginger nuts END FOODMENT. It was like free therapy for me when I first joined lol

So how was your first pgy? Did the HG go or did it hang around for the full 9 months? Did you try any meds?

Well, it sounds as though even though you are still vomiting a few times a day, things are pretty much under control so long as your mum is there to help huh? How's the nausea? crippling or tolerable? Anyway, I'm pleased to see the HG ahs got a little easier. Well, the first tri is generally considered the worst in terms of HG so you *should* be on the up from now.

Keep us updated

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Natasha » Dec 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Hi Zoe,

I am sorry your doc isn't being very supportive. This site is amazing. Everyone here can truly relate to how you are feeling.
Hope things start to improve for you soon.

Natasha
Natasha
Been There Done That

Hello again!

Postby zoe2006 » Dec 06, 2006 7:06 am

Hi Ladies,:D

Big thanks to you all for replying - especially Helen (I live nr Sleaford so not far at all really!).
I have been a lot better this PG really. I actually vomit more often despite the Cyclizine but without it I cant even keep liquid down. I didnt take meds till 6 mnths with my first PG by which time I was much better :roll:. I was just never offered them till then - astounding really!
This time I made sure I got them straight away. They dont stop the nausea feeling and do make it more painful when I vomit as they contract the stomach so it's like your body works twice as hard to be sick. :sickfast: (sorry if TMI!)

I would say althoughthe nausea is horrible that I can cope with it as long as that's ALL I have to do! As soon as I try to do anything the Nausea gets intolerable and exhaustion sets in within minutes.

So I'm feeling pretty useless at the mo but so grateful for my mum looking after Abi!

At least this time I can use my computer to keep me amused - last time I couldnt do ANYTHING not even watch TV cos the light was intolerable. I got off more lightly this time I guess so shouldnt complain...only 5 months to go now anyway and I must be over the worst although I still have bad days.

I guess the main thing is that this time I have 'got my head around it' a lot earlier on...although the first few weeks I was secretly hoping to miscarry every day cos I felt so bad (awful but I know you ladies understand). Because I knew it would go after the birth and I wouldnt die this time (wasnt sure with Abi!) then I've been much better in myself.

I read on the net that Cyclizine (also called Valoid) has had some trials where it has caused birth defects in animals when taken later in Pregnancy. That's worrying! I know Abi turned out just fine, however this time I'm worried as I've had to take it from the beginning and bigger doses.

Anyway, I'm so grateful to anyone who reads my ramblings! It's just such a relief to find a place like this! Hope you ladies are feeling OK?

Love Zoe & Abi x :D
zoe2006

Postby HelenA » Dec 06, 2006 7:43 am

WOW so many things in your story sound just like mine. With Kimi I never got prescribed anything at all, even though I was in hospital with IV's at 10 wks. Oh well they did give me chlorpromazine but that made me even worse, major projectiles there. After that they never bothered, said that if I was sick with them then I would be with all of them... Lovely. I found this site a 6 months and thats when I learnt that phenergan is over the counter and got some.

As for throwing up more on cyclizine, have you asked your dr about suppositories? I had domperidone supps when I couldn't swallow the liquid to take pills., and I know others girls have tried supps of different kinds.

No, you're not far from me, in fact every time I get on the main road from my house I see a sign for Sleaford..lol Maybe I'll inflict myself on you when you've had this baby!! :wink: Unless of course you need anything before then.

:hugs:
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Dec 06, 2006 8:23 am

Hi Zoe,

I had stemetil in supps which was much easier to use, but I feel that stemetil and cyclizine did very little for me. If I did it again I would keep trying diff meds. Helen's phenergen sounds like a good thing to try.

I took meds from 4ish weeks with both my children. They both turned out super fine - no problems at all. I also felt improvements from around 18 + weeks. Hg never went but it was much more bearable then. Hopefully you are really coming through the worst and things will get better for you soon.

I am glad you found us here!

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Return to UK Mothers