Colic Relief Suggestions

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Colic Relief Suggestions

Postby Kenderyl » Jun 10, 2007 1:20 pm

:!:Please Be Certain Your baby does NOT have Reflux. Symptoms of Reflux can mimic that of Colic. Reflux can be a SERIOUS condition that can lead to failure-to-thrive (and eventually death) if it goes untreated. Consult your pediatrician before giving your baby OTC remedies for Colic as they can worsen reflux.

I would like to collect as many colic remedies as I can and have them in one location so that new moms who are suffering like I am, will have a place that's easy to find. Do you have tried-&-true myths, homeopathic remedies, or have tried colic relief products - Please Post Them Here!

Here's my list so far. Please add to it if you have something to contribute. Natural remedies are preferred. I will update this regularly.

:arrow:Baby Slings - You can find which one suits you Here
:arrow:Using different holding/rocking/bouncing techniques
:arrow:Probiotic Drops (natural remedy)
:arrow:Gripe Water or try
Gripe Water home recipe:
8 ounces of water
1 teaspoon of sugar
tiny pinch of baking soda
Give baby a few sips as needed

:arrow:SwadleMe Wraps or Swaddling snugly with blankets
:arrow:Air Minimizing Bottles (for those who don't breastfeed)
:arrow:Pediatric Chiropractor
:arrow:Removing Dairy & Gluten from your diet if Breastfeeding or check in with a Nutritionist - See about Food Intolerances
:arrow:The swing on the HIGHEST setting
:arrow:Soothing music (Classical music that has a slow pace, Baby Einstein tunes, etc - for freebie stuff check out http://www.Pandora.com)
:arrow:White noise (like the dryer, dishwasher, vacuum, "The ocean sound at full blast")
:arrow:"Putting baby high up on your shoulder - with the baby looking over your shoulder, put her belly on your shoulder"
:arrow:A walk in the stroller around the neighborhood
:arrow:A ride in the car Try out different road pavements, a pkg lot at the mall vs the highway or a gravel road. Hwy speeds vs neighborhood street speeds also may make a difference.
:arrow:Some other ideas are listed Here

:!:For yourself, use an iPod/MP3 player with a good headset -OR- earplugs Studies have shown that babies with colic can sense the stress of their parents. This will worsen their ability to calm down. Don't forget to take time out for yourself and ASK FOR HELP if you need it!

Note: The Amby Bed has been removed from the list being as it was recalled and the business has closed its doors for good.
Last edited by Kenderyl on Aug 16, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Mother to Boo (19), Hopie (18), Kimberz (15), Gracie (9), RiverMonster (6), and our youngest to be...??
Consider me an experienced HG Survivor! 4/5 pregnancies w/ severe HG from conception to birth.
Facebook: Kenderyl
Kenderyl
HG Diva

Postby octobermomma » Jun 10, 2007 2:06 pm

a drive around the block...or several drives around the block :wink:

the colic hold....cradle the baby in your arms but instead of the baby being on his/her back, they are laying on their tummy

DH says turning the radio up until you can't hear them anymore :roll:
~Kelly
octobermomma
Master of HG

Postby britmom » Jun 10, 2007 2:15 pm

swaddling, shushing and swinging :lol:
ImageImage
britmom
Welcomed Friend

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jun 10, 2007 2:16 pm

:arrow: For white noise buy a sound machine, they're cheap and more practical than running your vacuum all day :wink:

:arrow: Sit on an exercise ball and hold the baby while you bounce.

:arrow: Bella HATED the carseat so driving wasn't an option but both did well if put in the stroller and taken for a walk.

:arrow: Baby Einstein, my kids loved it and we got 20 minutes of quiet. I wasn't going to let my babies watch tv but after months of colic we got desperate!

:arrow: Ear Plugs!
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby angie » Jun 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Most colic babies has a motion they prefer. The trick is finding what it is. It may be soft or hard, forward, side ways, up and down. Basically it's a lot of trial and error. They good news is that once you find their motion, you don't usually have to search for it again.

(Liam's motion is a circular motion - like setting the car seat on a exercise ball and rolling it around. So you sometimes have to think outside the box!)
Angie

ImageImage

ImageImage

Michaela (13), Liam (2), & Susan (17) - all HG babies
angie
Opinionated HGer

Postby Gracie » Jun 12, 2007 7:11 am

Holding them over your forearm on their tummy (legs straddling your elbow and propping their head in your hand) while you walk, rock, bounce, etc...

If you are ready to lose it and know that it is just colic, place them in their crib for 15 mins while you get some housework done... ie: run the vacuum, dishwasher, washer and dryer. First, you feel productive and get a lot accomplished, and second, you get a much needed sanity break while blowing off some steam so that you can go back and pick up the baby (who is usually sleeping by then, in that case, leave them there and catch a nap) and try again to soothe them.
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby *** » Jun 12, 2007 9:31 am

:arrow: Gripe Water home recipe.
8 ounces of water
1 teaspoon of sugar
tiny pinch of baking soda
Give baby a few sips as needed
Forum Moderator

Postby pumpkinhead » Jun 13, 2007 8:37 am

Just a note: If you suspect your baby has reflux or your baby has been diagnosed with reflux, do not give them gripe water containing sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Here's why:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004224.html

Basically, if you're only using it occasionally, it's not going to be a huge problem, but if you use it regularly, it's going to make the problem worse, especially in a baby who has been diagnosed with acid reflux.

Here is a link to a gripe water that does not contain sodium bicarb :)
http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_ne ... reflux.htm

This is a great resource for those of us with reflux babies:

www.MARCI-Kids.com
Jacob's Mama (08/26/02)
Kieran is here! 03/20/06
pumpkinhead
Been There Done That

Postby eliana1300 » Jul 06, 2007 9:50 am

My MIL swears by a box fan placed so close to the crib that it shakes the crib lightly. Apparently, my DH had bad colic for the first 4 months and when they tried this, they thought he was dead because he hadn't slept before that. Everyone she has recommended this idea to has tried it and they love it. GL to all with those babies!
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby erikap » Aug 17, 2007 10:09 pm

You already have swaddle me wraps on your list, but may I suggest the Miracle Blanket. It IS a miracle. : ) Also, did anyone mention putting a warm hot water bottle on the baby's belly? That was suggested by our doctor and it worked for my daughter.
HG survivor with two extreme HG pregnancies and one normal pregnancy. (Kaleb - 12/16/2000, Bailey - 1/31/2005, Peyton - 5/3/2007)
erikap

Postby Carriebeary77 » Sep 24, 2007 11:20 am

Chiropractor. Find one that specializes in treating babies.
~ Carrie HG Survivor x3
Max 4/2000
Rachel 10/2001
Thomas 11/2007
Baby due 12/2012
Miscarriages: 8/2005 and 3/2012
Carriebeary77
Devoted to You

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum