Digestion Problems....and gettting worse

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

Digestion Problems....and gettting worse

Postby KarenJ » Jun 21, 2010 12:40 pm

So I have come to accept that I am still having digestion problems, a lot of painfull gas at night, and nausea - kinda like my food isn't digesting properly. I did not have this after the other two HG pregnancies and now I am starting to wonder if I need to go to the doctor about it. Does anyone else have this and does it go away on it's own? I am now ultra sensitive to anything that has even the smallest amount of spicy or anything acidic. Sometimes if I eat a little more than usual it also happens.

I wake up at 4:00 am many nights because of it...not sure what is going on.

Karen J
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby FinallyBlessed » Jun 21, 2010 5:23 pm

O pretty much have the same problem, except that I'm currently pregnant. My doctor has me on reglan and nexium to help with it. They also have me on a lowfat, low residue diet. Basically I pretty much can stomach on fresh fruits & veggies (non-acidic) and baked or grilled chicken (no skin). I don't knw if that would help u or not. Hope u feel better soon!
-Davina

Nadiyah 9/29/10 (severe HG from 5wks- delivery)

FinallyBlessed
Been There Done That

Postby erinkay20 » Jun 21, 2010 5:30 pm

You might want to see a doctor.. just in case it is an ulcer. Good luck, I hope you figure it out.
erinkay20
Been There Done That

Postby jarezuny » Jun 21, 2010 8:11 pm

My stomach and digestion is just getting back to normal NOW. It's been over 9 months since the HG. The nausea lingered for a really long time (and I still feel it from time to time).

I've been meaning to go get it checked, but it seems to keep getting better a little bit at a time so I've put it off. I would check if I were you, though, just in case. There might be something they can do for you to help you feel better? It's not fair to feel symptoms like that after HG. Not at all...

I hope you are feeling better soon!
-Jessica

Mom to Ewan (9/27/02) and Laren (9/03/09)
jarezuny
HG Expert

Postby butterfly » Jun 22, 2010 11:12 am

Are you on anything like Prevacid or other acid production blockers? it's possible you might have something like that as it can cause nausea and some of what you described. Just an idea.

It took awhile for me after baby to be able to eat normal w/out feeling icky.
ImageImage
butterfly
Devoted to You

Postby KarenJ » Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I am not taking anything right now. Maybe I should start Zantac again & see if it helps, but is seems to be more of an issue in my intestines. Starts with nausea and moves into the intestines (painful gas). Took Reglan for about a week while I was pregnant, but stopped because with in the week I started to really feel aggrivated and I started to have uncontrolled movements in my legs at night.

I really need to make a diary of what I eat and try to figure out which food(s) are aggrivating me. I hate it mostly because I love food and I would like to be able to eat what I want...I am really going to miss spicy food if I cannot tolerate it. Damn HG.

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby sweetpea » Jun 22, 2010 7:34 pm

I would go see a gastroenterologist b/c he would be able to better say if anything is seriously wrong or not. Other than HG causing our digestive systems to shut down and then not work properly again!
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby KellyR » Jun 22, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm still dealing with it. I had it after pregnancy #1 and it didn't go away. I had #2 and it's still here. I'm now working with a Dr. who specializes in chronic nausea so we'll see. So far, an upper GI endoscopy was normal. Just such a bummer because I'm ready for this veil of feeling crummy to be lifted for good!!!
Kelly

DS - Hunter born 7/18/05 - HG entire pregnancy
DD - Daphne born 7/19/09 - HG entire pregnancy
KellyR
Been There Done That

Postby tottie 12 » Jun 27, 2010 12:01 am

Could you be lactose intolerant? I am SEVERELY lactose intolerant and those are the same symptoms I have if I so much as touch dairy. Painful gas, cramping and nausea are classic lactose intolerance symptoms.
My lactose intolerance developed after my first pregnancy and they say that some people stop producing lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose. You can become LI at any point in your life.
You might try an elimination diet for a week. If it is LI you will feel relief within a few days of dairy-free eating.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Postby KarenJ » Jun 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Hmmm. I have not thought of that. I will pay attention & see if it is happening w/Dairy. It does run in my family & & have one child who is lactose intolerant.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

I'm lacotse intolerant too

Postby slterwil » Jul 03, 2010 11:30 am

Have you tried keeping track of dairy containing products? Ever since I had my daughter my lactose intolerance got way worse than it was before I had her. I agree with the poster who said that sounds exactly like what lactose intolerance feels like. It's misery. There are little pills you can buy to take before you have a dairy product that may help you. I use them sometimes. Watch labels too because there are a lot of foods with lactose in them in one way or another. I always figure it out the hard way. Sometimes with lactose intolerance you can still do yogurts because the sugars are already partially broken down. I can't even look at milk and cheese and ice cream most days. Isn't that just wrong? HG takes away my ability to eat icecream...so unfair. I don't know how this new baby is going to get calcium, probably from my bones. Hang in there. Hopefully it's as simple as lactose intolerance and not something more.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby KarenJ » Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am

Hey Sandy :-) glad to see you posting...hope you realized that was me! LOL.

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby janbabe » Jul 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Might be worth getting it checked out. Dont want to alarm you but it might be your gall bladder.
~Janene~
Mum to an angel baby, May 2007 @15 weeks
And Tex born 28th August 2008 9lb 6oz
And.... its another boy!
Jethro born 9th June 2011 9lb 7oz
janbabe
Forum Moderator

Postby KarenJ » Jul 07, 2010 4:07 pm

That would be ok with me - take the darn thing out! LOL.

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby Evaandbump » Jul 12, 2010 5:29 am

Hey Karen - could it be IBS? (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I am starting to think that I could have it, I get similar symptoms to you, but I also get spasms in my gut and inteestines.

I suppose it would make sense after everything our insides have been through! Google the condition, your symptoms sound like it could be IBS?

kerry xxx
Evaandbump
Been There Done That

Postby KarenJ » Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am

I guess I really need to go & get checked out..it kinda slowed down for a few weeks, but started back up - had horrible cramping this morning.
I didn't eat anything spicy yesterday and I have not been able to pinpoint anything exact causing the symptoms.

Thanks for all the advice ladies :-).

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby Danielle31 » Jul 12, 2010 10:45 pm

I've been getting nausea and dizziness here and there. Mostly here though! I'm also having some new cramping, as if I am about to get my period, but don't think that's the issue...
ImageImageImage

Danielle31
Been There Done That

Postby nekorachan » Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am

you might also try yogurt with active cultures. the good bacteria in our gut can be damaged very easily. active culture yogurt helps promote the growth of good bacteria.

~Shelley
~Shelley
Davis Alexander - 11/10/06
Angel Baby - 2/08
Jared Constantine - 12/29/10

"You don't "get" HG, unless you get HG."
nekorachan
Opinionated HGer

Postby keow0508 » Jul 19, 2010 11:41 am

Hi there! I am suffering from similar symptoms (Although I also had pain in my upper right quadrant of my abdomen which has decreased a lot). I am nauseated every time I eat, when I don't eat, etc. I also have this awful pulsing sensation in my stomach and have trouble laying on my belly anymore. My DS is almost 2 and this has been going on for several months. I have had my gallbladder ultrasound, hita scan on gallbladder (tests function), upper GI scope and biopsies, several blood tests and everything comes back normal. They are saying maybe IBS, but I am going to push them to test for Gastroparesis (not normal emptying of stomach). They have tried a few medicines but they make me tired and dizzy. Ugh. Please keep me posted on what you all find out!!!
Katie

keow0508
Been There Done That

Postby KellyR » Aug 06, 2010 9:56 pm

I am still being seen at a digestive clinic for my ongoing nausea. I seem to be having some luck with Remeron - the nausea is no longer totally constant. It appears to calm the stomach nerves that my Dr. thinks are still hyper-sensitive following 9 months of HG. It is primarily an antidepressant but is also given to people with chronic nausea and IBS problems. Hope this helps!
Kelly

DS - Hunter born 7/18/05 - HG entire pregnancy
DD - Daphne born 7/19/09 - HG entire pregnancy
KellyR
Been There Done That

Next

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG