Why breastfeed?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Felt that strong

Postby kmwilson » Aug 02, 2004 9:05 am

Try not to focus on what breastfeeding prevents as opposed to MAY help prevent. Eating more healthy will help prevent many things in my life; however, I still have trouble with the junk food b/c I'm human. I'm living my life the best I can without comprimising myself too much.

No one will be a perfect mother, and circumstances are never perfect. I too wondered how can someone not ever try breastfeeding after feeding my first born so easily.

However, after my son was born, I understood and had a completely different look at it. We aren't having another, but if we were I'd breastfeed and bottle feed, unless breastfeeding was less comfortable than the second time around. Then it would be out - my mental health is very important to my family's well being. If mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy - tee hee

Breastfeeding can be magical - with the key word being can. It can also be painful and bloody - either your up for it or you aren't.

Don't let anybody judge you for it.
Kimberly
Frisco, TX
2 HG Pregnancies
Daughter 2000
Son 2002

HG began at 6-8 wks; Zofran from 12 wks until around 25-26 wks. Despite HG, I loved the miracle of birth.
kmwilson

Postby jjbeck » Aug 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Hi all. I know this can be such a sensitive topic for some. I stronly feel breast milk is far superior to formula....MOST of the time, however...I do not think formula will kill anyone....well as long as it is good formula I should say.
If you are able to do it great! If it interferes with a mothers mental state or bonding with her baby, I do not think she should force it, ever. SOme woman feel intense bonding while BFing, others feel the opposite. Some woman it comes easily, others go through an incredible amount of pain.
When woman feel pain from BFing...or stressed from BFing, hearing things like like formula can cause this or that, I think may put more stress on the mother and causes more problems. I consulted w/ three different breast feeding consultants and thy all scared me to death and I felt they were trying to guilt me onto BFing. Now I never stopped BFing, but for med reasons, I bottle feed too.
I think BF consultants would be more succsessful in offering input on the benefits of breast milk rather than the HARM of formula. I think if a mother knows it is ok if she cannot do it ( BF ) there is always formula, she might feel less stressed about it and she may have an easier tiem BFing. SO maybe instead of saying formula can increase risk of cancer or sids, maybe one can say breast milk decreases sids or cancer....or whatever.

Now for those struggling with BFing but who really want to continue, there are many fairly easy remadies for BF problems, though with some problems, there may be no treatment.

A great site a mom referred me to is kellymom.com
It has lots of good info and tips on BFing and baby care.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby JennyK » Aug 03, 2004 10:55 am

I know this will just stir up the pot and probably offend some people, but I agree with Laurie. There ARE studies indicating that formula babies have a higher rate of SIDS, etc. Formula companies don't advertise that fact.

I think women are undermined by not having the proper support to breastfeed. Circumstances when a poor latch cannot be corrected, milk never comes in, or the breastfeeding is just not possible for whatever reason are rare. (Some people here may be in one of those rare situations.) I also don't think women who are fighting post partum depression or other serious problems should nurse if it will make the situation worse.

What I don't like to hear is that women choose to use formula just for their own convenience. I think a parent's job is to do the best thing for the child, and that means breastfeeding when possible. Read Dr. Jack Newman's handout on guilt and breastfeeding: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/bf_and_guilt_01-00.html.

I struggled with low milk supply after HG and returning to work full-time before my daughter was a month old. (Thankfully no latch problems!) Breastfeeding is not always fun or convenient for me, but the special bond it has given me with my daughter and the health benefits for both of us make it worth it! She is 6 months and has never tasted formula, and I plan to continue to nurse her (and feed pumped milk while I'm at work) for a long time to come.

Jenny
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Aug 03, 2004 2:35 pm

Hi all,

I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my question. I have always been the type of person who is interested in others points of view. I don't judge them, and I hope that they won't judge me if they don't agree with mine. It was very interesting and enlightening to me to read everyones different reasons and opinions on breastfeeding. :D

I knew when I brought this topic up that it would be a hot topic. I was just having a hard time understanding why some of you were trying so hard to make it work. I do understand a lot more now. I still don't feel that it is for me. It is a choice my husband and I thought long and hard about with the first of our children and I thought long and hard about with our last one. I will be bottle feeding our next one as I did our last one. With her it turned out to be the best for her since she wound up on special formula. Who knows what will happen with this one. We will see what happens.

Thanks again for all your responses. :D :D
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby mammaclare » Aug 03, 2004 4:48 pm

I am copying my reply to another post in this folder. I have to say that I appreciate everyone's viewpoints and felt most were very unemotional about the information shared, but some of the replies made me feel angry and hurt.

In a group of women who have suffered and survived HG, some more than once, I think it is completely unnecessary to claim we have made choices on the basis of convenience. Also, we all have suffered the judgements of others who didn't buy into our HG and felt we were "fakers"--how can any one of us point a finger to each other and say "low supply is rare and can be fixed" with such assuredness? It is not too far off from the non-HG moms that look down on any of us for taking all kinds of drugs while PG, and we all know how that feels. I just think the tone of a few replies could have been less judgemental...or perhaps since I DID try (and in my mind, I tried very hard) and it didn't work, I am overly sensitive.

Anyway, without more comment, here was my experience I posted in another thread. All the data on "breast is best" (which I don't dispute, by the way--I really wanted to BF) couldn't help me...and for a long time, only made me feel less of a mom and more angry at yet another way my body betrayed me.

"I wanted to provide a side of one with a story that basically mimics yours exactly. I used the SNS for feeding, then pumped, drank Mother's Milk Tea (basically a fenugreek tea) and cried a lot. After 10 days the lactation consultant had me quit. She said my mental health was more important than trying to win a battle that appeared futile. Rory was under 6 lbs and I was a wreck. I wanted to BF so much and still am sad about it, but my breasts didn't change during PG or after delivery so the LC really felt I truly wouldn't ever get a supply. I was a "less than A" cup the whole time...

I hope that your experience is like some of the above successes, but if not I can tell you have a perfect and healthy little boy thanks to Similac!"
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » Aug 03, 2004 5:57 pm

Well, I have to say, I agree with finding it a turn off when I hear people say that they bottle feed because it is convenient for them. Truth. I have heard people say "Well, WIC pays for it, so why not?" Does that make me judgemental? Sure, but we are all judgemental, some of us are just willing to admit it. And, I certainly didn't think the comment above was pointed at anyone on this message board and deserved the reply it got.

That aside, I think the real problem that people have with formula companies is their business practices. For instance, selling formula in third world countries where mothers not only do not have the money for formula, and thus dilute it to make it stretch and starve their babies, but don't even have clean water to mix the formula with to begin with. Some forumla companies actually have sales people dressed as nurses handing out samples to women telling them that they should use it for their babies. Those are the types of things that most people are referring to when talking about how "bad" formula companies are. Breastfeeding v. bottle feeding is not a subject I really care too much about because honestly, I don't really care what anyone feeds their baby. That is up to them. BUT - IF a woman REALLY WANTS to breastfeed and asks for help, then I think it wonderful to support her if possible.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby jjbeck » Aug 03, 2004 6:20 pm

Whatever anyones opinions are of the formula companies, I think we ALL need to be a bit on the sensitive side when when expressing our input on what someone else chooses to do. We do not want to be offensive here. These boards are to help others....not to add to their stress of a difficult pg and post pg.
I think it is great to offer your input on BFing, but again, lets try to keep things positive for those seeking help and keep in mind there are some who are sensitive to the criticism of bottle feeding.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 03, 2004 6:36 pm

I breastfeed because I thought it was the best thing to do. I was hoping to give it a try for a couple weeks. It hurt like heck for the first 2 weeks, but I expected that. It ended up being the best choice I could make. The hormones made me and the baby sleepy - we got lots of rest! They also calmed me. It made nighttime feedings so easy. When I got stuck in the airport, I didn't worry about being able to feed my dd. When she turned out very allergic to milk and also allergic to soy, I was doubly grateful that I hadn't let my milk dry up.

I am still nursing her and she is 2 years and 3 months (almost) old. In fact, I'm nursing her through HG - although we've cut back substantially for my own health and the health of my next baby.

It has been a wonderful experience for me and my dd is so appreciative. I know some may be horrified at the idea of nursing a toddler. But it is cute when she runs up to me and says, "I love your nursies. Babymilk is yummy!" However, if you'd asked me 3 years ago whether or not I'd be nursing a toddler, I'd have thought you were out of your mind! Things change, I guess.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby Laurie » Aug 07, 2004 8:29 am

Kim, I wasn't trying to attack anyone or their decision to bf or ff. The original poster asked "Why do you breastfeed?" I answered the question. I'm sorry if I made you feel defensive with my response about my personal decision to bf. Yes, all of us on this board have been through hell and back with HG...did I say that we haven't? Did I say that someone who ff's is less of a mom? Did I say that an HGer who ff was horrible for her decision because of the hell she'd just been through for 9 mos? No, and I certainly didn't mean to imply it in anyway.

Now, do you want to know what makes me mad? Having to constantly explain to women who ff that I DON'T JUDGE THEM!!!!!!!!!! The first thing anyone does who hears that I bf my son until he was almost 3yrs does is explain why they didn't. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not in their shoes...it's not my life...it's not my child...and does my opinion really matter that much to them?? This is a decision my DH and I have made for our family. I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree. But I do resent having to constantly explain (and defend when attacked) my reasons for bf.

I'm not usually so blunt (I am expecting again so maybe that has something to do with my emotions) and I'm not trying to start an argument so this will be my last post on the subject.

And yes, there are studies to prove what I stated. They're cited as references on http://www.promom.org/101/

As to the specific issues that upset you:

Formula feeding may increase risk of sudden infant death syndrome (S.I.D.S.). There are a number of studies showing a link between lack of breastfeeding and S.I.D.S. It has been found that for each month of breastfeeding, the chance of S.I.D.S. is reduced by 50% compared to formula fed babies.
Fredrickson, DD et al., "Relationship between Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Breastfeeding Intensity and Duration." Am. Journal of Diseases in Children, 1993: 147:460
Ford RPK, et al ."Breastfeeding and the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome." International Journal of Diseases in Children, 1993, 22(5):885-890
Taylor BJ, Mitchell EA, et al. "Breastfeeding and the risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Int J. Epidemiol. 1993;22:885-890
Mitchell EA, Taylor BJ, Ford RPK, et al. "Four modifiable and other major risk factors for cot death: the New Zealand Study"J Paediatr Child Health. 1992;28:S3-S8
Scragg LK, Mitchell EA, Tonkin SL, et al. "Evaluation of the cot death prevention programme in South Auckland." NZ Med J. 1993;106:8-10

Formula feeding increases risk of baby developing type I (juvenile, insulin-dependent) diabetes
There are many studies linking development of juvenile diabetes to lack of breastfeeding. The results of a recent study in Finland suggest that at introduction of dairy products at an early age, and high milk consumption during childhood increase the level of cow's milk antibodies in the children's systems. This factor is independently associated with increased risk of insulin dependent diabetes.
Virtanen et al: "Diet, Cow's milk protein antibodies and the risk of IDDM in Finnish children." Childhood Diabetes in Finland Study Group. Diabetologia, Apr 1994, 37(4):381-7
Mayer, EJ, Hamman RF, Gay EC, et al. "Reduced risk of IDDM among breast-fed children". Diabetes, 1988;37:1625-1632
Virtanen SM, Rasanen L, Aro A, et al. "Infant feeding in Finnish children <7 yr of age with newly diagnosed IDDM" Diabetes Care, 1991;14:415-417
Gerstein HC. "Cow's milk exposure and type 1 diabetes mellitus". Diabetes Care. 1994;17:13-19
Borch-Johnson, K., et al., "Relation between breastfeeding and incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus". Lancet 2:1083-86 (1984)

Formula fed babies have a higher risk of developing certain childhood cancers
In a study done by researchers at the University of Minnesota it was found that babies who were breast fed for at least one month had a 21% less chance of getting leukemia than formula fed babies. The risk was 30% for children breast fed for 6 months.
"Breastfeeding May Lower Risk For Leukemia In Children", c. 1999, Mediconsult.com
Davis MK, Savitz DA, Graubard BI. "Infant feeding and childhood cancer." Lancet. 1988;2:365-368
Shu X-O, Clemens H, Zheng W, et al. "Infant breastfeeding and the risk of childhood lymphoma and leukemia". Int J Epidemiol. 1995;24:27-32
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby jjbeck » Aug 08, 2004 4:54 pm

While I completely understand and fully appreciate your passion for breast feeding, once again, please, please, please instead of saying FORMULA increases the risk of this and that, please try to be sensitive to the fact that many woman want badly to BF but can for a number 0f reasons and may feel guilty as all hell for having to give formula, please instead of stating all of the bad things about formula, maybe you can share your input on all of the GOOD things about breast feeding.
Thanks
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby caleighbelle47 » Aug 08, 2004 5:38 pm

I'm pregnant for the first time so I've never breastfed before, but I do plan on breastfeeding. I understand that some women can't breastfeed and I understand that. I just wanted to say that I've read a lot of information, but I've never heard it said that formula increases the risk of SIDS or other things, I've only read that breastfeeding decreases the risk of SIDS. Maybe to some people that is the same thing, but I personally see a difference. I personally think that formula doesn't harm a child in anyway, but perhaps it doesn't give any "extra" benefits. Maybe if we try to think about the way we word these things we can avoid upsetting some people. I hope I don't offend anyone, I was just sharing my opinion.

Angela
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby jjbeck » Aug 08, 2004 8:04 pm

Thanks Angela for sharing your opinion. I agree with what you are saying.
So much conflicting info out there. Makes it so difficult on some moms. Also, it is so easy for people to misinterperet info as well as some sites putting their own spin on things. I have gone and read many of the supposed studies on some of sites.... and while a study might conclude something like it APPEARS as though breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS, some might spin it as formula causes SIDS.
In re to SIDS, there are so so many things thought to cause it.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby jjbeck » Aug 08, 2004 9:59 pm

Laurie. Hi there. I am intersted in seeing those studies you spoke of. I went to the link you provided but did not see actual studies. DO you have any of the link by any chance?
Also, I am just curious, do you use dairy at all? or give dairy to any of your children?
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby Kschwintz » Aug 08, 2004 10:38 pm

Laurie,

I personally could care less if someone breastfeeds or bottlefeeds or whatever.

My concern is that some bf moms "scare" expecting moms by citing such information. I am sure that there are studies going both ways. Every baby has a chance of SIDS or cancer or whatever else. I cannot imagine what in the formula would cause that.

Also, I did feel guilty for a while. However, my history goes far beyond hg. I also had preeclampsia and hellp syndrome, crashed during delivery, nearly died 3 times, pumped my colostrum while in ICU, but yet I still hear women saying that I'm harming my child by formula feeding her (not just you, but many in real life).

I am not an advocate for formula feeding, but I do not think that a woman should be guilted into it. I had every notion of bf, but I did not make any milk and felt like the SNS was as unnatural as it gets.
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Postby Laurie » Aug 13, 2004 7:53 am

jjbeck wrote:Laurie. Hi there. I am intersted in seeing those studies you spoke of. I went to the link you provided but did not see actual studies. DO you have any of the link by any chance?
Also, I am just curious, do you use dairy at all? or give dairy to any of your children?

As to the studies, I'd look them up in google. The names of the studies and all reference material (i.e. dates, names, companies, etc) are listed on that site... www.promom.org/101/index.html

As to your dairy question...
Yes, my kids have dairy. My daughter has has whole milk here and there since she turned 1 yr. My son didn't like cow's milk at all so it took him more like 18 mos to really start drinking it. They've both always loved yogurt, a variety of cheeses, etc. since I started them on it at 1yr.
Laurie
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby Laurie » Aug 13, 2004 8:17 am

Kschwintz wrote:Laurie,

I personally could care less if someone breastfeeds or bottlefeeds or whatever.

My concern is that some bf moms "scare" expecting moms by citing such information. I am sure that there are studies going both ways. Every baby has a chance of SIDS or cancer or whatever else. I cannot imagine what in the formula would cause that.

Also, I did feel guilty for a while. However, my history goes far beyond hg. I also had preeclampsia and hellp syndrome, crashed during delivery, nearly died 3 times, pumped my colostrum while in ICU, but yet I still hear women saying that I'm harming my child by formula feeding her (not just you, but many in real life).

I am not an advocate for formula feeding, but I do not think that a woman should be guilted into it. I had every notion of bf, but I did not make any milk and felt like the SNS was as unnatural as it gets.

Kim, I wasn't trying to scare or guilt anyone into anything. I think, if a mom doesn't want to bf, by all means...don't! I know there are "nipple nazi's" out there and I certainly am one in my own family. But I don't have any kind of agenda, other than to provide info to women who really want it.

I'm really sorry you had such a hard time with pgcy and delivery and bf. I hope it goes better next time. I don't judge you for your choices or being forced to formula feed...I realize this DOES happen to people, probably more in this forum than others! I'm grateful that formula is available to women who are in this situation. However, there's no doubt that breast *is* best and I get offended that bf is talked about like a "good decision" rather than something I feel is much more important than that. I relate it to saying, "Carseats are a good choice", instead of saying they can save lives and need to be used. If we used that slogan with carseats "carseats are best...ask your doctor", I wonder how many parents would choose to not use them because they're expensive, bulky, a pain to get the kids in and out of, etc. (I already see so many blatent violations in my area of the country, it makes me sick) Now please don't think I'm trying to say that bf should be a law!!! LOL I personally believe the less involved the gov't is in my life, the better! (Wow, I'm really asking for it now, talking about bf AND politics!! LOLOLOL) I'm just talking about the way we as a soceity talk about bf vs ff.

I feel that if women *can* bf, they should. But, I'm not going to judge them...I won't judge if they can or not...that's up to them. And I'm not going to guilt them into it...we as moms have enough of that in every other aspect of parenting! ;)

I'm glad we worked this out amicably and can agree to disagree.
Laurie
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby leah44 » Aug 14, 2004 9:51 am

Hi All,

I am really tired of women going up against each other. Stay at home moms vs. working moms, breastfeeding moms vs. formula feeding moms, co-sleeping vs. crib sleeping, etc. I wish we could just accept that people make decisions and not judge or try to influence them. I can't imagine men doing the same thing... vasectomy vs. not, paternity leave vs. going back to work right away, etc. Can you imagine any of your dh talking with another father about what's wrong with his decision on where the child sleeps? Somehow, men don't find the time or have the concern to condemn each others choices. Why do we? Aren't our internal decisions tough enough? Why don't other women just support the choices we make? Many women in this world don' t have the choices we have -- I know that no one wants us to have fewer choices.

I know in my circles the moms were about evenly divided between bf & ff. We didn't judge & we didn't care. Those kids are over 2 and no one had SIDS or anything else as a result of feeding choices. In fact, I bf for a year & my kid got more ear infections than the others. I think each women should take into account the info that is out there, her own personal circumstances, and decide what is right. And the rest of us should just accept and not judge her.

Leah
(Derek born 4/22/02, another boy due 12/6/04)
leah44

Postby jjbeck » Aug 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Leah. Thanks for your post. I don't think woman are so much trying to go against one another as much as they just feel passionate about their beliefs. I for one would not want woman to feel they have to stop posting their opinions, even if I do not agree with them.
As far as men, in my experience, they are just as opinionated...they just do not seem to be quite as expressive as woman.
. I for one like to hear pros and cons of everything...especially first hand testimonials.
Anyway, I think as long as posts are relevant and woman are civil and we can express w/o attacking , I think it is a good thing people offering their insight.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby leah44 » Aug 19, 2004 10:15 am

Hi Jen,

I appreciate your post. Thanks.

I too agree that opinions are very important. Opinions are wonderful and frankly, our ability to express them separates us from a lot of other women in the world.

Unfortunately, I do believe that in the real world, we too often condemn each other choices. That's where I have strong feelings.

My post was not limited to the discussion on the board. I believe in life we judge other people's choices too much. I just hope that the next generation is less judgmental than we are.

Take care,

Leah
leah44

Postby jjbeck » Aug 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Yeah, I hear ya Leah. I think it is good to try and remedy the problem as well. It is just a matter of what is the most effective way of going about it IMO. I struggle with the issue daily with so many people and have tried so many different approaches. Some days I just feel like ripping my hair out. :?
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Previous

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum