Zofran - Positive Long Term Impact?

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

Zofran - Positive Long Term Impact?

Postby KellyR » Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

I am the mom to two HG babies. My son was born in 2005 and my daughter was born in 2009. I took Zofran 24mg/day throughout both pregnancies.

I know we are always aware of the negative impact that certain meds can have on developing fetuses, but realized that it is possible that the reverse can also be true. My two children are both extremely social, happy, and talkative kids. It doesn't seem to me that this could be purely genetics, because my husband and I are more mellow and less social. But both of them are such complete extroverts.

Zofran does interact with Serotonin, and I just wonder if it left a positive impact in their developing neurological chemistry.

Just putting it out there for moms currently concerned about medicating. I was so worried. I'm here to tell you that at age 8 and 4, Boy and Girl, my kids are exceptionally healthy and happy!
Kelly

DS - Hunter born 7/18/05 - HG entire pregnancy
DD - Daphne born 7/19/09 - HG entire pregnancy
KellyR
Been There Done That

Re: Zofran - Positive Long Term Impact?

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Mine is a total extrovert born to 2 introvert parents. He had better social skills at age 4 than I will ever have! It isn't just that he likes company and is talkative, he just knows how to charm people. He told me in kindergarten that he liked to give people compliments because people like it when he does.

I always joke it is all that Zofran!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby KellyR » Oct 16, 2013 1:39 am

Oh my gosh that sounds JUST like my kids - Emotional IQ very high, right from the start. MUCH higher than mine or my husband's.

Hmmmm....if Zofran proves to help create friendly, extroverted children, people may feign illness to get their hands on it!
Kelly

KellyR
Been There Done That

Postby ShannonD » Oct 17, 2013 9:50 am

Well this isn't a negative... but my son is kind of shy...lol! He is the type of kid that will sit on the sidelines for the first little bit & then join in with the other kids. Once he gets in there he gets along with all the kids & is just an amazing little boy! I will also say that he is very intuned with others feelings. He just knows when someone is sad & will try to make them laugh or go & talk to them. With me having HG with this pregnancy he will come over & rub my back or just give me a hug because he loves me :) I took Zofran from around 19 weeks until delivery with him & I can't say anything negative that the zofran might have caused :)
Owen - 2008/09/06 - HG 5 wks until delivery, untreated/diagnosed until 18wks, multiple IV's & Zofran, lost 55lbs
DS - Due Date 2014/03/12 - HG 5-22wks, multiple IV's, Zofran & Acupuncture, lost 35lbs. Medicated Fluffy 22-32wks. HG started back up at 32wks :(
ShannonD
Been There Done That

Postby Jsmallsc » Jan 26, 2016 3:07 pm

I am taking zofran but it currently not working. But if there is research that it could harm by baby than I don't want to continue. I mean it's not working anyway!!
Jsmallsc

Postby KellyR » Jan 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Well if you find when you go off of it that you can't eat and keep down less, my experience was that it was worth the risk to go ahead and take it. 2/2 kids are just fine from it. But if it makes no difference even when you go off, then clearly you might as well not take it!

I just made a big mistake in my first pregnancy trying to limit myself just taking 8mg/day because I was so scared. Well, went to the high risk Dr at 17 weeks and she said set your alarm bc you are going to take 8mg every 8 hours. That worked much better but by that time I was JUST SO ILL. Second pregnancy, I started it right away and still was ill but stayed out of the hospital.
Kelly

KellyR
Been There Done That

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG