I need help

Some people say the worst things . . .

Moderator: HelenA

I need help

Postby rjcharris » Aug 02, 2004 1:44 pm

My daughter has HG. She is 11 weeks pregnant and has lost 26 lbs. She has been in the hospital for hydration 5 times and now is in the hospital as an inpatient. She has been in for 5 days now. She has not had solid food of any kind in 10 days. She has just seen on call doctors, because her doctor did not start till today. He came in and has ordered no visitors, no phone calls and little help from the nurses. He thinks she is doing this for the attention. I left her crying and begging to go home. Her veins are about non exsistent now and they are going to go in under her collar bone to start another IV. I don't know what to do and her husband is beside himself. She has a 3 year old daughter that is also suffering from all this stress. Am I being overly panicked? Somebody help me.
rjcharris

Postby MamaLily » Aug 02, 2004 4:14 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is doing poorly. HG is an awful thing to experience and to witness. And having doctors who don't know what to do makes it worse. I'm glad you found this website and this forum...here you will find all the info and support you and your daughter will need to make it through this difficult time. Please take the time to read in the "Family & Friends" section for ideas about how to help your daughter and her family.

What meds have they tried with your daughter? There are so many available for HG sufferers. Here is a link to a wonderful page on this website - it lists all of the meds that HGers commonly use. Please print it out and take it to your daughter's doctor. It may be that this doctor has never had an HG patient before, in which case you can educate him/her about the options available. Now that she is 11 weeks along, she could be given steroids. I strongly urge you to talk with your doctors about steroids for her...they helped me at 11 weeks when I had not eaten for days, had lost 18 pounds, etc. Here is the link of meds: http://helpher.org/mothers/treatments/medications.php

Are they going to give your daughter any kind of supplemental nutrition (TPN) through her IV? At this point, I think it is important for her to get more than just fluids, especially since she can't eat.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy this post to the "New to the Board-Pregnant" forum. I know that you will get more responses there!

Please tell your daughter that we're thinking about her. She's not crazy and she's not alone. We have all been through HG and have survived it. And I know she can, also. But it will take some help from doctors and from her family. Thanks for writing....it shows that she has some good family support, which is so important. You can be her advocate when she is too sick to fight for what she needs. My mother did that for me - fought for good care because I was way too sick to be my own advocate. I am so grateful!

Look for your message and replies in the "New to the Board-Pregnant" folder near the top of the board. Please keep us posted...I'll be thinking about you and your family!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby wannabemom » Aug 06, 2004 4:37 pm

I just read this post and I'm in tears.

I really hope your daughter is doing better and hopefully they found a Doctor with more experience to help her.
Aimee

2 time HG Survivor
Kristin 6/29/05
Brooklyn 11/20/06
wannabemom

Postby Mattsmom » Sep 06, 2004 4:59 pm

I think your daughter definetly needs to switch docs. I am a Labor and Delivery nurse who is currently undergoing HG. I'm 10 weeks now. How dare her doctor refuse to allow visitors!!! That is appalling to me. Hopefully the nurses aren't enforcing that ridiculous order. I certainly wouldn't. Get her a new doc, her health care is her right and she deserves better care than that.
Mattsmom

Return to "I got crackered" (Vent)