Another HG in Scotland.

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Another HG in Scotland.

Postby Scott » Jul 13, 2004 11:10 am

Hi everyone,I live in Paisley in Scotland with my fiance who was diagnosed(eventually)with HG about 7(very,very long)weeks ago.

This is our 2nd pregnancy,as my fiance had a miscarriage a few months back.

I have been disapointed with the lack of information given to me by doctors,midwifes,and nurses on HG so far,hence why I turned to the internet.

I am interested in how people who's partner is HG+ (so to speak)get by,I myself feel very tired,stressed,helpless,and basicaly just worn out.I know my fiance must feel a million times worse than myself,which makes me feel even worse.

My fiance has been admitted to hospital 8 times now,usualy she is admitted for 4-5 days,then when she is released i get her home for a day,maybe 2 if we are lucky.

So far my fiance has only been given the IV,an injection was tried(not sure what though)but failed to have any effect.After reading some info on this site I asked the doctor at the local hospital about zofran(seems to be a favourite abroad).

The doctor has told me that they may well end up trying zofran soon if there is no change(she is now 12weeks almost).The NHS seems stubborn when it comes to using newer drugs/medication apparently.

Im wondering also if there are any information type groups within scotland/uk that anyone could point me to as not many people seem to even know what HG is.

Ironically my fiance first got hit with HG on her birthday,which I was trying to make special :(
"I just need some sleep!!"
Scott

Postby emily » Jul 13, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi there. I am really not much help. I know there are others on here that are not in the States. 12 weeks, 8 hospitalizations and NO ZOFRAN??? What the heck! The only thing that I can tell you for sure is that your fiance is probably unable to do much to help herself and she needs you to be strong and be her advocate. Print off all of the stuff on this website and take it to the doctors. She needs more treatment than what she is currently receiving no matter what the doctors tell you.

GL!
emily
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Jul 14, 2004 2:32 pm

Scott -

I'm so sorry to hear that your fiance is suffering so badly. I know from firsthand experience that it's such a hard thing for both of you.

I live in the U.S. and really am not knowledgeable about meds in Scotland, but I wanted to pass along this link to you - it is a list of the meds that are commonly used for HGers. Although the names of the drugs will probably be different, maybe you could print out this list and discuss the Scotland-equivalents with her doctor or pharmacist. http://helpher.org/mothers/treatments/medications.php

Now that your fiance is 12 weeks along, she could easily be given steroids to help stabilize her. I know that Jacqueline in Ireland has been on steroids this pregnancy and they really helped her. I think she printed off some info about using steroids for HG and convinced her doctor that it was worth a try. I was also on steroids during my pregnancy and they saved me! I'd recommend them for any HGer who is 10-12 weeks along and not doing well. Here is a little bit of info for you to read (and pass along to your fiance's doctor) about them:
http://helpher.org/mothers/treatments/steroid.php
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... &DB=PubMed
http://www.nvp-volumes.org/p1_17.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

Hang in there. HG is such a horrible thing to survive, but I know it can be done. And every minute of the suffering is worth it for a BABY!

Keep us posted and please let your fiance know that we're thinking about her. She is lucky to have you!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Scott » Jul 16, 2004 11:12 am

Thank you for the links,and the support,its good just having a place where other people know what HG is to talk to,and of course let of steam lol.
"I just need some sleep!!"
Scott

Postby stephensmam » Aug 05, 2004 4:20 am

Hi scott,
sorry im only getting to this now im only out of hosp again, as clare says im from southern Ireland and this is my second pg first time aound excatly like your fiancie i had multipul admissions to hosp with only ivs i get so depressed so i didnt want to go through that again so here i am 6 and a hgalf years later 34 and a half weeks pg with no 2 this time i took zofran from 4 weeks and went into hosp at 7 and stayed there till week 13 i started on steriods 30mg prednisalone at 12 weeks and i was out of hosp at 13 weeks while not a miricale cure it did enable me to eat and have some good days , i also managed to put back on the weitghet id lost and more lol, but you must be firm with the drs most dont agree with steroids in pg and i had to fight to get them even if the nhs dosent pay for them just get the prescription and pay for them your self they are so cheep i think a months suply was only 4 euro and 5o cent,

good luck
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Return to UK Mothers