Hyperemesis Gravidarum with twins

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Hyperemesis Gravidarum with twins

Postby veg26 » Oct 06, 2006 1:00 am

Hi,
I know I had Hyperemsis Gravidarum while being pregnant with my twin boys. My starting weight was 113 lbs. After a couple weeks of nonstop vomiting, I finally went to see the doctor. I had lost 8 lbs. and my bones were sticking out! She tested my urine, and told me if my electrolytes were any lower, she would've administered me. Give me a break! She put me on medication. It did help, but it was NO wonder drug. After my first trimester, I was better, but still had bad days.

I delivered my identical twins at 36 1/2 weeks. The boys were 1 pound 3 ounces difference in weight. I was told they're identical. They do look similar, but also look somewhat different.

Finally my question...................Do my boys look different because they developed differently in the womb? Was this due because my doctor never admitted me to the hospital for HG? I know I can't turn back time, but it's just something I want answered. Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Kellie
veg26

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Welcome, Kellie. Congratulations on your boys! We have a few mothers of twins here; Teddi has identical twin girls, and there are a few with fraternal twins, and we've got a couple ladies expecting fraternal twins now. I really know nothing about how twins develop, so I'll wait for one of these experts to speak. How was it determined that your twins are identical? I believe there can still be subtle differences even if the DNA is the same. Here's the "apple pie" theory: http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=142

As for HG and its effect on fetal development, it doesn't seem to be a factor. If drastic weight loss continues for 2 consequetive trimesters, then there can be problems with how babies develop, but since you were at least monitored somewhat and did get past the worst of it, I'd guess your twins' differences are due to natural occurrence.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Oct 08, 2006 5:02 pm

The weight difference in identical twins is common in women who don't have HG, so I wouldn't truly think the HG had anything to do with it. Especially given your HG peaked at the 1st tri, and it seems that you were able to gain weight from then on out? The 2nd half of pregnancy is when things like TTTS (twin to twin transfusion) generally become marked in manifestation.

Is it POSSIBLE that HG could have affected baby size? Yes.

You say your boys were identical..but did they share a placenta? Or were they also mono/mono twins (ie in the same amniotic sac)? Believe it or not, I think mo/mo twins are even more "at risk" for those weight disparages.

Womb orientation, and other factors can affect the way the babies look. My girls look very similar but there are differences. They are identical, di/mo twins, (they shared a placenta but had their own amniotic sacs). There was about a half a pound difference. Kaylie has a big round head, and spent most of the last 3 months in a breech/transverse position. Chloe who remained pretty consistently vertex, has a more narrow head.

I would think, for HG to affect the babies, there's a few things to first think about. If they both shared a placenta, and there was no TTTS or cord flow/sharing issues, i would think if both babies were probably be affected or "SGA/IUGR" babies. Moms more at risk would be those who had a true nutritional/vitamin deficiency. All in all, it's not very likely the HG itself made a difference.

I am in a parents of multiples club and quite a few of our ID twins do look substantially different. Those moms didn't have HG. Truly, even ID twins do look a little different, just from their consitution or their placental issues (for size/weight) or orientation, or just slight variations.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby Hopes » Nov 01, 2006 5:18 am

Hi Kellie

I had twin boys last year, and suffered HG through most of the pregnancy. I refused once to go into hospital mainly because I felt safe at home and less stressed. Although my sons are Non-identical they were very different in weight. 5.5lb & 6.3lb @ 38wks. They are very simular when they are rougly the same weight but as they are growing at different speed you don't really notice. I don't know medically of course but I wouldn't have thought that you or hg had anything to do with it. I go to a twin club and the differences between twins/triplets is amazing some identical's don't even look related!

Hope that you are having fun with them! mine are 13mths and running around all over the place......can't take my eyes off them for second and if I do it's because one is causing a distraction for the other! great fun..

Take care, speak soon
Louise

mum to Michael & Reece 16.09.05
Hopes

Return to New to the Forums