An australian project

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

An australian project

Postby ellebelle » Jul 23, 2011 12:41 am

Hey there. I was just wondering. Iv been thinking about this for a while now and im wondering if anyone has any advice or info for me........
I want to start an australian based organisation to helpwomen here with HG..... i dont know where to start. I want to be able to help with the differences as australia can be pretty strict on drugs and very naieve on HG.... I want to be able to visit women suffering...also to organise charity events etc.........picnics....research.....etc
any advice?! or anyone interested in helping me
Belle

Angel baby Jaidyn 20/09/2008 due to HG :( lost at 13 weeks VERY severe.

Angel baby summer lost at 7 weeks. Got severe at time of miscarriage, was mild/moderate until 6 and half weeks. 05/08/2009 rip angels.

"i will not be beaten!!"
ellebelle
Been There Done That

start a website

Postby MOH100 » Jul 25, 2011 11:01 am

Hi

I was in your position and I started my own website www.pregnancysicknesssos.co.uk. I bought a domain name - they're pretty cheap, about £7 for two year, and then linked it to a google site. Google sites are great, you get lots of functionality for free and they're fairly easy to learn to use - there's loads of help on the net if you get stuck. I didn't have any website experience beforehand, I had a teenage neighbour help me get started and now I run it on my own. I would suggest that as the first place to start. You can keep it private while you're setting it up, then make it public once it's fit to be seen.

Then I would try and find some medics who take HG seriously. You can do this by searching research databases such as google scholar. I've just been to google scholar and put in 'hyperemesis gravidarum australia' as search terms and come up with a few papers. The authors names and workplaces are given so you can contact them from there.

Another thing is a facebook page, there's one just started in the UK https://www.facebook.com/groups/120865887959037?ap=1.

Just in the past few months things have got rolling in the UK, mostly because of ex-sufferers getting on and doing stuff - we're fed up waiting for doctors to do anything. If you get yourself a web presence, probably other sufferers will show up and together you can move things on.

Good luck with it. If you need any help with the website, just ask.

Margaret
MOH100

Postby abba12 » Jul 26, 2011 2:00 am

You should try get people in contact with each other so that when someone is suffering HG, a couple of previous sufferers can go help out. I know if I knew any local HGers I would take over meals and visit for a chat once a week. I also found my HG calmed a little when I was out of the house, so meetups for city-dwellers perhaps. Networking, to me, is the most important thing.

As for setting it up I don't know how much help I can be, especially as I am looking at the prospect of becomming pregnant again soon. but let us know if we can do anything.
abba12

Postby ellebelle » Jul 27, 2011 9:49 pm

thanks for that :)
Belle

Angel baby Jaidyn 20/09/2008 due to HG :( lost at 13 weeks VERY severe.

Angel baby summer lost at 7 weeks. Got severe at time of miscarriage, was mild/moderate until 6 and half weeks. 05/08/2009 rip angels.

"i will not be beaten!!"
ellebelle
Been There Done That

Postby Kirstin » Sep 05, 2011 4:59 am

Hey, I'd be interested in that sort of thing. I live just south of Brisbane.... Let me know if I can help.

Although, I'm now just 4 weeks into my 7th pregnancy so it will be about christmas before I could be of any help if the meds don't work.

Kirstin
Kirstin

Postby Bronte's mum » Jan 26, 2012 3:55 am

I would definitely love to help. I've thought about doing the same thing! I'm south of Sydney, 7 months to go with #2 HG pregnancy.

Let us all know what you're up to & feel free to PM me.
Bronte's mum

Re: An australian project

Postby Shanza » Apr 04, 2012 5:27 am

I was in this exact same position not so long ago and wasn't sure on what to do I didn't know where to begin and with most of my gf's they just couldn't comprehend the severity or pain that comes along with it all thats one of the things I found the hardest I mean how many people go undiagonsed with hg in Aus cause our drs are more worried about the cost to them mind you zofran is cheaper then to admit and hydrate a patient aa couple of times a week not to mention the bed space it takes when in alot not all but alot of cases a simple tablet can prevent all this.
My HG diary
http://shanzas-bambino.blogspot.com/

Carlie-Jayne 26/5/00
Tiahna-Jade 7/3/07
Julian 30/7/08 - Home birthed baby
Alexis 8/12/10

Shanza
Welcomed Friend

Postby annmarie » Apr 04, 2012 9:16 am

Hi ladies,
Could one of you email me in regards to this. The HER Foundation is expanding its efforts around the world and perhaps we can help you out. Email me at annmarie@helpher.org

Thanks,
Ann Marie
Ann Marie King
Co-Founder
HER Foundation
"Together we are heard, alone we are silent"
annmarie
Forums Administrator

Postby mombrooke » Jun 09, 2012 9:34 am

An Australian based HG site would be such an incredible blessing. I am so confused constantly chasing all the American sites and groups and searching far and wide to try and meet a Melbourne sufferer in Australia. I'm still searching. Info is all over the place and I was really confused about why I didn't receive treatments I was reading about. Turns out Australia is very different to other countries. Having all the info, contacts and Australian drugs and policies in one place would take out all this overwhelming confusion I am going through. I don't even know where to keep looking!

Have you had any success so far??!
mombrooke

Postby Shanza » Jun 18, 2012 12:46 am

mombrooke wrote:An Australian based HG site would be such an incredible blessing. I am so confused constantly chasing all the American sites and groups and searching far and wide to try and meet a Melbourne sufferer in Australia. I'm still searching. Info is all over the place and I was really confused about why I didn't receive treatments I was reading about. Turns out Australia is very different to other countries. Having all the info, contacts and Australian drugs and policies in one place would take out all this overwhelming confusion I am going through. I don't even know where to keep looking!

Have you had any success so far??!

Hey mama I am a former moderate HG sufferer we believe my 1st was undiagnosed hg and my 4th was diagnosed after several hospital addmitions and in sever pain from it.
I found that pushing was they only thing and I went from one dr to the next till I found one that listened to me. I was taken off zofran at 14 weeks and had another 6-8 weeks of hell before it settled for me.
I'm in NE Vic where abouts in Melbourne are you?
My HG diary
http://shanzas-bambino.blogspot.com/

Carlie-Jayne 26/5/00
Tiahna-Jade 7/3/07
Julian 30/7/08 - Home birthed baby
Alexis 8/12/10

Shanza
Welcomed Friend

Postby Roni84 » Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am

Hi guys,
If any of you would care to join the HER Foundation Australia Page on FB please come on board
https://www.facebook.com/HyperemesisEducationResearchherFoundationAustralia
Thanks
Roni x
DD1 - HG until birth however manageable from weeks 20 to 37. Birth at 43w and instant relief
DD2 - HG until birth slightly manageable between weeks 24 and 34. Birth at 41w5d with residual sickness

"You never know how strong you are until the only choice you have it to be strong"
"My love for you is a journey, starting at forever, ending at never"
Roni84

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers