UK Treatment

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

UK Treatment

Postby UK Mummy » May 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello we are not at the point of TTC with our 3rd baby, having had HG with my first and becoming far more severe with my second from week 4 - birth i was hoping that the UK might have better treatment or recognition for HG now?
With my last pregnancy I was admitted countless times for re-hydration therapy, I begged every doctor to let me try Zofran, but they all refused due to the unknown effects and costs.

Just wondering if there are better NHS protocols now 7 years on, I hope so as I am petrified.
UK Mummy

Re: UK Treatment

Postby DebbieS » May 31, 2013 1:55 am

One idea might be to find if other NHS hospitals have a good protocol on the web, that you can print off & take with you to advocate for better treatment. Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust (NHS) has a clinical guideline for in-patient hyperemesis gravidarum in pregnancy that does include zofran and steroids.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby UK Mummy » Jun 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks debbie, I've found the protocol and will ensure I take that everywhere with me when we finally fall pregnant.
Thank you x
UK Mummy

Postby angielizzy » Jun 22, 2013 1:34 am

Hi my oldest is 7 and my youngest is 3 and there were better treatments available for my second. Ordansitron was used more where it was virtualy unheard of in the uk when i had my first. My ob was still not keen on it(and it didn't work well for me) but i did get some and the other women in hospital with me was also taking it and no one seemed to get it when i had my first. . I was also given steroids which were never offered with my first but my first pregnancy wasn't as severe so i may be they would have been offered if i was worse i hadn't heard of anyone taking them tho .I have heard of the medical version of marijuana being used in the uk to treat HG resently when i was pregnant with my second it seemed to be a new treatment option which was not widely used anywhere
2X HG
Sophie Nov 2005
Joshua Jan 2010
angielizzy
Been There Done That

Postby happyforhelp » Apr 11, 2014 11:52 am

I was prescribed Zofran just a few days ago.
happyforhelp

Return to UK Mothers