A Bit about Me

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Postby LexxyO » Apr 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi, my name is Lesli. I am new to the forums, but unfortunately not new to HG. I have five children, 3 of which were HG pregnancies. I just found out I am pregnant again (rather unexpected), and am waiting in dread for the queasiness to become full blown illness. I have also been treated by good and bad doctors, but have learned to stand up for myself. It helps to print off the protocols and have the links to the research to give to your doctor. I also happen to be an RN who works at a very busy womens hospital, so I have a different peer group than most HG'ers. Some of the staff and docs are very support, and some are still stuck in the dark ages and believe it's all psychological. I am doing my best to educate! I have referred several health professionals and patients to this site since I found it with my last pregnancy (daughter Camryn, almost 2). However, I myself was a chicken, and didn't join until now. I decided I definitely needed support this time around. I am excited about the pregnancy, but I'm not ashamed to admit I'm scared spitless of the next 20 weeks!
4 boys-16, 10, 5, 4 and 1 Girl, almost 2. Due in December with #6
LexxyO

Postby PamelaRose » Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Welcome, Sara and Lesli. I'm glad you've both joined in. Best wishes to both of you; we'll be eagerly following your pregnancies and awaiting the birth of healthy, happy little ones. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby kat1286 » Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi, I'm Kathleen, this is my first pregnancy. We're expecting a boy, and are thrilled about that. I'm 23 weeks, and still going through HG. For a couple of weeks, I thought it had let up, and stopped taking my Zofran. However, one awful Thursday about three weeks ago was enough to dehydrate me to the point of hospitalization, and I only just got out again this weekend. Ugh. I guess I'm not past it like I thought I was. They're saying my little boy is measuring small - particularly his tummy- which, according to the ultrasound radiologist, is a sign of severe malnutrition in the mother early in pregnancy. I'm wondering, has anyone else out there received a diagnosis of limited or restricted fetal growth, or had a baby with a small abdomen? Nothing I find online is positive or helpful, and I think speaking to another mother who has happily made it through such a case would be much more encouraging than some cold statistic on a medical website. Thank you for being here for support!
kat1286

i feel your pain

Postby christinejarvis » Nov 28, 2008 11:23 pm

:sickfast:

I'm sitting here at my computer trying to fight the sick feelings I feel all daylong....i try to be as normal as possible for my 3 yr old daughter but the feelings in my stomach go strait to me head and just make me want to cry..its a constant battle of eating and puking not by choice at all but by an unwilling feeling that takes control over your body..i just want to cry and cry but I need to be strong ..this is my second fight with hg a battle that i hoped to never hace again it almost killed me the first time and I just pray toi god for my family that I will make it threw again,,i feel helpless,useless and sick like my bosy is fighting a battle with itself. i take phenegrin 3 times a day and zophran twice as well as unisom..i can not even bend over to clean my house not to mention the smell ove everything from laundry soap to cleaning supplies make s me sick my house is a mess and i feel like a burden to everyone around me..y oh y me?? i hate the pity party thing its soo not me but i cant help but wonder why is such a joyouse occasion filled with such misery i just want to curl up in a ball and sleep for the next 9 months to avoid the misery ..my daughter is 3 yrs old now ..we just finished paying off the hospital 6 weeks ago and i had a heart surgery after being weakened due to magor commplications from pregnancy..we try to be very careful but obviosly somethong happened..ahhhhh here we go again.please pray for me and my family!
christinejarvis

hello all

Postby mommagain » Dec 14, 2008 2:38 pm

HI to you all. My name is Jackie. just found this forum today and i am shocked, excited, ...hormonal that there is a place like this that exists!! I am 14 weeks prego with our 4th kiddo and having extreme HG compared to my last 3 pregnancies. pretty much like every one else, i am miserable, unhappy, tired, and angry. I have a wonderful hubby that does not understand and thinks that it is all in my head and i should buck up. I am just relieved to have found a place that understand and knows what its like to feel this way.
mommagain

Hi everyone!

Postby AmandaN » Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Let me just start by saying I think this site is great. I stumbled upon it when I was pregnant with my second child, but at the time I didn't join...can't remember now exactly why I didn't...lol....anyway at least I have now. My name is Amanda as if you couldn't tell by the username=). I am 25 years old and the mother of two handsome boys. My oldest Leo is 4 and my youngest Ryan is 2....and yes I had HG with both. With my first before I got pregnant I thought that I would probably have a hard time(at the time I knew nothing about HG) because I could never take birth control because I would get extremely sick they told me that my body couldn't tolerate the hormone levels and then my mom had extreme morning sickness(probably would have been classified as HG now) when she was pregnant with my brother then with me. Even knowning though that I might have a hard time never prepared me for HG or what I went through. With my first Leo HG kept me in it's grips from the time I turned 7weeks up till about 7 months then with a relaspse every once in awhile there after up until I gave birth. With Leo I was hospitalized at 7wks then had the home ivs and zofran from that point on. After being a pin cushion for what seemed like an eternity they finally had me get a pic line because they were having such a hard time finding my veins. At about 7 months my weight was still dropping and my OBGYN said she would give me one more week before she put me on nutrition bags. Well I went back the next week and I had gained a pound. I know one whole pound...whoopie doo right? But no seriously is was the best one pound gain I ever had bc she let me go another week then from then on I started gaining instead of losing and my HG tapered off some only to rear it's ugly head upon occasion. Now you think that I would have not tried again for my second but my handsome son was proof enough that what I went through was well worth it to me in the end. So I got pregnant with my second little boy and HG struck again....this time I loss less about 14lbs but the HG seemed worse to me and it defintely lasted longer...it started at 7wks and lasted the whole pregnancy until my OBGYN(who is a godsend and was with my first as well)told me at 38wks when I started to really decline again enough was enough and she induced me giving birth to my second miracle and treasure Ryan. With Ryan I also was hospitalized and had the home ivs until I got a pic line(earlier this time) and took Zofran as well. I also was put on Reglan which sorry but for me was the most evil thing ever.....I dont think I would have had some of my issues I did with my second preg. if it wasn't for being given Reglan. When they put me on that I had extreme anxiety and depression not wanting to be left alone, not being able to sleep, and like ive read on the site here feeling like your crawling out of your skin. I knew I didn't experience what I was going through at the time with my first with what I was dealing with being pregnant with my second. So I started to think what was different then researched the meds and saw that Reglan could cause depression and the things I was experiencing so my doctor and I talked and she admitted me back into the hospital and wheened me of it and flushed it from my system within a week I was back to feeling normal well as normal as an HGer can feel. So it was a hard HG road both times but my final destination holding my boys for the first time was worth the trip both times. I went through a lot of other stuff that i'm sure everyone else here has had to deal with at one time or another from the it's all in her head, to funny how she finds out she preg. again and is immediately sick(happened with my 2nd) from family no less and then my boys had some health issues after they were finally here but they both are here and are healthy as ever and all boy=)....lol...you think they would be perfect angels for what we have to go through=) but hey doesn't matter I love my lil' heathen boys more then life....and they aren't all that bad=).....Well that's me at least my HG me....I can't wait to get to know everyone here and help others where I can....I'm here for whoever and whenever because I expect you girls to be here for me when I go for my 3rd .....lol....did I mention I am right now trying again? So here's hoping to get preg.....avoid or have less severe HG....and to have a healthy baby.....and hopefully if it's not to much to ask the big guy a girl in the cards....Lots of love though to everyone here and much respect as well.

Love,
Amanda
AmandaN
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Welcome, Amanda. Glad you decided to join us! I wish you all the best as you plan another pregnancy. Make sure to check out the "Preparing for HG" forum--it's full of great ideas and information to help you get ahead of the game.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Thank you!

Postby AmandaN » Feb 13, 2009 5:25 am

Thanks Pamela....I did check that folder out it was great. I wrote down a lot of different ideas and meds to discuss with my OB this time around if and when it happens. Next time I go to her i'll make sure I mention this site to bc I know that they have had other patients besides myself that have had HG as well and this site is such a great wealth of info. and support for everyone.
AmandaN
Been There Done That

newbie!

Postby synergy2120 » Feb 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi everyone,

im from the UK and even though it has been nearly 6 years since my HG pregnancy, im still haunted by it every day. Everytime i get a tummy bug or general nausea, i start panicking - smells still cause me to gag and my body has never really recovered (espcially my teeth!)

i had to do a pregnancy test today as i screwed up on my pill a couple of weeks ago - and for the past 3 days i have had painful boobs, tiredness and "normal" levels of nausea - but i started panicking thinking that even though this nausea is probably what normal pregnant women feel - its gonna get worse!!!

Thankfully the test was negative - apparently its just a reaction from not taking my pill for 4 days.....but im still not 100% sure.....

Even though i have only had 1 HG pregnancy, the emotions and physical feelings are still very raw - i always wanted more then one child and part of me still does - but im too scared to get pregnant.....xx
synergy2120

Postby keli680 » Feb 28, 2009 11:20 am

Morning Ladies:

I am Keli and I am 11 weeks pregnant. DD is 9/15.. This is my first pregnancy and I have been diagnosed with HG since week 7 with no ending in sight. I thank God for this website as I am feeling like I will lose my mind at any minute
keli680

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Welcome, Keli. I'm so glad you found us! You're not alone, and the ladies in the 1st Tri forum would love to have you join them and move through pregnancy together. Hang in there!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby spangles » Mar 19, 2009 5:42 am

Hi!

My name is Lorraine, I live in Cambridge, UK.

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my second child and my HG has only really started in the last week or so which is much later than with my first pregnancy.

I'm also finding as well as the normal eating and drinking problems I'm having a lot of problem with movement and motion which is making it even harder this time than last time.

I am so glad I found this site as during my last pregnancy I felt so alone and I also felt as if I was a hyperchondriac and making a 'mountain out of a molehill' as people were forever relaying to me stories of their morning sickness and how eating crackers or ginger biscuits will help, etc and that they felt wonderful after 12 to 15 weeks and it would be the same for me! They used to say the best thing to do is to just get on with life as it was 'normal'. They didn't understand that I was completely debilitated and unable to carry on my normal life at all, it wasn't a choice I was making, I wasn't being weak or lazy, I was just physically unable to 'ignore' it and get on with things!

At least now I know you all understand and that in itself will help me with my pregnancy this time so thank you to you all already, hopefully my being on here will similarly help others too.

xx
spangles

Postby angelica » May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello, my name is angel, in the past i terminated pregnancies although it was what i wanted, the mysterious sicknes made the decision even easier.
Recently i got married and decided to come off contraception, i got preg right away, i told my husband that i had previously been preg and this unbelivable illness came over me and i was afraid of it, but we both thought that this time with his support and a 'good' home enviroment i would probably feel better... However that wasnt so and i came face to face with HG, for a long time i had this question at the back of my head of 'what was that' in regards to what i felt, and now my whole world was crumbling around me wishing for another termination or miscarriage...at first i wasnt throwing up, and the hospital just sent me home with a pat on the back, telling me 'its what you go through for your kids' the nausea was beyond belief and i cant imagine how i stopped myself from stabing myself in my stomach (my mum only has me and picturing her being told i died that way stopped me many times).. husband tried to help but i still felt complitely alone, then i didnt know this site, no doc would listen to me... then i started to vomit, it was just a few times a day, but considering i dindnt eat or drink anything anymore it effected me, hubby decided to take me to another hospital and there a doc finally took the time to 'believe' and helped me, it was the first time i heard the word hyperemesis gravidarum and i wanted to cry from the relief of 'knowing' there was something going on with me, he put me on a drip and game me meds, told me to come back if i didnt get better...

i didnt get better right away, and i took the medication religiously, it was rough and i cried many time especially as i watched my weight drop, then slowly things started to pick up, am not 'normal' by any means but i can eat a meal a day now, drinking is still hard (i eat watermelon, its really refreshing) and i still havent gained any weight, but i think i will from now on, am 4 months now and things are looking up. finding this site has been great, i notice that i feel like am a 'fraud' and that other pregnancies are more difficult than mine (like i dont deserve help), i started feeling like this since all the docs turned me away, but i know i was ill, and i will Not have another baby, am too afraid i will kill myself.

my heart goes out to all women with HG, and i can cry thinking about all the women out there, who are alone, not knowing what is happening to them, with none who will listen...this ia a great place...

thank u xx
angelica

Postby PamelaRose » May 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Angel - I'm so glad that you found a doctor who's treating your illness. It is a good sign that you're noting improvement, and I do hope it continues for you. Let us know how we can help as your pregnancy progresses!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Amanda_Ray » Sep 28, 2009 6:32 pm

this is pg number 2 for me. my son is currently 1 and 1/2 he's my pride and joy. My husband and I were on Mirena and really after my first excursion didn't plan on another bundle.. but as in our perfect world.. things don't always work and I'm preggers... with #2.. I'm sick and tired and unable to keep food down. I struggle DAILY to just get by. Its a constant fight to get enough fluids and I just want to cry most of the time. Last time it was hard, but this time it seems harder. I want to take care of my baby boy, but I can't even take care of myself let alone my baby. I'm trying to take full time online classes. but am failing because I just can't get them done. My husband plays video games and works and lectures me about how he knows I'm sick but i have to do things still. I just can't keep doing this. I am pretty much emotionally done...
ImageImage
Amanda_Ray
Opinionated HGer

Postby Terabithia24 » Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am

Hi all. . .My name is Nikki and I am currently 6 wks pregnant with #2. My first pregnancy was an HG one that started wk one of conception. Everyone kept telling me that I must have some kind of flu that you couldn't be sick that early with a pregnancy. My partner and I had gone through IUI to get pregnant so I knew it was a possibility. I kept thinking that if I wasn't pregnant it was a really sick joke but if I was. . . .did I really want to already have morning sickness. Luckily for me, my mom had gotten sick with both my brother and I so my dad and mom were both very supportive from day one. I then proceeded to be sick about 10-20 times a day for the next 39 weeks (and I say 39 because my little one decided to come a week late and they wouldn't induce me earlier!). I lost over 60 pounds during the pregnancy and was in and out of the hospital finally settling with home health care with IV hydration and a Zofran pump. I have to say that looking back now, I laugh that I thought that was better - only getting sick 5-10 times a day instead of the 20!

During all of this drama, I had "friends" who decided that since I couldn't keep my house clean and was so "lazy" that I wasn't going to be a good mom and tried to call the Dept of Children and Family services on me (this was several months before I even HAD a child!). Needless to say, despite being sick, it was an even rougher and more stressful pregnancy for those issues. They just didn't get it. We actually moved while I was 8 mos pregnant from FL to NJ to be closer to family too.

Luckily my little monster was born in Feb 07 and is amazing. It is because of how awesome she is that I decided to try this a second time around. I have a better support system this time with my in-laws around and my father moved in with us because he didn't want to be away from his grandchildren but couldn't afford to live by himself up here.

I have begun to feel slightly nauseous (and I say slightly because I compare it with HG #1 - not with the average person's nausea) with #2 and it makes me nervous. . . As worth it as my daughter is, I was really hoping to avoid it this time because I am a stay at home mom who has to somehow have the energy to keep up with an almost 3 year old.

I am so glad to have found this website and these forums. I had no info other than what my doctor provided with pregnancy #1. Even though there are not a lot of treatments for HG it will be nice to have people who get it and don't say "Oh I had morning sickness for the first couple of months too!"
Terabithia24

My 5th time with HG

Postby tashapan » Dec 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi, my name is Natasha, and I am PG for the 5th time with HG. I currently have a 14, 7, and almost 2 yr old. I have had HG everytime. It usually hits me about 6 weeks in and doesn't stop. I am about 11 weeks PG now and rushing to get placed on Medicaid so that I can get to see a Dr and get placed on Zofran since that is what has helped me to survive each time. The only reason I have not been in hospital yet is because I had some Zofran left from last PG and started taking it when I first got sick. I am nervous though, because I am down to 3 pills, and I probably won't be on Medicaid for another week, which probably means that I will spend Christmas in hospital. My kids are very understanding, my boyfriend is unsure what to think about me being so sick, since his mom, and noone he knows gets sick like this, but he is trying to understand. It is hard having HG because noone really knows what it is like unless they have been through it. I try to inform family and friends about it, but sometimes I feels like they look at me funny, because they really just don't understand. I have never met anyone else that has had it... except my mom, who is my rock during this. Wish me luck that I can get my medication ASAP, because without it, life is miserable and unfunctional.
Thanks for letting me share :)
tashapan

New to site

Postby Gloriagreen » Jan 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi my name is Stacy and I am 13 1/2 weeks along with twins, my first pregnancy. My pregnancy since day one has been a horrible train wreck. My husband and I had trouble conceiving so after 3 tries of Clomid we did IVF and luckily, the first time it worked.

The first month of pregnancy was filled with Ovarian Hyperstimulation Stimulation Syndrome where my ovaries were swollen from the IVF meds and my body was gathering water from places it should not which caused me to gain 20 pounds of water weight and was extremely painful. I was hospitalized and put on an IV which thankfully helped. Eventually the water weight tapered and thats when, in the second month of pregnancy, the HG began.

I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found this site. I am on a nausea pump, have been hospitalized once so far for HG and now the doc has me on steroids. He says if I don't gain weight and the steroids don't help by this weekend I will be in the hospital again with a central line.
I am at my wits end and thankfully past my thoughts of terminating my pregnancy. I have gotten this far so I can do this. I just know my family is at their wits end, especially my husband, and I am trying to be positive.

I read several posts and my heart goes out to you all. I think the most painful part of this experience for me is to realize the joys of my pregnancy that I have missed out on. For the first 3 months I refused to think about my babies, read about babies, watch baby TV shows or discuss my babies with anyone. I felt no attachment to them; instead all I felt was emotional and physical pain.

Slowly I am becoming excited about our children but I still become frustrated and anxious. HG is completely debilitating and heart breaking. I am glad to be a part of this group and thank you so much for your support!
Gloriagreen

Postby JessicaW » Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi I'm Jessica

I'm 36 with a 3 year old son and husband in California. This is my 3rd pregnancy and i have experienced illness with all 3. The illness seems like it has gotten worse each time. The first time i was only pregnant for about 7 week. Last time i was very ill, but nobody ever breathed a word about HG to me. it was just very bad 'morning sickness.' I lost a little weight, i got a little dehydradetd - i was told this was normal. It left just around the beginning of my second trimester.

This time is something completely different. I am only about 6weeks pregnant and have been violently ill for the last 5 days. a saint of a friend brought me a bottle with 3 1/2 magic zofran pills in it. i took one friday and sat up for the first time. i used the other ones to try and get through the weekend, but ended up in urgent care last night. Turns out i'm very dehydrated and have lost 10 lbs in the last week.

I managed to not be hospitalized by begging for this prescription and promising to come back for a check up in 2 days. My dr gave it to me + suggested taking benadryl. I find the combo is working ok, but i have not really managed to get off the couch. I feel absolutely crazy.

I'll end this by saying, i am a professional who runs a staff of 30+ people and have multiple retail stores. After my last pregnancy, i was unsure if i would ever do this again - i didn'tsee how i could ever make it work, this is so disabling! Well an accidental pregnancy happened and we are going with it. Whether this sticks or not, i think i'll have my tubes tied after this experience.

I'm going to continue to try and work through this experience. if i can really get on top of the vomiting. so far so good.

-jessica.
JessicaW

New too

Postby nightgoddess2014 » Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Hello - My name is Alysha and I'm so happy that this site exists. I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant and I've been in the hospital twice. One just a IV and Zofran, then One two day stay. The first visit they treated me and when I went home they said I may have HG - but treated it like nothing. when I looked it up and saw how severe it could get and I started to panic and got sicker - so my husband said I should go back. By that time I had lost more than 20% of my body weight and I couldn't keep anything down...no medications helped at that time. I was getting depressed. Finally they decide to admit me. There I started to feel better but as soon as they released me I got worse. Those IV's are so helpfull but painful at the same time. :(
Now 1 week later I'm able to go back to work and keep foods down. I'm pushing through this.
Thanks to HER I am able to know more about this. :)
nightgoddess2014

PreviousNext

Return to New to the Forums