I am going to do it again ....

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

I am going to do it again ....

Postby emmasmummy » Nov 20, 2004 3:35 am

Well my heart says have the 4th baby you know you want to so I am going to ..... going to start ttc next May ....

Each pregnacy has eased off faster and has been better managed but this time I have 3 kids and I have to somehow be able to get my daughter to kindy 3 days per week.

Have had some thoughts on what I would like to do this time ...

Would like to try Unisom .. not sure what it is here in Oz though or how much though.

Will do 32mg of zofran and not 24mg and just find the money somehow to get it.

Will take stool softeners before starting zof as I never want to go through the pain of constipation again.

I am going to put on weight before I get pg.

I am still bfing and would like to try the bfing thing but I need to use clomid to get pg so doubt my ob would let me use it while bfing.

Ok a bit about me ..

severe hg first baby that was so very poorly doubted and managed( clomid baby)

second baby better managed and planned (again clomid) .. took B6 a couple of months prior to falling pg and found it eased off the severity for a while .. ie took longer to get really sick. Was not allowed to use Zof.

third baby unplanned natural conception (and I thought i was infertile LOL!!) 56 day cycle though .. used zofran and severity began to ease off around 10 weeks and weaned by 17 weeks .. whilst it was my best pregnancy I think it was my worst as it took a lot more drugs to get me to the same point of nausea.

I really am interested in doing some form of detox and I cannot remember how long to take the B6 for prior to conception and the dose.

Oh my I am such a crazy woman!!

Thanks for any tips ...
Chris
hg x 4
Emma 20/12/00
Sarah 14/06/02
Callum 28/12/03
Joshua 12/04/06
emmasmummy
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Nov 20, 2004 10:19 pm

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your decision! I too am planning to TTC next May -- and I thought I was the only one planning so far in advance...but I guess May's coming up soon!

Motherisk, which is based here in Canada and experts on NVP, recommend taking 25 mg of B6 three times a day and I think they advise to start taking the B6 about 3 months before you TTC. I've already started taking B6 myself as I figure it probably won't hurt taking it for a couple months before that.

As for the unisom/B6 combination -- there's a post in the First Trimester Forum under the heading Diclectin in the USA that list the ingredients in Diclectin. I believe it is 10 mgs B6 and 10 mgs doxylamine succ pyridoxine. It would probably be a good idea for you to contact Motherisk in regards to unisom/B6 combo as they have done many studies on Diclectin and recommend it as the first line of defence against HG. Their website is: www.motherisk.org or you can call them at 1-800-436-8477. You may be interested to know that there was recently a study published in the Journal of Obstetric Gynaecology that claims women who started taking Diclectin before becoming nauseaous and vomitting experienced less severe HG. Here is the link if you want to read more about it: http://www.motherisk.org/forum/showForum.php?&id=1204

Also, it would probably be good for you to meet with your doctor before you get pregnant to discuss how you want your HG treated. I have an appointment with an OB/GYN that has had experience treating HG in February after which time I plan to finalize my protocol. In the meantime, I'm just gathering all the information I can about treatments for HG so that I know what options are available to me. This website is a great resources for that!

Best of luck to you while you prepare!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby emmasmummy » Nov 21, 2004 2:40 am

Thanks Joanna for ther support and info esp on the unisom ... spoke to my pharmacist friend today and she said that yes they have unisom but she had not heard of diclectin.

I have a great Ob who has been with me all the way through all 3 and since I have to have my IUD removed and a script for fertility drugs an appt will be made as soon as we get back from our Disneyland trek in Feb.

I am so scared and telling myself I am just so silly but I have to do this ..... will be nice to be TTC to conceive with someone as well!!

Hope to chat again soon ...
Chris
hg x 4
Emma 20/12/00
Sarah 14/06/02
Callum 28/12/03
Joshua 12/04/06
emmasmummy
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Nov 21, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi again,

I thought I would just give you some background on Diclectin. Diclectin is what the drug is called in Canada but in the US before it was pulled off the shelved there it was called Benedictin. Your friend may be more familiar with this name. There is a push in the states to have this drug reapproved for use as there have been many many studies done on it and there has been no evidence of birth defects in babies whose mothers took the drug. The unisom/B6 combo basically tries to mimic the ingredients of Diclectin but I do think there is an extra ingredient in the unisom that isn't in the Diclectin (can't remember off hand what it is, but I do think somebody mentions it in that other post I told you about). Another difference between the unisom/B6 combo and Diclectin is that Diclectin has a time release factor that the unisom doesn't have unfortunately. But the unisom/B6 is still effective for alot of women. I hope it will work for you! I tried Diclectin the last time I was pregnant but it didn't do a whole lot for me since I was already vomitting a lot by the time they prescribed it for me. This time I think I'm going to take it before I even get nauseous and hopefully that will make a difference.

My, you are brave to go for another round of HG! How have you managed HG before with your young children? I have no idea how I'm going to care for my son while I'm sick. The first time was absolutely horrible and I didn't have a child to take care of! How I'm going to manage with an active toddler is probably what scares me the most.

Glad to hear that you have a great OB -- that can make all the difference. I myself am still searching for someone that I am comfortable with, can trust and is educated about HG, but I still have some time yet.

We will chat more in the months to come, I'm sure. I'm happy too to have somebody else to be going through this with! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG