HG or not!

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

HG or not!

Postby Chedasha » Feb 12, 2005 1:33 am

Hi

I was on another forum that I use a non HG/Preg one and someone had posted about gastro and then another lady happened to mention well nothng like her pregnacy where she lost 15 kilos in a few weeks and was hospitilised numerous times.

I commented that it sounded like she had HG and not morning sickness that she had suffered from. I also mentioned how my sister wasnt having any more due to the fact she would suffer it again maybe worse.

Anyhow the lady replied with how she had talked to a few friends who had the same and they had perfectlly fine second pregnancies. So she was pretty fine about having another.

So I was thinking .. are some people in denial or are some peoples experiences not so bad for their hospital and vomittiing stays. Maybe she did just have MS. Are there stronger people who just suffer HG and move on?? I know ladies here have been through it a few times but most of you seem to at least acknowledge the living hell it is. How mentally tough it can be on yourselves.

Anyhow I didnt want to press the point so I just said I had heard differently from other HG sufferers experiences but good luck to her for her next pregnancy.

Guess maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss?

Kat
DD Estella Dawn 06/06/2011
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Postby mandy » Feb 12, 2005 6:35 am

Hi Kat,

With my 1st preg I was diagnosed with hg but all but one of my friends and all of my family except my parents had no idea how ill I was. To them I just disappeared for a few months which flew past in their busy lives but felt like forever to me. People loose interest when you're ill for so long which in turn made me play down the illness and feel sure it wouldn't happen again. Therefore I did no research, saw no drs etc before embarking on my 2nd preg. (How stupid).I think at that time I may have appeared to have just had bad morning sickness to most people and I wasn't about to go on and on about how terrible it had been to people who hadn't even been there for me. I suppose I'm trying to say that maybe some of us quietly deal with it (I wanted to kill myself, no-one but my dh knew this and how low I was). This was BAD for me and 2nd time round I broke down to drs, nurses, anyone. I now would tell anyone I suffered from hg and it was awful. You do feel like a failure with hg, like you can't do what nature intended and carry a baby and enjoy it. Maybe that's why that women said what she said? Hope I've made a little sense.
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Natalie » Feb 12, 2005 7:59 am

Hi

I have to say that I have met quite a few ladies on another forum who have been diagnosed with HG and are now ttc again. When I asked them what they were doing to prepare, they were basically shocked that you could prepare! I informed them of my prep. and although mildly interested, I know they still have not made any plans or done any prep. themselves.

I know that they hold the belief that 'every pregnancy is different' and tbh, I try not to hammer the point home as I don't want to be the one to break the news. What I do instead is refer everyone I hear of / read about to this website and if they're that interested they will come and find out for themselves.

Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Chedasha » Feb 12, 2005 9:36 am

Hi Mandy and Natalie

Thanks for your reply's.

I think you both make some excellent points. Maybe she doesnt really want to think about or deal with the possibilities of HG again. It may be easier for all if she just assumes and others have confirmed that it will be fine 2nd time around.

Natalie I think I agree with you re breaking the news. I didn't want to break the news to her either. Its not a pregnancy site so I didnt want to go all indepth or anything. I mean there is a small chance she may not suffer again. I dont know the level of her suffering the first time either. I just hate to see someone go in all underprepared esp when they already have one child to look after. I did make mention of the HG site so she may look into it by herself hopefully.

Kat
DD Estella Dawn 06/06/2011
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Return to Preparation for HG