Waiting for relief

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Waiting for relief

Postby Vveda » Nov 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi I'm new here and just need a place where I can say what I'm experiencing without all the weird looks. I'm currently pregnant with my second child. I did not experience HG with my first pregnancy so I knew right away that the sickness this time was way worse. Everyone told me I was being overly dramatic and yes you were just as sick. Excuse me isn't this my body???? I really thought I was going crazy. My first pregnancy I was sick and often times it was throughout the day but I could still drink water and at times eat without getting sick and I owned a business that I worked 9am-7pm and sometimes later then that 5 days a week. This time nothing and I mean nothing would stay down and I've currently been off work for almost a month. It started with just feeling really nuseated and tired. Then the vomiting began and I was quickly vomiting 15 times or more a day. There were times where I couldn't even control my gag reflexes and vomited bile and peed myself...tmi I'm sorry. But the whole time I got lots of advice from family members that I need to keep pushing in the fluids and food. Drink tea, ginger, crackers, Sprite, 7up, ect..the list went on and on. A few said I'm being a baby and I think that's why I went 3 weeks, 3 long weeks where at times I thought I must be dying until my husband took me to the ER. I got fluids and different shots to help with the vomiting and prescriptions to take until my first appointment with the obgyn in a few days. I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum. Finally something that made me feel almost exonerated that I wasn't being a baby and I'm not imagining it or crazy. I had no idea that this exists. Fortunately no one I know has had to experience this but unfortunately they've never heard of it either so after I told my family and some clients that were worried by my absence at work what was wrong I was met with kind of a shrug off. Some said oh my body must be weak and that's why it's happening but you're making it worse by not being stronger. Wth does that mean?! Some rolled their eyes and informed me that yes they've had bad morning sickness too. And some started to laugh and proceeded to say oh my I thought you were sick but you're just pregnant. My family isn't much better. I'm currently on diclegis, zofran and phenogran. I'm worried because during my first I was the type that didn't take any meds, I stopped dying my hair and stopped getting nails done and was eating healthy. I was trying to stay as natural as I can because it has taken me a long time to conceive but that's neither her nor there. I am worried that the meds I'm taking may be harmful to my baby but it's almost positive that if I do not take the meds I will surely be in the hospital and I will surely not be able to keep and nutrients or water down. It doesn't help that people have questioned me as well some going so far as saying they would just be sick just to be sure that it's not harming the baby . I feel utterly alone. They don't understand what it's like to be constantly sick to the point they wet themselves. They don't understand that I was throwing up bile and blood. My throat would burn for days when that happened. I was so thirsty and couldn't even drink anything. I feel guilty because for a little over a month I haven't been the same mom to my 2 year old. Before I went to the ER I would just lay in bed all day or be in the bathroom. I stopped cooking and I still can't cook because the smell is so overwhelming. I can't even look at food on tv without feeling nuseated. My husband bless his heart has has to pretty much do everything. The cleaning, yard work, dogs, working my clients in with his schedule, baby duty and food. Even though he is so much help I sometimes even feel like he's over it and wants the normal me back. It's getting depressing and I'm wishing and praying that maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that gets a reprieve soon. I'm only 11 weeks along so I know I have a little time left but I am hoping that one day I'll wake up feeling normal again. Even writing this I feel like I'm whining and I guess in a way I am. I'm just saying what I feel and I'm so glad that I can finally relate to others, some that have experience so much worse then me. But I've read a lot of the stories and they've given me hope.
Vveda

Re: Waiting for relief

Postby Natasha » Nov 29, 2016 7:25 am

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering and feeling so alone. These forums used to be full of supportive women, waiting to reach out to those who needed support but nowadays it's like an abandoned ship. I'm 11 weeks pg with baby number 3 so I should be around here for the next few months.

It's horrible suffering from HG and even more so when no one arounds you understands. HG doesn't happen to weak women. The weeks of relentless nausea and vomiting just makes us feel weak but it's our strong fighting spirit which sees us through, and you will make it through. It's amazing the difference a supportive friendly word can make.

I have 2 babies where I have taken a cocktail of meds including zofran 6-40 weeks and they are both healthy. I am on zofran again this time. Don't let the ignorance of others get you down. They are only repeating what they have heard. The women on this site have first hand experience. Read some of the old posts for reassurance.

Your 2 year old won't remember all the things you couldn't do whilst you were pregnant but they will have a lifelong bond with their sibling so don't be too hard on yourself.

Unfortunately no one knows when HG will let up as it varies from person to person. You just have to take each day as it comes and as every day passes it's one step closer to the end. Feel free to "whine" anytime. Everything you are feeling is valid. The people on this site understand.
Natasha
Been There Done That

Postby Here4hope » Nov 29, 2016 2:43 pm

It is nice to know we aren't alone. While this is my second pregnancy, I had to change healthcare providers because my hg went under treated last time along with many other negligence issues. Finding a doctor who will aggressively treat hg is so hard! If they have not had personal experience, they just seem to want to do the bare minimum.
I am getting so frustrated. I've been bed ridden for about month now, and my 2 year old is also missing mommy just like yours. I dont know what to hope for at this point. Can I even hope for the right concoction that will allow me to get out of bed or doI need to move the darn christmas tree to my room??
Here4hope

Postby Vveda » Nov 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Natasha- thank you so much for the your uplifting and kind words. It is hard when no one around you understands what it is that you're going through but it's so nice to reach out and have others reach as support as well. I love this as opposed to Facebook I feel like there's privacy here. I will continue coming here and reading about others as well. The good thing is that at least this isn't permanent- there will be an end to this and that is what I'm looking forward to.
Here4Hope- I am so sorry that you're having a hard time finding a doctor willing to take you seriously. Unfortunately I'm hearing about that too often with others suffering from HG as well. If you are bed bound and continuing to feel bad I'd highly suggest you get to the ER. You will get the fluids your body needs and the staff there may be able to prescribe you something and also call your doctor to let him/her what is going on! It's your body and baby in there and they need to treat you with the most utmost care. I do so hope you can get the help you need! I'm on my medications and although I still feel nuseated at least I can keep some fluids and small amounts of food and it's so much more livable then what it was before. Do continue posting as I will be praying for you!!!!
Vveda

Return to New to the Forums