The 'right' amount of B6

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

The 'right' amount of B6

Postby niki » Mar 07, 2005 7:36 am

I am currently taking 100mg B6 a day, and planning on falling pregnant in the next 6 months or so.

My question is, is this enough? Or should I be taking 150mgs? And what should I up it to, once I fall pregnant? Is 200mg still acceptable?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Niki
niki

Postby bibliojo » Mar 08, 2005 1:16 am

Hi Niki,

I think 100 mg of B6 is fine. Motherisk (experts on nausea and vomitting in pregnancy here in Canada) recommend taking 25 mg three times a day prior to falling pregnant. For me, I have been taking 100 mg pills too as it just isn't practical remembering to take my B6 3 times a day -- I have trouble enough trying to remember taking it once! Plus too I have never found B6 in any other dosage other than 50 mg and 100mg (but this is in Canada so it may be different in the States).

Once you are pregnant you can up your dose to 150 mg a day. I think that this is the limit for pregnant women as it can cause nerve damage if taken in large amounts for extended periods of time. However, I know several women around here took 200 mg of B6 a day as that was the suggested limit a couple years ago and their babies all turned out fine. Maybe talk to your dr about how much you can take once you are pregnant.

Hope this helps!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby ColoradoMelissa » Mar 19, 2005 4:30 pm

Has anyone heard about getting regular B6 injections prior to conception? I seem to remember reading a protocol for this somewhere but can't locate the article. My husband and I are preparing to do this again, and while I think most of the prep is mental (after 26 days inpatient, central line for hydration etc. last time, it is daunting), I am hoping that there is something physical I can do to minimize the struggle. Any information re: preconception B6 in pill or injection form is helpful. Thanks.
Melissa
Mom to Will 11/11/03
#2 due early April 2006
HG Survivor
ColoradoMelissa

Postby bibliojo » Mar 21, 2005 10:00 pm

Hi,

I searched this site and wasn't able to come up with anything on injectable B6 but I have learned that Ivydragon (Andy), who is one of the moderators on this site, had B6 injections during her first and second pregnancies. I'll see if I can contact her in regards to this. However, she is really busy these days and may not get back to me. In the meantime, I'll do some searching on the old HuGS site and see if I can come up with something for you there.

Something you may want to consider trying is sublingual B6. I've heard that it's apparently more effective than regular oral B6. There's a recent post in the First Trimster folder about sublingual B6 if you are interested in learning more about it.

Hope this helps! And good luck!
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

B6 with other vitamins

Postby princess » Apr 01, 2005 1:33 pm

Has anyone taken their B6 with a complex? I am taking a B6 in a 100 complex. All the B vitamins are in it. With my first bout of HG I had bad thyroid issues, and I have read other B vitamins like 1,2, & 5 are thyroid supporters? Do they work together?
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Apr 06, 2005 6:04 pm

Melissa,

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to get back to you. I haven't been able to find out much in regards to injectable B6 but here are a couple links to the old HuGS site in which they talk about the various forms of B6. I will keep searching and if I find anything new I will let you know.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.a ... 2Fmessages

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.a ... 2Fmessages

Hope this helps,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Apr 06, 2005 6:33 pm

Okay, so those links don't work. They will take you to the HuGS site but not the threads that I wanted. So, we'll have to do this the complicated way. Go to the HuGS site, click on advanced search and search by the number of the thread. The numbers are 599 for the first post and 600 for the second post. If you have any problems getting it, let me know.

Erin, I was going to respond to your question today too but my son has jsut woken up from his nap and is having a bad reaction to the shot he had this morning at the drs so I need to tend to him. I will get back to your question as soon as possible!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Apr 09, 2005 12:49 am

Erin,

My apologies to you too in taking so long to get back to you! You guys are asking hard questions and I'm having to do a bit of research! :wink:

Anyway, I have googled vitamin B6 complex as I really don't know the answer to your question. I wasn't able to find much, but I did find this site that explains how the B vitamins work. Here is the link: http://home.howstuffworks.com/vitamin-b.htm Maybe check it out and see if it helps you at all. I did read on another site that B6 is good for an overactive thyroid but I don't know if this is your issue or not.

I'm sorry I can't help you more!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG