A Bit about Me

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Hey, Denise! We seem to be having a Minnesota explosion here lately; lots of HGers in the cities and just little ol' me in outstate. If you'd like a volunteer to get in touch, let me know. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Momtoone » Aug 21, 2006 7:08 pm

Hi my name is Jennifer. I am in Northern Ontario Canada. I have one (almost) two year girl. She is the love of my life a true sweetie and really really busy. When I was pregnant with her I was really sick but thought I was being wimpy....everyone has morning sickness. But I was vomitting 20+times a day. So finally I went to ER and thats the first I had heard of HG. I was on 12 Diclectin pills until about 4 months and then slowly weaned off by month 6. The only time I got sick after that was brushing my teeth. After reading some of the other ladies stories I feel like a whiner...they really go through alot more than I had. BUT I am terrified of going through it again. I have enrolled in a study through Motherisk hoping it helps. I just found out last week that I am pregnant and due at the end of April. I am taking one day at a time and doing lots of fun stuff while I can!
Momtoone
Been There Done That

Postby Xphile_mo » Sep 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi, my name is Moira and I'm new to the whole chat forum thing completely - have actually put my "story" on elsewhere but only just found your buddy system which sounds ideal.
I'm 15 weeks pregnant and still vomiting but have stopped the meds the doc gave me (prochlorperazine - suppositories AND tablets) as they were making me feel worse and didn't stop me vomiting anyway. That's after the first doc I saw gave me a 10 minute lecture on "thalidomide" and that "I shouldn't be looking for meds to stop me vomiting - I should be grateful I'm vomiting and just getting on with it!" :( The doc I have now is very understanding and has signed me off work for 2 weeks, which I think is actually what's reduced the vomiting. I was SO tired all the time. Either that, or it's just lessening now cos I'm 15 weeks. I'm hopeful of that and that if I go back to work, it won't start up again. The docs and midwives keep telling me so many different things about when it's likely to stop (12 weeks, 14 weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks, or maybe not all) but it just feels like they say that until I reach the next landmark, then they increase it by a couple of weeks again.
I've slowly started putting weight on again over the last few days, but the hardest thing I find to cope with is the constant excessive saliva!!! It's disgusting and I can't even bear to go the shopping centre as I have to spit constantly. I'm finding I'm pretty much housebound as I can't bear to spit in front of people and I can't visit anyone as I'm so embarassed. I have to have a towel with me at all times because I drool everywhere and can't have a conversation without spitting. This alone is depressing me. Did you or anyone you've since chatted with have this?? Is there anything I can do about it?? Anything I've managed to find on the subject just says there are no current meds known that stop this. I am extremely grateful for any help or advice you can offer .... and can't believe you've been through this more than once!!!! My husband wants another one and I'm struggling with the current one!!!
Thanks again in advance
Moira - Scotland, UK
Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Welcome, Moira. I've got a couple ladies in Scotland, and I'll get you in touch!

I'm so sorry you were told you should be grateful for the vomiting. Not exactly helpful when you're dangerously dehydrated. :? At 15 weeks, you may well be coming out of the worst of it, but that's usually a slow process. Wait until your meds have things well under control to start back to work, and even then take things gradually. As for the spitting--pytalism--there really isn't any sure treatment. Some women find relief with antihistimines that dry up the mouth a bit, and some find that sucking hard candies or chewing gum helps keep the spit in check. But many just have to bear it through their pregnancies. You're certainly not the first! And your husband? Tell him you have to get this baby here before you worry about anything else. That's a subject to discuss months or years down the road. Now, just take it day by day. Hope you continue to improve!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Xphile_mo » Oct 01, 2006 4:35 am

Thankyou for replying so quickly. It's just helpful to know that someone else has been through this - especially as no-one I know has even heard of it, let alone suffered it. Although, reading everyone else's stories I know I'm not as bad as some. We timed baby badly (seemed like a good idea at the time) as we were on honeymoon in NY when it started and I vomited the entire time we were there, and missed most of the sights etc as I couldn't cope with the heat wave or standing for any length of time. Was eventually hospitalised once we got to the Bahahamas .... junior will SO be hearing about this when he or she pops out! Have tried sucking on sweets etc, and although they do help at the time, I haven't managed to find any that don't make me sick later on. But will keep trying. Thanks again
Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 01, 2006 12:35 pm

What a memorable honeymoon for you! :? If you dig around here, you'll find a few other HG/Honeymoon stories that mirror your own. Lots of opportunity to guilt the little one with years down the road... LOL We had to cancel our 5th anniversary trip back when I got pregnant with baby #2 way easier than expected. Good reason to cancel a trip, but we still haven't managed to go 6 years later!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Kenderyl » Oct 27, 2006 9:46 am

Ahhh. a forum just for introductions!

I am 30 years old and live in Vancouver, Washington. I have three kiddos from a previous (and horrible DV marriage) whom have been my pride and joy. My eldest son is 10. My middle daughter has profound autism and is 8 1/2. My youngest daughter is 5. Each pregnancy had been difficult and all were on a varying degree of bedrest (my middle child being a twin in the beginning but which we lost as we entered the 2nd trimester - bedrest and hospitalizations were mandatory from there on out.) I had some extreme bouts of M/S with my 1st two pregnancies that required hydration nearly the entire pregnancy but NOTHING like what I'm experiencing this time!!!

After leaving my first husband, I assumed that I'd not have any more children. I had had a few miscarriages scattered in between my children and then afterwards (because birth control is difficult on my body and I'm allergic to most other forms of BC) I had a few more unexpected pregnancies which ended up in miscarriage.

My S/O and I met a few years ago and became best friends...which later developed into my FIRST healthy relationship. He's been my rock through some really hard times and I am so grateful to have him. He had never been married before and really wanted a child of his own...even though he's been a SUPER FANTASTIC step-father to my 3. We were planning on getting married next Fall but we found out that we were pregnant and plans changed a bit. The new experience of HG has been difficult on all of the family and my fiance, already concerned because of the nightmare stories I told him of my past pregnancies/deliveries, is on an added state of alert.

I was diagnosed with HG after having violent vomiting and severe nausea for over a week and even the week prior, milder "morning sickness" symptoms. The ER docs first thought that I had food poisoning because of how suddenly it came on.. but it turned out that 2 days later and no improvement, I have HG. I begged not to be hospitalized and was relatively stable so they sent me home that night. 3 days later... severe dehydrations, electrolytes off kilter and high keytones later.. I am now sporting a PICC line (horrible vein access) and go to the infusion clinic 3 days a week minimum. I've been on several different medications and we're still working on finding the right combination but today, I feel better than I did 4 days ago. I'm praying that I don't have a long time of this so that I can start enjoying the pregnancy (as it may well be my last). To date, I've lost 12 lbs. and I'm 10 weeks and a few days along today.
Mother to Boo (19), Hopie (18), Kimberz (15), Gracie (9), RiverMonster (6), and our youngest to be...??
Consider me an experienced HG Survivor! 4/5 pregnancies w/ severe HG from conception to birth.
Facebook: Kenderyl
Kenderyl
HG Diva

New to Forum - but have been reading last few weeks

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 30, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Michelle, friends call me Flecky (last name is Fleck). I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and suffering from HG since week 6 - EDD 9/27/07.

During week 6 my husband took me to the ER because I was dehydrated I couldn't answer his questions. He saved my life! The ER doc put me on Reglan, which didn't work even after 3 days. My Ob then put me on Zofran - which I take 4mg every 4 hours even at night with an alarm. My vomitting is limited to about once a day now, but the nausea is difficult to deal with - especially after 5-6pm.

As of this morning I've lost a total of 37 lbs and try to eat small meals containing crackers (I know! :| ), pretzels, toast, grits, canned fruit, and the occaisonal Tastycake. For some reason I can actually keep down a butterscotch Krimpet. LOL

I just want to thank all of you for what you've done for me the last few weeks. I thought I was going crazy not knowing what was going on with me until I found this site. Thank you!!!

Flecky
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Welcome, Flecky. I love the list of foods you've tried living on--very funny in horrible HG way! :wink: You've done well to make it into the second trimester, and from this point one-third of us start to improve noticeably. Hope that's you! If nausea remains an issue, try adding something like Unisom or meclizine or another antihistimine along with your Reglan. Let us know if you have any questions!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby kimberfessler » Apr 03, 2007 3:23 pm

Hello Flecky!
Hang in there! I am "glad" to hear that I'm not the only one feeling this yucky right now :? I'm 11 weeks pregnant with my 4th (I know- call me insane) and am also taking Zofran 8mg every 8hrs. I have the same problem though- I feel like I take a complete nose dive after 3pm every day. So know that someone in NJ is thinking of ya.
going4four
kimberfessler

Postby PamelaRose » Apr 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Welcome to our little corner of the HG world! Congratulations on your pregnancy. :D
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby MommaAnnah » Apr 24, 2007 11:37 am

I'm Arrianah, 21, and dealing with HG for the first time on my 3rd pregnancy. With my 21 month old twins I did have some troubles with m/s that lasted until the day I delivered, but it wasn't as bad as what I am currently going though. My second pregnancy I had m/s for a few weeks, but ended up m/c at 13 weeks. Now, 8 weeks into pregnancy #3 I have been suffering from HG for about 2 weeks now, and was hospitalized for dehydration this past weekend where I was put on B6 and Unisom.
MommaAnnah

Postby PamelaRose » Apr 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Welcome, and congratulations on your pregnancy! We look forward to following your progress. Be sure to check into the 1st Tri forum and share your story. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Hello

Postby aimzblingz » Nov 17, 2007 9:00 am

Good Morning,

I was SHOCKED to learn my nightmare had a scientific name! I was just watching the Today Show and they were talking about exactly what I went through in my pregnancies. I have 5 children and was ill in each of my pregnancies. Out of the 4 obs and 1 medical student that delivered my children, hyperemesis was never mentioned.

With my 1st daughter, I was ill everyday for 9 months. My pre-pregnancy weight was 170. The day she was born, I weighed 129. My ob acted like it was no big deal. He said I could afford to loose some weight. With each pregnancy, the condition was a little better.

I don't plan to have any more children, but I would love to offer support to anyone that needs it and help educate the public and medical community!

Amy
Amy LaMasters
aimzblingz

Previous

Return to New to the Forums