HG cause eating disorder?

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

HG cause eating disorder?

Postby poppy » Nov 16, 2004 4:00 pm

Hi, Let me give you a little info about myself: i'm a three-time HG survivor. Sadly, I only had one live birth (second pregancny). But, he's the light of my life and the best thing that ever happened to me! My last pregancy was by far the worst case of HG of the three. I was hospitalized several times, lost a ton of weight and then miscarried in my second trimester.

My question is this: Do any of you have an issues with food as result of suviving HG?

Its been about a year since my miscarraige. Rigth afterwards, as soon as I was feeling better, i couldn't stop eating! Since then, every time i start to lose weight (I'm about 35 pounds over weight right now), i suddenly start eating uncontrollably again. I'm really starting to wonder if I have an eating disorder or something and am considering speaking to my doctor about it. I'm really interested in hearing what your experiences and opinions are about this.

thanks in advance.
poppy

Postby mammaclare » Nov 16, 2004 4:27 pm

I can completely relate. My HG baby is now almost 15 months old and I weighed this morning TEN POUNDS MORE than the day I went into labor. I am so disgusted with myself. I will admit that much of it is my own behavior--after I delivered I ate like a football player in training because I was so excited to not feel sick. Then, I said I would "stop the madness" at my 6 week point after the birth. Did I? Nope.

So, in several conversations (and blood tests for thyroid, etc to rule out anything medical) with my doctor we have decided a couple of things. First, my milk never came in so I didn't nurse and didn't burn those extra calories and pounds after birth. Second, your body in HG is in starvation mode and as a result, when you start eating again, your body thinks it needs to hang onto all the food in the form of fat in case you starve again. Third, I am still mad about not having a good PG and am eating my way through my anger and in defense of not being able to eat for 8 months...but with a 15 month old, it is not realistic that I "deserve" the Blizzard every night anymore!

I need to lose 50-55 pounds right now, and can't seem to get a handle on my emotions about it and my behaviour. And excercise when you are this overweight isn't really all that fun sounding.

Wish I had advice--right now I can only empathize. Welcome to the site!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby CathC » Nov 16, 2004 6:49 pm

I don't know if this will help or apply, but here's my story with weight...

I have an extremely small frame that I inherited from my dad. For years I was 123 lbs at 5'11". This is just normal for me - small frame, high metabolism. Around 30 yo I gained about 10 lbs and have maintained that weight for the last 7 years.

My first HG baby was at 24 yo. I went back to normal weight - no food issues. My second HG baby was at 28 yo. I went back to normal weight - no food issues. Gained the 10 lbs around 30 yo, as I mentioned. My third HG baby was at 36 yo and was definitely the most difficult HG pregnancy by far. I seriously worried that I would have major food issues after that pregnancy. I was scared that I just wouldn't be able to ever eat again. I know that sounds crazy, but I was crazy sick for the whole pregnancy. There were so many times that my husband would try to come up with the one thing I thought I could tolerate and then I would just sit and cry looking at it, knowing I had to nourish the baby but feeling like I couldn't possibly get it down. Even at the end, I couldn't eat most of the time and would often just have a nutrition drink. If I had not felt responsible for feeding the baby inside me, I would have stopped eating altogether and died of starvation - literally.

Fast forward to the day I delivered the baby - He was born at 11:37 AM and at about 1PM I was eating a sandwich and fruit and pudding and milk! It was wonderful - the best food I ever had in my whole life! It was amazing.

After him, I lost what little I gained in the pregnancy within one week. I was nursing, so then I dropped some extra weight, but then I started gaining! I have always lost while nursing and never gained. Now maybe this is because I am older, but I seriously think that my body was so deprived from the HG - that the baby had taken everything from me, that my body just started stockpiling, big time. I didn't gain a lot, but it was so weird to be so hungry all the time. Now I am pregnant again and sick with HG again, but it isn't as bad as last time. I am currently 37 yo.

Bottom line, I do think that physically there can be a long-term effect that can cause us to need to renourish AND I think there can be a mental/emotional effect about enjoying food again. While I worried that I would always hate food and never be able to eat, I think the opposite happened and I was relishing food in a way that I never had before.

I wonder where I will be after this pregnancy???

Blessings,
Cathy
CathC
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Dec 15, 2004 2:44 am

I am now 30lbs heavier then I was the day I deliverd my 3rd baby, and 50lbs heavier than I was the day I delivered my 1st hg baby. I know I have an issue with food. I freak out and almost gorge at times. Sometimes I literally feel like I am starving and cant get enough food. I think it is b/c I wasnt able to eat for so long, and, I do think my body is stockpiling every calorie b/c of hg!!!!!!
That is why they say starvation diets dont work....the body stores everything you put in your mouth once you start to eat again, and when you think about it, we were so sick, we basically starved ourselves, of course at the time, starvation was the last thing I wanted to think about. Wonder what we can do??????
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

my eating un-order

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Hi,

First, I want to say how sorry I am about the babies who are not in your arms. What heartache. And congratulations on the precious little guy who makes every day worth getting out of bed. (I know...I have one of those little guys too :wink: )

You're not alone in the weird relationship with food post hg. After such depravation and desperation...with every morsel needing careful consideration, it's unreal most of us don't have MORE problems with food, ya know?

Here's my story, minus weigh ins as I don't weigh myself much and really have no idea. (I've been between 150 and 170 for the last two years...up and down by 5 to 10 pounds each year....the low in 2002 and the high in winter 2004.) I obsessed about food for three to four years after my son's birth. I thought about each meal hours before-hand, planned drives to work and appointments to go by favorite food places, and simply thought about what I would eat next, even while eating something else. One of my first thoughts at any moment had to do with what I would eat next. Just obsessed about food completely.

Like I said, it was about 3-4 years later when I finally realized :shock: that I had a messed up relationship with eating. Then it dawned on me that I was spending a lot of my waking hours (seriously) thinking about food and perhaps that wasn't necessary. The obsessing stopped once I was aware of it. But again, it was years to even become aware.

Since miscarrying Hope, I have had little interest in food and when my son isn't home, I forget to eat. When he is home, I get into some old patterns of obsessing on food and meals. I'm down to my pre-pg weight from 1999, but that seems to be at risk with the holidays and my latest bout of angry depression eating. Yup, I struggle with food, and I can honestly say it has never been an issue in my life before hg.

You are so NOT alone.
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby meg » Jan 07, 2005 8:45 am

This is such an interesting (albeit frustrating) topic. I have always chalked up my yo-yoing weight to pregnancy in general, but I suppose that HG itself is a much more likely culprit! Until pg I weighed what I had in high school and wore the same size as well.

My first pg I had severe NVP/borderline HG. I gained less than 20 lbs during my pg, but I did gain. By my 1 week "check the c-section incision" appt. I had less than 5 lbs to lose. At my 6 wk appt I had lost the 5 lbs plus 5 more. However, by the time I became pg with my son about 2 years later I was 15 lbs overweight. I lost a lot and then gained a lot with that preg. Once my HG symptoms subsided a bit I had to eat constantly in order to keep the nausea at bay. From birth to 4 months I lost not a single pound. Whatever I lost from the actual birth I put back on by my first dr appt as I was back to my delivery day weight. During month 4 I began exercising again -- something I normally do. I walked/jogged on the treadmill and practiced yoga, alternating mornings at least 4 times a week. I didn't diet but I started writing down everything I ate which guilted me into making healthier choices. I felt so entitled to food. Someone mentioned Blizzards. I remember having a tantrum like a two-year-old screaming at my husband that I soooooo deserved to have as many ice cream treats as I wanted after the lousy pregnancy I had had. By nine months I had lost nearly 50 lbs. It came off so fast and so suddenly after just sitting there exercise or no for about 6 months. I should add that my son was a voracious breastfeeder, around the clock, for the first year of his life. He continued to nurse, more than normal but no longer around the clock, until 20 months. At his birth I wore size 14 jeans, when he weaned I was a 4! I normally waiver between a hopeful 6 and a comfortable 8. After he weaned I gained between 5 and 10 lbs but continued exercising and eating healthy and my weight was pretty constant until right before we conceived. I slacked on my exercise and let myself have a very indulgent summer food wise, feeling very entitled again as I knew what the preg we were hoping for would mean deprivation wise. I gained about 15 lbs over the summer. I am very nervous about post-partum weight and struggles with eating habits this time around. I am about 23 weeks and I have gained about 12 lbs over my pre-pg weight, plus regained the 12 lbs or so I lost at the beginning of this pg. So on average I've gained a lb a week. Eating to keep the nausea at bay again.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but isn't it funny that so many seem to have food issues. I'm not sure of the solution but I think that in my own situation time, exercise, breastfeeding and conquering sleep deprivation (that's a whole other story!) all contributed to my eventual weight loss.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby HanJ » Jan 07, 2005 6:00 pm

Well I have had 'food issues' since I was about 12. I battled bulimia and borderline anorexia for my teenage years until at 16 I got glandular fever/mono. At this point I gave up, and was often too tired to eat or care about myself at all. I spent 6 months in bed, and after that tried to gain a reasonable diet again. But my weight rose up again and due to not enough exercise and too much food, by the time we were ttc'ing, my weight was about 20kg/45lbs? over what it should be. Then I got HG.

The first 6 weeks of starvation/puking 24/7 made me drop 10kg, and since then I have only just put 6kg back on. Somewhere in the midst of the worst of HG, my eating hates have come back. I hate eating. It made me so sick for so long that I don't like to think about food at all. Which sucks now because I nearly have to eat constantly to keep my nausea at bay. I can never decided what I want to eat, and it has got to the point where I am eating less now than I was before I was pregnant. In fact that has started to worry me that bubs is not getting enough nutrition because I'm not eating enough.

So as for long term effects, I think I'm screwed from the start. I can't even imagine being at a point of wanting food, let alone wanting lots of it. Years of food issues on top of HG has totally messed my head up. I have a list of foods longer than my arm that used to make me puke, so I never want to touch them again. Add to that the foods that I know make me put on weight (fatty greasy yukky), and I just dunno anymore.

Sorry, I know I haven't fully survived HG yet (although I'd say I am on the up-road now), but that's where I am at, at 26 weeks.
Hannah J.
Joseph age 11: HG 5wks-birth
Ellie age 9: HG 5wks-36wks
HanJ
Been There Done That

Postby BlueEeyore » Jan 07, 2005 6:32 pm

I lost so much weight with my first HG pregnancy, I was 30 lbs UNDER pre-pregnancy weight 2 days after delivery.

But, in less than 6 weeks, I gained it all back and then some!!

I was so protein deficient during my pregnancy, that all I wanted to eat afterward was peanuts and milk.

I was also breastfeeding, which increases hunger, and unfortunately - the overabundance of peanut and milk protein in my system leeched into my milk and gave my dd a peanut and milk allergy. :( Fortunately, she actually outgrew the peanut allergy and may outgrow the milk with time.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Jan 07, 2005 7:31 pm

Hey Blue...

That is soooooooo crazy, all I craved after all 3 of my pgs was peanut butter sandwiches and milk!!!! I guess I was protien defficient as well. I wondered why I constantly craved those things. Alsp, breastfeeding makes me STARVE too!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby mom2lotsokids » Mar 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Wow! I'm surprised by the responses to this!

I had 6 HG pregnancies, 5 babies are now running around my home. I lost two, one was a twin pregnancy, the one survived the other did not. :-(

Anyways, After each pregnancy, I was such a mess. I was physically and emotionally just drained. And each one it was harder for me.

And I grew a strong dislike for food. I hate eating. I actually just got a lecture from my doctor last week, I go days without eatingt and when I do, it's more of a light snack for a normal person. I just cannot stand to eat. I hate food and what it did to me. He, my doc, thinks I still fear of throwing up. I don't konw. I konw I get all crazy when I hear of anyone having a stomach virus and run to my doc for meds for me. I will go to long lenghts to not throw up again in my life time. And if I do, I go into a severe anxiety attack. :-(

I wish I could like food again. It's been 11 years since my first pregnancy and it's been 2 1/2 years since I had my last baby. And nothign has changed.

Brenda
mom2lotsokids

Wow!

Postby rachy » Mar 16, 2005 8:37 am

This is amazing to read all these stories. I thought I was alone in this food obssession!
I looked at this forum particulaly today as I ate half a chocolate cake last night and my husband was teasing me about it and I took it badly. Got really grumpy cause he can't really understand how I feel about food now. I can relate to the person who said they plan their life around food!!!!
I vomitted for 9 months, even through the labour and afterwards I just couldn't stop eating!! It was so good to be hungry again and I justified it that I needed to get my strength back. Well, It's definately back but I"m still eating. My new excuse is that i'm about to ttc again and am enjoying food while i still can.
Great to hear your stories everyone.
Love Rach
rachy

Postby nomore » Mar 16, 2005 9:43 am

Hi,

I never posted on this topic before, but I know HG has caused me to have food issues. I can "diet" for only a few weeks when fear of not eating what I want sets in and I feel like I eat like crazy to make up for it. Sometimes I still feel like I get scared that the next time I eat will be the last time I get to eat and enjoy it. (SO screwed up, but not eating for so long when I was pregnant with Madison Im sure is what caused this.) I NEVER had issues like this before HG and pregnany. (Not that I didnt enjoy food, but I was able to have a decent level of self control).

I will add that 2 years after Madisons birth and losing nearly 20 pounds this past fall due to HG (loss), I am only 5 pounds above my prepregnancy weight. I started Weight Watchers in January and started excerising again. I have also been seeing my accunpunturist and Chinese Herbal DR. My metabolism is MUCH higher than it was after Madisons birth! I am not eating perfect by any means, but I am still losing weight (although slowly). My goal is to be at my prepregancy weight with Madison before we TTC in May/June, and with 5 pounds to go, I think I can make it!

HG has messed with my head about food and sometimes I worry how I will ever be able to correct my ridicoulous fears of never eating again each time I sit down!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby pippa » Mar 26, 2005 12:43 pm

First off, Blue, don't beat yourself up! I avoided dairy when I was pg and nursing my third, Bug, and that's his worst food allergy!!! You can't "make" them allergic. I promise. :)

Secondly, I posted a bit about this in the Anxiety/Depression forum. I'm a recovering bulimarexic. I've been about 50 pounds overweight since I got into "recovery" mainly the result of not knowing how to eat healthy after 10 years spent starving, binging, and purging, but also because of gall bladder surgery and a metabolism that's totally shot.

Managing my HG has become borderline obsessive. I'm so committed to NOT having to do any sort of artificial nutrition that I'm willing to do just about anything to avoid it. ANY time I'm eating and then immediately vomiting what I ate, I get freaked out, and I'm trying to consioucsly fight the weight loss as much as I can because I'm afraid if I start to really look at it, I'll be happy (I never got my pregnancy weight off from Bug before I got pg) and that's the LAST thing I want.

But gah! What a feeling... I have to worry about my eating even once I CAN eat normally again! :roll:

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02
Bug 8.10.03
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby nikki0072004 » Mar 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Oh no, how upsetting this is going to be, to write this!!!! This could be the most honest I have been in years!!!! Maybe good therapy????

OK, when I first got pregnant, I weighed a whopping 125 on a medium 70 inch frame. And I have always had huge boobs. Lost 15 lbs, and lost the baby.

By the time second one, about the same, but lost baby early, not sure what weight was.

Scary part approaching........ Prepregancy weight with third: 130lbs. Dropped to 115 lbs. Gained it back later in pregancy due to some rocking steriods for IUGR, plus more, briging me to (wait for it......) 210 lbs. Shocking. Thinnest post delivery was maybe 195lbs.

Started very unhealthy relationship with food, coudlnt stop eating, and I just gained and gained and gained. 25mos after delevry of Bayden, I wieghed 255lbs. That is absolutely HORRIFIC!!!! Since I lost with this pregnancy, I am currently at 235lbs 24 weeks with twins, but still hate my body for this weigth gain.

I dont know if it has ot do with the HG, or if I am using that as an excuse (tempting), but I do know that my food obsession went insane after delivery. I have made a pledge after this dlevery to lose at least 90lbs, and afetr that, my treat to myslef will be tummy tuck and a breast lift. But only afetr I lose it myslef like a good girl. Not looking forward to it, but I AM looking forward to feeling confident again, and the cute clothes I will wear. Thats what I keep thinking about!!!!

Good topic, its been good to read all the replies!!!!

Nikki

P.S- Pippa, forgive me if you have already answered this, but are the names on your signature your childrens real names??? Sorry for asking such a silly question!!! :D
nikki0072004
Welcomed Friend

Postby pippa » Mar 26, 2005 8:38 pm

LOL Nikkie. Gosh, no. :) They have long, unique names and I use their nicknames on boards to keep them anonymous and also not have to type them all out. :D
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby HLong » Oct 06, 2005 9:58 pm

I was sorry to hear that you suffered so much. I had two pregnancies resulting in two children and that was bad enough, I can't believe you kept going through it all, that's amazing. In regard to your food question, I never had a problem with my weight and could always eat what I wanted, but since HG I put on weight just looking at food. I have spent years loosing weight and putting it on again and I have always blamed the pregnancies and starving for changing my metabolism. I have found there is not much I can do, other than stay off all carbs. :?
HLong

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG