Pessamistic Dr.

Some people say the worst things . . .

Moderator: HelenA

Pessamistic Dr.

Postby HdGAMom2B » Jun 07, 2004 6:10 am

I went a couple of years ago, to the University of Maryland Medical Center, to see a Dr. Alger. We approached her appointment with positivity and hope. We asked her many Q's, wondering the possibility of a reoccurance of HG in subsequent pregnancies, and we wanted to know what the plan of action might be if we wanted bio children.

Her reply to or Q's, was that at the first sign of pg, she woudl shove an NG tube down my throat (up my nose? I can't remember), and have me on bed rest for the duration of my pg. That terrified us,a nd for 3 yrs now, we've spent our time quoting the 'pro', and deciding not to get pregnant. So, here we are, obviously deciding on our own, to TTC. Since talking with her, we found so much informatoin, and recently found this site. It just angers me to no end, that some professionals in their field would approach HG, with such pessimism. First sign,a nd i'm tubed? She told us, point blank, it WILL come back, it WILL be worse, and you WILL want to terminate again, so ADOPT. We burst into tears, and left that appnt, totally devastated.

University of Maryland Medical Center, OBGYN-- Dr. Algers -- we're gong against your word, and believing you are totally WRONG.

We'll find a Dr. that supports our desire to be parents through a pg, and isn't such a fatalist. --Amazing how we take someone's advice, and change our life's goals after hearing it, huh?

Thanks to this site, for providing me with loving and supportive people, who have much more love and education for me than that Dr. ever could.

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 07, 2004 10:44 am

How horrible! Good for you for doing your own research and deciding to ttc despite her negativity and bad advice. Sad to know there are health professionals out there like that. Who knows how many other people she said the same thing to, and maybe they just accepted what she told them? Well, at least you didn't. I'm glad you found the information and support you needed through this website.

Good luck!
Rebecca
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Re: Pessamistic Dr.

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 1:46 pm

Christy -

That is ridiculous. It makes me crazy that so many doctors just don't know the right way to deal with HG. I'm very pro-NG tube, but it doesn't sound like this doctor had the right approach to using it.

Keep looking...I'll try to help you find a great doctor. I know you can make it through a pregnancy with the right treatment, info, and support!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to "I got crackered" (Vent)