Smoking

Some people say the worst things . . .

Moderator: HelenA

Smoking

Postby SkunkPaw » Nov 08, 2005 5:36 pm

I am so sick and tired of people who smoke. We all know that with HG any slight smell can send you into a vomit rage. If there is a no smoking sign, that means do not smoke! Even if you are outside it doesn't mean that the air is fair game! On the exits @ the ER there is a no smoking sign and it is good for like 50 feet or so. When we were leaving there was a woman that was checking in that had soaked herself in perfume so I had to hold my breath. As if that isn't bad enough when I walked outside I took a deep breath expecting fresh air, and all I got was smoke. Someone was right by the door smoking. I had had it. I said to my mother - who is also a smoker - Ya know there is a reason why you can't smoke in front of the ER exits SO PEOPLE DON'T GET SICK. The person just laughed. OOOHHHH the nerve!

I saw a bumper sticker on a car that I thought was cute, and true. It said - Atleast I can still smoke in my car. I think they should make a law that you can smoke in your car if your windows are up and there are no kids present. I know that this may offend some but come on - we have a right to clean air, it isn't my fault that you choose to smoke and mess up your lungs. That doesn't mean that you have the right to mess up mine or my childs. It makes me want to vomit on each and every person that smokes - yes even my mom.
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby Atsie » Nov 08, 2005 9:01 pm

I was thinking that the other day!! DD and I went to her swimming lesson and the kids from the highschool next to the sportsplex were standing under the overhang at the front doors smoking. There must have been 20 -25 kids smoking. It was awful!! I was so mad I marched into the community police station (its in the same building) and tattled on the kids. There is no reason I should have to push my baby threw a cloud of smoke to get inside. I used to smoke, but never smoked near people or doors. I was almsot paranoid about where I would smoke.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby mammaclare » Nov 08, 2005 10:32 pm

I call on hospitals as a sales rep and I can't tell you the number of times I have had to hold my breath on the way in....and this is while NOT preggo (dont' think I could have handled it at all then). It is patients on O2, some are nurses...YUK...oh, and please don't blow up as I am passing you--I happen to have a family to support!

I recall when I was PG and went back to work in my 3rd tri--I could tell if someone was smoking in a car near me, while we were actually moving (and more so when at a light) even with my windows UP!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby Mishelly » Nov 09, 2005 2:57 am

My dad had the nerve to light up in my house. I told him put that out now he said why, I said "I have a baby in here and I'm going to throw up'". Then he took his sweet a** time going outside to put it out. Then my family memebers that smoke, smoke around me in the car and won't put it out. yuck.
ImageImageImage
Mishelly
Been There Done That

Postby Vanessa » Nov 09, 2005 3:50 pm

I totally agree! DH and I were forced to stay with my MIL for a couple of months and she smokes - in the house! I got pregnant while staying there and had to stay in my bedroom with an air purifier 5" from my face. MIL couldn't understand why I wouldn't come out of my room - even though I told her the smell was making me gag and the fact that I was growing a baby inside of me. She promised not to smoke in the house anymore, but lied; she did it anyway. We moved about a month ago and I haven't been back. I think I have post-traumatic smoke disorder :lol: because just thinking about their house makes me gag. I told DH that I don't think I will ever be able to go back there. I'm already stressing about how I can tactfully get out of going over there for Thanksgiving. Although given how crappy I still feel, I think HG is as good an excuse as any.

People are so inconsiderate when it comes to smoking. I, too, can smell a cigarette from a mile away - even in the car with the windows rolled up. This hypersensitivity to smells really sucks!

Thanks for letting me vent! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Vanessa
Vanessa
Brandon 4/29/06
Vanessa

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 09, 2005 10:32 pm

My Dh smokes. I quit just before I found out I was pg, asthma. I have to say, aside from the smell and the inability to breathe thing, I loved smoking. I still dream about that smoke...that first full inhalation. But then I smell Dh, and after gagging, send him off to another shower LOL
He is very good at mouth wash, but that smell sticks to everything. I have even been asking him to quit, and that's not something I would normally do. (I hated it when people did that to me)

I can smell it from a mile away now, and it has always pissed me off when people smoke in inappropriate areas. I was always a considerate smoker, (unless someone was prissy, rude, or uppity about it and acted like I was satan or something). But NEVER near schools, playgrounds, hospitals, or in crowds. I can't tell you how often I see parents smoking ON SCHOOL GROUNDS while we are waiting for them to get out. Or even in the cars w/ them.
Now, I smell it cars behind me at stop lights and think I am going to die. I wonder if they think I am one of those prissy people I always dispised? :roll: Gave me a new outlook!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby poutyangel » Nov 10, 2005 2:37 pm

I'm really sensitive to smoke. I have terrible sinuses and have had 5 surgeories to remove nasal polyps and my tonsils and adenoids taken out. my mom has smoked since i was about 5, on and off, and she would always either go outside or in the garage. whenever someone is smoking that smell gets into my throat and nose and I can smell it for days afterward. I think most places are making it more uncomfortable to smoke in common areas, but of course theres always inconsiderate jerks who want to give you lung cancer as well as themselves.

I also always did find it odd that people are always smoking in front of hospitals and more shocked that they are usually nurses.
Mom to
*Hailey 6-28-00*
*Regan 4-10-06*
poutyangel
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » Nov 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi All

Well, I work on a Respiratory ward in a main teaching hospital in my city. Some of the nurses and a lot of the nursing assistants still smoke. I mean, how many cases of lung ca. and COPD do you have to see to put you off smoking?????? Also, I have worked in Oncology where people literally die by drowning in their own lung secretions due to their lung ca. brought on by smoking. It's not pretty and it's very painful. I wouldn't recommend it.

What makes me even more mad are the people that sit on the benches outside my local mat. unit smoking - IN A SMOKE FREE ZONE!!!!! Even if they don't mind harming their baby, why should all the other mothers and babies / foetuses who pass in and out be harmed???

Rant over...

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Nov 10, 2005 5:11 pm

I hate cigarettes. When I go to collect dd from school I have to walk through a group of mums standing there puffing away at the gates. I will never understand how people can put something so damaging to their lips. I don't hate smokers, just people who do it where you can't avoid it. Like in restaurants at a table near you. Smoking and eating at the same time....I just don't get it.

Mandy
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 11, 2005 11:34 am

I don't know what it is like in other places, I forget there are places where people can smoke indoors. Out here, it's either outside or in your own home. (I was a car/garage smoker myself)
You can't even smoke in bars here anymore.

I would not be able to eat in a resturant w/ a smoking section. But even a smoker, that would have been the case.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby mandy » Nov 11, 2005 12:51 pm

Brandi,

They are still phasing it out over here. We now have 'smoking sections' in some restaurants - as if the smoke knows to stay over one side :wink: .

M x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby SkunkPaw » Nov 20, 2005 3:50 am

I am so upset!

We recenlty moved to a new apartment. I love them they are so great. One thing that I asked when we moved if there has ever been a complaint about smelling the other neighbors smoking. They said no they have never had that complaint and assured me that we would not be able to smell it if our neighbors did smoke we wouldn't be able to smell it. In our last apartment we could smell our nieghbors smoke and it wasn't just cigs either. The office refused to do anything about it. Anyways, after sleeping all day I sent dh to wal-mart to get some potatoes for a baked potatoes. When he got back I went into the kitchen and I could smell it. I thought it was him. He said that it wasn't and that he has been smelling it in the kitchen and in the bathrooms. He also said that he saw that our neighbors above us smoke. I am going to call the office and complain about it to see what they will do. Do I have any other options?
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 20, 2005 11:51 am

And what would complaining do? They are smoking in their own homes. Maybe you could install fans in your bathroom and kitchen, or place some blowing out the windows?

Love to you deary, but I am glad you are not my neighbor. :lol: We'd make you nuts. Dh smokes, and not just cigs, (personally, I have always liked the smell of pot) and I burn so much incense and sage you'd go nuts!!! :lol:
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby AmberWest » Nov 20, 2005 4:20 pm

I have to say I agree with Brandi on this one as well.

I fully understand the complaints about smoking in inappropriate places and as a smoker would respect that fully. One should NEVER smoke in a restraunt. Ick, nor near a hospital. Even as a smoker I feel that anyone who lights up near a hospital should be fined heavily. I agree that people should never smoke around children, not even in your own car or homes actaully, because it's a hazard to them and while I may choose to smoke does not mean I should inflict that on a defenseless child.

With all that said however, I have to say when I saw the constant ranting on here at the start I asked Brandi if the anti-smoking nazis would be okay if people smoked in their own homes, under the covers with the lights off? Apparenlty that's not even good enough. I too like you a great deal Chasidy, but I can't say complaining about this to management is going to help any and you'll probalby have to come up with some solutions to this on your own. Perhaps buy a air purifier. These people are indeed smoking in their own homes, it's only the smell itself that is bothering you, the smoke itself is not a danger to your health or anything because it's not getting near you. This is one of the pitfalls of apt. living sad to say. And goodness knows I've lived in enough of them. It's not a house, you have to share a large space with many people and conflict is going to come about over levels of music, dogs barking, or like what happened in my last appt. someone who felt the need to cook curry every fricking day. ( I HATE the smell of curry, it makes me want to vomit even when I'm not pg) This is just what happens in apts. and you can't expect the whole building to curtail itself to you just as I couldn't tell those curry sadists to stop fixing that day and night.

I would support you in your rant if the smoke itself was coming into your home and endangering your health and would then suggest making management install fans etc to protect you. But its not really a danger, just an annoyance and the odor bothers you. This is something you're going to have to correct in your home yourself. And for future apt. rentals I'd suggest looking for non-smoking ones. They do exist, at least here anyway and that would help matters all around.
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby JennyK » Nov 21, 2005 12:19 pm

With all due respect to the opinions of Brandi and Amber, I think the LL should do something about the situation. Your neighbors have the right to smoke in their home, but you have the right to live in your home without foul odors creeping in. You asked about smelling smoke before you rented the apartment and the LL assured you it wouldn't be a problem. If he/she doesn't do something about it (and I expect that would be the case), then I would move out if it is a big enough problem. Moving is so much work, though, it may not be worth it.

I am so glad my apartment days are over!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 21, 2005 12:27 pm

like what happened in my last appt. someone who felt the need to cook curry every fricking day.

eeewwwwwwwww curry!!!!!! I hated living in apartments, for so many, many reasons!!! Of course, my house situation now has a huge varity of smells. We live in a big mexican community, so we smell yummy foods cooking all the time, (thank goodness I love mexican food!) and no matter the community, every one has BBQs over the summer. I thought I would die of that this summer, and sat in my house, windows closed, breathing through my mouth under a blanket LOL

But it's STILL better then curry!!!!! ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwww!!!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby SkunkPaw » Nov 22, 2005 4:55 am

Thank you Jenny. That is what I was thinking. If I wouldn't of asked about it and didn't care that is one thing. But I asked and they didn't fully disclose the situation. I haven't smelt it since so I am going to wait to see if it gets bad again. Our rent isn't cheap and it isn't in a real bad part of town - not like we were. I am just going to see what happens.
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Return to "I got crackered" (Vent)