Zofran in canada

A place to discuss specific challenges and options in Canada.

Moderator: Moderators

Zofran in canada

Postby MichelleM » Sep 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Is there anyone here who has taken Zofran while pregnant in Canada??
I have seen it avaliable to buy on line, I have been concidering doing this if my Doc won't persrcibe it has anyone done this is it safe to buy from on-line pharmacies I would be worried that I wasn't getting the right thing!!!

Postby Atsie » Sep 16, 2008 8:10 pm

I have had in at home in two of my pregnancies and for the first I would get while admitted. It is not overly common in canada since we have diclectin as an option (IMO) but it is possible. I would just print out the info from this site , not forums but that actual web page, and bring it with you. My Dr had no idea it could be for long term use in pg. Once he was comfortable with it, he prescribed it right away. It took me advocating for myself to get it though.
Forum Moderator

Postby Atsie » Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Where abouts are you in Canada?
Forum Moderator

Postby Lianna » Sep 16, 2008 8:35 pm

I used it for 2 of my pregnancies. The last one I was taking the max dose the entire pregnancy. Although it was a "last resort" with my doctor she was more than willing to prescribe it for me and had no qualms about me taking it. I did have to go through the motherrisk list of drugs though in order to get "special" permission for MSP. Zofran isn't on their list but my doctor was able to submit a special permission or something and got me covered. LOVE my doctor. She saved me literally THOUSANDS of dollars!
Mackenna Oct. 02 normal nvp 6 wks - 16 wks
Kaidan Jan. 06 severe nvp 3 wks - birth
Kennedy Dec. 07 mod hg 4 wks - birth
Been There Done That

Postby MichelleM » Sep 17, 2008 1:50 pm

I am in saskatoon Sask.
I am not sure I could sway my Doc. She seems to think Diclectin is the answer.
I love her she is also my family Doc.
I would hate to leave her , but man having one good pregnancy out of three would be nice.

Postby bibliojo » Sep 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi Michelle, I agree that you need to print out the info from this site and also Motherisk has done a small study on Zofran too which is available on their site at motherisk.org In order for me to get Zofran with my second pregnancy I had to do the same thing. My doctor said he would further investigate it as he had not heard of it being used to treat HG either but he phoned me a week later and said he was comfortable giving it to me. Being in SK you probably have a bit more of a fight to get it but I do hope you can get it.
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

Forum Moderator

Postby Maria'sMommy » Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm

I know I'm late to this post, but I wanted to add that I had no problem at all getting ondansetron (aka zofran). In fact, my Ob had to convince me to add it to my other meds since I was under the impression that it wouldn't help much with nausea (I didn't actually vomit very often). It did really help my nausea.

Call Motherisk and ask for a copy of their HG protocol. Ondansetron is listed on there and may help convince your Dr to give it to you.
DD 2006 - NVP
DD 2008 - mild/mod HG
Been There Done That

Postby EliseVT » Nov 18, 2008 12:27 am

I'm on Zofran too. My family doc wouldn't give it to me, but my OB did after she heard everything I was on/ had tried. I take it with a combination of stuff (including diclectin) My OB treated it as a sort of last result and wanted me to wean from it... Until I got sick again when I weaned, and she just ended up writing me a script for the rest of my pregnancy.

here's what I'm on now... Just to give you an idea of the combonations that they CAN give you...

Ondansetron (Zofran) - 4mg 4x daily
Metoclopramide (Maxeran, Reglan) - 10mg 3x daily
Doxylamine/Pyridoxi (Diclectin, Unisom/B6) - 3 tabs, 4x a day (12/day)
Ranitidine (Zantac) - 150mg 2x/day
PregVit folic 5 (Vitamins) - 1 in the am, 1 in the pm

What I've tried...

Promethazine (Histantil, Phenergan) - made me tired, that's it
Meclizine (Bonamine) - the raspberry flavoured chewables made me more sick...
Prochlorperazine (Stemetil) - Did nothing...
Tums - Not Strong enough

I'm allergic to...

Dimenhydrinate (Gravol, Dramamine)
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Both make me get hives/itchy and I hallucinate...

I also take some Acetaminophen (Tylenol) every once in a while as needed... HG makes you find muscles you didn't know you had... It's amazing how much vomiting hurts your body!
Angel Baby - November 6/07
TougHGuy Zach - December 11/08
Devoted to You

Postby MichelleM » Nov 18, 2008 10:25 am

So tell me how you are feeling. Now that you are on these meds???

Return to Canadian Mothers