looking 4 advice on HG

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

looking 4 advice on HG

Postby brooksy » Jan 24, 2006 7:15 am

hello all
im new here my gf is pregnant for the second time we lost the first one about 12 to 16 weeks but this time she is bad 6 weeks in we did not know about HG till i seen this and she has just gone in to hosp but r not doing much they think its just bad sickness but she has got all the things to say it's HG.can anyone give me some advice
brooksy

Postby HelenA » Jan 24, 2006 8:17 am

Hi Brooksy - Are you by any chance in the UK? That is a very typical dr's response, in fact pretty much the response I got with my last pregnancy, when I had to actually fight to get into hospital.

First of all be INSISTANT, don't let them walk all over you, read up on HG and take reading material with you for the dr's if necessary, some of them don't even really know what it is! If the dr won't help you demand a referral. I have just had my first bad experience with a dr (I'm 7½ weeks) and I have booked in to see someone else on friday as I was sooo not happy with what he was saying.

When she gets home, send her here, believe me it makes a difference! I was 6 months gone when I found this place last year and I cried so much reading all the posts realising that was me in all the stories, and the girls on here are so supportive and give great advice. I kept coming back here to help others after I had my first daughter and now I'm back in the first trimester board again, I couldn't tear myself away, everyone here is like family.

This is just my opinion but last time the dr's refused to give me any medication that worked so I got phenergan (Over the counter here in the UK) and it did help a bit. This time around they have precribed it to me and I've already started taking it as the nausea has just started kicking in.

The most important thing is that you are understanding of her condition, that will be the MOST important thing for her as she will be feeling like cr*p. Help out around the house where you can, try and keep cooking smells to an absolute minimum, as that will make her worse.

My partner wrote a post a while back, you may find some hope and inspiration in there. Here's a link to it.

http://www.helpher.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2920

Good luck and Congratulations on your new baby!

Helen xx
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby brooksy » Jan 24, 2006 3:01 pm

hi
thanks for the reply,yes im in the u.k.my partner went to her g.p with all the symptoms of HG,we had printed a page from the HG website to show the doc and he still tried to fob us off,he sent her to hospital for dehydration.we have now convinced the hospital that she is suffering with HG i think..she has had anti sickness injections so this all being well will help.but when she gets out i'l give her the link you have given me.i'l keep in touch and let you know
brooksy

Postby HelenA » Jan 24, 2006 3:11 pm

I also had the injections in the thigh, I believe they were a Vit B6 combination injection... it's been over a year since I had it, but I think that's what it was.

How is she doing? Feeling any better? Please stay strong and don't take no for an answer when it comes to these dumb docotrs. The UK is probably one of the worst countries for HG treatment, and if you let them they will try to fob you off.

Lets hope you're not near where I am (Cambs) as I have been very disappointed in my care with both the last pregnancy and so far this one. I'm just hoping the new dr will be more pro-active on friday.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Jan 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi Brooksy

Congrats on the new pgy. Sorry to hear about your gf's suffering. How is she doing now? Is she still in the hospital?

I just want to back up what Helen has said about the NHS and their treatment of women with HG. It is patchy at best and downright awful in some places. It menas that we really have to be on our toes to ensure we get the best care possible and that means treading on the Dr's toes when necessary and not being blinded by the age old 'Dr knows best'. Because from what I've seen, that is hardly ever the case.

I would advise you to keep reading up on HG as much as you can so that you can't be fobbed off. It's ok for the health professionals - they get to go home at 5pm and switch off. Your gf does not have that option unfortunately.

Also, when your gf comes out of hospital, try to ensure she has some kind of a prescription for an anti-emetic. Do you have an understanding GP? Research shows that if you are pro-active in the treatment of HG from early on, it can prevent it from getting as bad as it could otherwise get.

Good luck and do come back here for support and info. There's a separate forum here for partners of HGers - you may find some extra support in there.

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby brooksy » Jan 25, 2006 7:38 am

hello thanks for all of your replys it realy helps to know iv got some support ..........my gf is now feeling better but for how long....when she first went in to the hospital she was still very sick and the doctors could not stop it but after 24 hours they gave her an injection in her leg and she has now stoped being sick........i looked on her med records yesterday and was pleased to see that they are now treating her for hg :D she also had a scan yesterday and we got a pic .the baby is doing fine and she is just over 8 weeks................we dont know when she will be discharged but i hope that she now gets the help she needs as i said her gp did not help her at all. i will keep you updated.and also ask about the anti emetic that you told me about ...............THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
brooksy

Postby madcow » Feb 06, 2006 2:09 pm

:D hi bro :D

look iv got my pic of you and annmarie

:shock: do you like it :shock:
ImageImageImage
madcow
Welcomed Friend

Return to UK Mothers