New to the boards-Canadian in New Zealand

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

New to the boards-Canadian in New Zealand

Postby mrs dressup » Jan 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Hello,

I guess I kind of cover 2 locations....Canada and New Zealand. I am new to this website but not new to HG.

Around 9 years ago, I got pregnant (not entirely planned). We were pretty surprised but trying to deal with it and the rest of our lives (I'd also just had a promotion at work). By week 8, the sickness was so gruelling (is that how its spelled?) that I made the decision, without the support of my partner, to terminate the pregnancy. I could not stand feeling like that one more day.

Afterwards, it was about 2 years until we decided to try to have a baby. I was nervous but thought I could deal with the sickness if it came up. I also knew about diclectin by then and had been very actively involved in the birth community in my city in Canada. I have been a birth doula for the past 6 years.

We tried and tried, and basically, after about 1.5 years of trying, came to find out that the only way to conceive was through IVF. Long story short, I was able to finally get preggers in my 2nd IVF cycle in Jan/Feb/05. I was getting sick by week 5. My sickness consisted not of vomitting (thank goodness as I have a terrible phobia) but such excessive nausea that I could not function at all. I couldn't eat much but I was able to sip water throughout the day. I was put on diclectin (the standard amount of 4 tabs/day) and by week 8, I was up to 8 tabs/day + gravol. I felt awful but atleast I wasn't barfing. Sadly, I lost the baby at 17 weeks due to incompetent cervix but even on that day, I was still taking 5 diclectin and needed to take gravol to top it up.

Just before Christmas/06, I found myself preggers again from frozen embryos from my 4th IVF cycle. This cycle was done in New Zealand as we moved here in March/06. Again, from about 5 1/2 weeks, I started to find myself feeling nauseated. They do not have diclectin here, so I got a different antihistamine and B6 from my GP (so glad I have her!). It took the edge of (sort of).

Maternity services are much different here than in Canada. Everyone gets a midwife but people like me, who are considered "high risk", can also see an OB as well either publicly funded or private pay.

I knew that I was going to get a whole lot sicker. I talked to a few midwives and all they ever said to me is "some nausea and vomitting in early pregnancy is a good thing". Talk about making me feel like a hypochondriac!

***FOODMENT***By week 8, I was really feeling awful. It seemed that I could only eat something once and then never again. The mere thought of food would make me so sick and gaggy that I ate only bananas and the odd piece of toast (and had to FORCE that down). Worse, I was so hungry and I'd force myself to eat thinking it would make me feel better but it only made me feel sicker. And drinking fluids was pretty much out of the question. The very idea of water also invoked such intense feelings of nausea that it was all I could do get my pills down. ***FOODMENT OVER***

Last Thursday, just under 9 weeks, I met with my GP again. The meds I was taking were not working anymore. She put me on Maxolon (Reglan). I started that last Thursday and had a reasonable day in which I was able to consume some items-not much but I had such hopes that this would fix me. NOT!!!

By Saturday, I was worse than ever before. Couldn't lift my head off the pillow without being crazy dizzy and severely nauseaus. I had been suffering quite a bit up to this point...but I consider this specific day to be rock bottom. I couldn't even get up to let the dog go out for a pee. I was so dehydrated that I'd virtually stopped peeing. My lips were getting horribly chapped (which I've just found out is a sign of dehydration) and my headache was horrible.

Last Sunday I took matters into my own hands. I had some leftover Zofran from a surgery that I'd had and I decided on Sunday morning, after weighing myself only to find that from 6 weeks to 9 weeks, I'd lost 10lbs, that Zofran was my next step. I had a great day! I was able to get some nourishment and even to leave the house and walk the dog on the beach with my hubby.

On Monday I went to see the OB and ask her for script for Zofran. She basically told me that my body is equipped to deal with NVP. She never bothered to ask how much I was drinking or eating, how much I was urinating, sleeping etc. I never mentioned yet how the nausea was wakign me up at night and I could never get back to sleep! After some major pushing she wrote me a small (2 wk) script for Zofran.

One thing about NZ.....Zofran is not readily available. I have to do some major haggling and sneakyness to get access to it. The good news is that it is a LOT cheaper than in Canada and the US.

Anyway, bottom line is that Zofran has been a miracle for me (so far with the exception that I can no longer poop :takingzofran: ). I"m going to be 10 weeks on Saturday and seriously hoping that I can maintain at this level. I still feel nauseaous but I am now able to eat and drink again (most of the time). Last night was the first night in nearly 2 weeks that I actually had to wake up several times to pee. I do still supplement with gravol or another antihistamine and B6 too.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I needed to get this off my chest to people who understand. It has been very frustrating that basically no health professionals have taken me seriously with the exception of my GP. It makes me sad to think of the many women in NZ who are suffering needlessly because "NVP is a normal part of pregnancy" and their carers don't bother to ask them questions about what is going on.
mrs dressup
Welcomed Friend

Postby bibliojo » Jan 18, 2007 12:04 am

Welcome! :D I love your username...a true Canadian thing! I loved that show when I was a kid... :)

I'm sorry you've been through so much just to get to this point. Your losses, the infertility, the HG... :hugs: It's so very hard isn't it?

Keep on pushing for the Zofran if it works. I'm appalled by some of the poor care the Australian girls get down there. Can you have your GP talk to your OB? Or can you just see your GP if she's the only one that gets it?

And one last thing...watch the Reglan (Maxeran) for symptoms of restlessness and depression. I was on Maxeran my first pregnancy and nobody told me about the depressive side effects of it. The HG made me miserable enough to begin with but the Maxeran made me seriously want to die.

If you feel up to it, post in the first trimester folder and introduce yourself to the girls there - that's where the real action is. This folder tends only to get views from those living outside the US. But I'm sure some of those ladies will be popping in to say hi and welcome too. :)
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby minnesotamama » Jan 18, 2007 1:16 am

Just wanted to say hi and welcome! I am not from Canada or New Zealand, (I am in Minnesota), but I wanted you to know that we are here to support you in whatever ways we can.

Trudy is also from New Zealand, so maybe she can help on the doctor front. I believe she is on the North Island. Not sure where you are located.

I hope that you can get some better medical care and keep getting that zofran!! I hope that HG will pass quickly and you can have fluffy time!

Let us know how we can help!
Brenda
minnesotamama
Master of HG

Postby Natalie » Jan 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi and welcome :)

Trudy will probably be along shortly to offer some support and advice! It's so nice to see another Kiwi about. There are a few about dotted here and there although some don't post much anymore.

So glad you found us and congrats on the pgy, although sorry about the HG, obviously.

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mrs dressup » Jan 18, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Although I have to say that I feel a bit bad posting here. Some people have suffered so much more than me....I feel like a lightweight and that I shouldn't say anything.

I just cannot imagine vomitting 50x/day (although I suppose I'm not out of the woods just yet!). Its still early days as I'm only about 10 weeks now but I am definitely hoping for reprieve earlier than last time......

So, I'll venture over to the First Tri board and introduce myself.
mrs dressup
Welcomed Friend

Postby Trudy » Jan 19, 2007 3:46 am

Hi Tami

I am so sorry for all you have been through already, HG takes so much from us. Congratulations on you pregnancy but I'm sorry you have hg again.

I have had 3 HG pregnancies, all treated very differently. My last pg was the best, as far as having HG goes. I managed to avoid hospital stays (apart for 1 day in A&E which was necessary to get my Zofran covered). My 1st pg I spent 3 months in hospital until we lost our babies. My 2nd pg I spent almost 5 months in hospital until the Dr got sick of me being there and finally gave in and gave me a script for Zofran at home.

Are you under a midwife as well as an OB? Both midwives and OB's here vary so much in their view of HG. If your's doesn't get or wont effectively help get another. I'd suggest ringing around the midwives. if you're up to it, say you are looking for one who has expereince with high risk, mention your previous history, don't say you have morning sickness, say it's HG and ask what they will do to help. There are some very good midwives around, thankfully both mine were great.

Unfortunately Zofran often has to be fought for. You do have to stand your ground, say what works for you and demand it. In the end I refused to leave the hospital until I got it.

Zofran is partially subsidised, 12x 8mg tablets per month. It has to be prescribed by a hospital Dr for the subsidy, though I can't remember if it only subsidised with a Community Service Card. The chemist will tell you.

Your midwife CAN prescribe Zofran, though she may not be aware of that. If their script follows one from a hospital Dr then the chemist will carry on the subsidy (if you qualify).

Where in NZ are you? Where you are will also determine the treatment you get as each DHB is different. Some have the Hospital at Home programme and they will give you Zofran from the hospital for at home.

Don't feel bad about posting here, HG is HG, and we're here to help and support you.

If you have any questions about anything or if you need, please don't hesitate to ask. I am more than happy to help.
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers