New in the UK - anyone want to chat?

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

New in the UK - anyone want to chat?

Postby Cosmogirl » Apr 13, 2011 9:46 am

Hi I am new to posting on these forums. I am in the UK and would be interested in chatting to any mums in the UK about HG/treatment etc. I had HG with DD who is now 2 but was very poorly informed/supported during my preg. If I have another one day I would like to be prepared.

Would love to chat and support other mothers suffering with this horrendous illness.

Best wishes
Cosmogirl

Postby JulianaHG » Apr 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Last edited by JulianaHG on Jul 02, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulianaHG
Opinionated HGer

Postby sufferingbadly » May 08, 2011 7:58 am

Hi, I had hyperemesis in 2009 and am not ready to go through it again yet so baby number two is most definitely not on the cards... but I am just starting to think/plan ahead (years ahead!) to what I could do to help myself get through the next pregnancy, if there is one. It's such a horrible thought... having to go through HG again... and not only that, also not be able to look after your first child. :-( Here anytime if you want to chat. xx
Joseph Peter was born on 27th December 2009. Suffered with HG from week 5, eased at week 17, again at week 20/21 and again at week 22/23... leaving me with 'morning' sickness until delivery when the sickness disappeared!
sufferingbadly
Opinionated HGer

New to the HER site, going through HG second time right now,

Postby Claire2ndHG » May 19, 2011 9:25 am

Hi

I am in the UK and am curently suffering with HG again in my second pregnancy. I had HG with my first pregnancy which was just over a year ago! Mad hey for doing it all again!! I just figured I would have my babies, and go through HG while my little one is only one, hoping this wont impact him massivly, so he can't remember mummy being so ill. I am 12 weeks gone and since week 5 have had severe HG. My doctors have no clue how to help me and think HG is psychological, I have met many small minded health proffesionals who say the same. I have only been prescribed one type of anti sickness and it does nothing! I was hospitalised in my last pregnancy a few times and put on IV fluids which for a while make you feel semi human, this time round the docs wont hospitalise me unless I am at what they call "critical stage" I am so upset and angry with the lack of help and support and now don't know where to turn.. my husbnd has to keep taking days off work unpaid to look after our son and I, while i spend all day isolated in my dark bedroom in bed away from lfe, have 1st scan on the 26th, how they expect me to keep a pint of water down for that I have no idea!! in my last preg HG eased off at week 20 but then came back for a while.. any tips? what do your docs do to help?? x x x
Second time HG sufferer at the moment :(
Claire2ndHG

Postby sufferingbadly » May 19, 2011 2:29 pm

It's shocking how bad care ican be for hyperemesis, especially here in the UK! :-( I found the drugs worked best for me when rotated. It was as if my body got used to one and stopped responding, I don't know. So I took cyclizine for say 5 days, then stemetil for 5 days, and so on. I was allowed zofran once in hospital for last time at 16 weeks. Have you checked whether you have ketones in your urine? You can buy self tests to do at home online, or ask gp to test. If so you should Def be eligible for iv fluids. Well done for being so brave to have another so soon. I am in awe! XX
Joseph Peter was born on 27th December 2009. Suffered with HG from week 5, eased at week 17, again at week 20/21 and again at week 22/23... leaving me with 'morning' sickness until delivery when the sickness disappeared!
sufferingbadly
Opinionated HGer

Postby Mumsdream » May 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi all, you must have three pluses of Ketones in your urine to be considered for admission. Appropriate treatment is really lacking in the UK!

If I was advising a friend, I would say, ask to speak to the Consultant, if he/she is unsympathetic beg to have a second opinion, if that fails, ask to speak to the supervisor of midwives, see the link below on her role

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Nurses-and-midwiv ... -midwives/

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Nurses-and-midwiv ... -midwives/

You could also, ask if your hospital has a Patient Advocate, this person has been employed to act as an advocate for you.

I do hope this is helpful
Mumsdream
Welcomed Friend

Postby ally_nurse » Jun 07, 2011 6:47 am

Hi, I know what you mean about wanting to be prepared!! HG is horrendous.. I had a horrible time until I was admitted at 12/14 weeks really dehydrated and constantly vomiting by then. I don't know how i managed to go that long. I had tried cyclizine which didn't work, and phenergan with minimal effect. After I was discharged, it all started up again. My GP put me on ondansetron (zofran) which I took 4mg am and pm, plus cyclizine. I was still vomitting on and off, and felt horrendously sick, retching loads. Eventually at about 24 weeks they tried stemetil too which helped stop the retching mostly. Continued to feel hideously sick the whole way through until i delivered at 38wks. I don't know if anyone else managed to get ondansetron in the UK? i was so grateful they let me have it til i delivered and the HG disappeared. x
Caleb born Feb 2010 - HG until 38wks
ally_nurse

Hi there, I'm pregnant and in Scotland. Had HG and NVP

Postby nemomum » Jul 06, 2011 11:16 am

HI there,
I'm currently pregnant after having a big think about whether to go for it again. I had HG for my entire first pregnancy and had a healthy baby girl. I spent 14 months researching HG after that pregnancy and went for it again recently. It has been better this time. The nausea kicked in at week 6 and I immediately went to doc for cyclizine. I think this early treatment may have helped a lot. I am now experiencing mainly nausea but I get days where I am sick a few times. I have good days and bad days and this seems to depend on whether I have to get up early or not and whether I manage to keep any food down or not. I'm not on any tablets now. I got cyclizine but they stopped working then I got stematil but it never worked and tasted vile. I then tried phenergen and had side effects so that's it. I'm not being offered steroids but wouldn't want them. I'm glad this pregnancy is manageable and I just hope it doesn't turn nasty (touch wood) but I do find it difficult on the bad days to keep my toddler amused. I found out I had an underactive thyroid after pregnancy one so that may have made it worse the first time and this time I have medication for that.

Do keep in touch. Getting pregnant again after being ill is such a huge decision, isn't it?
nemomum
Been There Done That

Being prepared

Postby nemomum » Jul 06, 2011 11:17 am

I should have said, I put on weight with the underactive thyroid then lost a stone but I decided to keep on two stone incase it was as bad as the first time when I lost a huge amount of weight. I've lost half a stone so far (wk 13) so I suppose having some extra weight was my preparation. I also took vitamins and things and got all my dental work done before getting pregnant (repairs from pregnancy one).

What are you doing as preparation?
nemomum
Been There Done That

new website and support network in the UK

Postby MOH100 » Jul 25, 2011 9:17 am

Hi to all sick UK mums. I'm an HG sufferer from a family of sufferers and I was so upset by the lack on information in the UK that I set up my own website with contributions from mums on the mumsnet HG support forum. The address is

www.pregnancysicknesssos.co.uk.

There's practical advice from those who've been through it about coping strategies, things to try eating and drinking etc. There's a section on treatments, including tips on what to do if your doctor refuses to medicate. There's also a section on research with links to research papers and published treatment protocols that you can print off and take to your doctor. There's also some papers on research which shows that HG is NOT a psychological condition. I can't show all full text versions on the website for copyright reasons, but if anyone wants any pdf's just message me or submit a form on the 'your comments' page of my website and I'll send them to you.

I'm also involved in a group who are establishing a UK support network for sufferers. The idea is that you can request contact by phone or email from someone in your local area, someone who knows how you feel and will NOT just advise you to try ginger bloody biscuits. They may also be able to advocate for you with your doctor/hospital. You can access this by submitting a request on the UK support network page of the website.

There are places in the UK where you can get good treatment for HG - they're few and far between, but they do exist and they show the way. When your doctor tells you that there's nothing they can give you, or it's all in your mind, their advice is several decades out of date and they should be ashamed of their own ignorance.
MOH100

Postby Mumsdream » Sep 02, 2011 8:51 am

MOH300

Thank you for the link! Going to read your material now.
Mumsdream
Welcomed Friend

Return to UK Mothers