2nd pregnancy

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

2nd pregnancy

Postby claireL » Nov 14, 2011 3:55 am

Hi, I have posted here in the past. I just found out I am pregnant again and so far I am very happy with the support I have been getting.

I have severe HG with my 1st, this was 10 years ago. I was sick all through my pregnancy and spent more time in hospital than at home. I had TPN feed for 6 weeks and was eventually induced to end the sickness.

So a few days ago I had a scan at 6 weeks. On that same day I started being sick for the 1st time this pregnancy. It was every 10 minutes. When I arrived for the scan and saw the nurse, I was admitted straight on to the ward and put on a drip. I was given cyclizine which stopped the sickness. I came home after 24 hours and they have given me tablets to take at home, being able to take them when I feel nauseous and before I am sick is actually working!

During my last pregnancy, It was such a struggle, it took 2 weeks to get admitted in to hospital, they gave me no meds for home. The midwifes were unsportive and made me feel like I was to blame. I have gone to a different hospital this time. I hope that the difference in treatment is down to better training and understanding.

I am just so happy the tablets are working!
claireL

Postby Natalie » Nov 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Brilliant news about the meds working - so sorry you are ill again.

Congrats on the new pregnancy!

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby claireL » Nov 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks, I have been in hospital 3 times in the past two weeks now so it is not all been great .

The doctors have been really great this time though, very sympathtic and supportive.

They have given me both ondansetron and cyclizine to take together.
claireL

Postby Natalie » Nov 29, 2011 5:35 am

Well that's not so good on the being in / out of hospital but at least you have found a combination of meds that is working. Don't be afraid to up the doseage or switch and try a new combination if the effectiveness of what you are currently taking starts to wear off.

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Return to UK Mothers