Any tips for questions to ask the Doc at a pre ttc visit?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Postby bibliojo » Apr 22, 2005 11:44 am

Robin,

Yes, I am officially ttc!!! :shock: But I probably won't be ovulating until the first week in May so it's kinda technically May.... :wink: We decided to go a cycle early because my sis is out of school now until the end of August and we'd like to take full advantage of her offer to help. Plus too I'm guessing that Luke will get into speech therapy in September and if I get pregnant right away I could have the worst of the HG out of the way then so that I can help in his speech therapy. There's lots of little factors like this that go into this decision. I personally would prefer not to have a January baby (the baby would be due late January if I concieve this cycle)but us HGers can't be too picky when it comes to timing these things! I figure if I have help now to get me through it that would be better than not having help but having a baby when I want. So here goes it...I'm not too scared yet. I've just been panicking about all the things I have to do yet to be "ready"!

Have fun at DisneyWorld....you'll be joining me yet! :P

Hugs,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Apr 24, 2005 5:00 am

Hi Ladies,

Robin - Have fun at Disney! What a great idea, to spend that family time pre-HG. :)

Joanna - how exciting that you've taken the plunge already with ttc!! Good luck, I really hope that things happen quickly so that you're timing is all as good as can be hoped for. :)

Those two website adresses are:
www.funwithspot.com - this one has "print and play" pages associated with the park, beach and farm site games. If Lukas likes Spot the dog, he'll enjoy these.

www.abc.net.au/children/play/home.htm - in the "make and do" section you'll find a "print out and colour" section with 6 pages of toys (stuffed animals and a Humpty Dumpty that's featured on the TV Show). There is also a section called "Playschool Party Packs" where there are print-and-colour pages of cards, placemats, hats, masks, etc - about 22 different pages total and because the toys look fairly generic it shouldn't matter that Lukas wouldn't know them from the show.
If you're craft-minded have a good look around this site as there are also loads of other activity suggestions. They have a "useful box" concept where the box contains a whole lot of stuff most people have around the house (paper, cardboard, tape, crayons, etc) used in over 150 different craft projects for pre-schoolers of various levels of difficulty. Great rainy-day (or in our case, HG-months) entertainment!

Once again, best of luck with ttc - maybe I'll see you in the first trimester boards!

take care :)

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Kadinga » Apr 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Just an update, in case anyone is interested.

I received the formal plan from my old GP today. She has discussed it with my OB and the practice's only other GP insured to consult with pregnant women, and neither of them had any objections.

It blew me away, though, that in the introductory paragaph she describes my HG as "quite severe". From what I've read here and from people I know, there are so many ladies who have suffered so much more than I did (14% weight loss in 3 weeks aside) particularly in the second half of the pregnancy.

Also, it amazes me that I appear to be the only woman on the planet that maxolon ever worked for, particularly if I qualify as "quite severe". Maybe the "Lie down for at least 10-15 minutes after taking it" rule is more effective than I realised, or maybe it was just co-incidence and the potassium, steroids, IV, hospital stay, quitting work, ruling out water, stopping my ditropan prescription and feeling like people were taking me seriously was what made the difference.

I'm really eager to experiment with these ideas in my next pregnancy now. Maybe I can be one of the lucky ones that has an easier time. :)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Apr 28, 2005 11:54 am

Hooray, Amanda! I'm so glad that your new doctors agree with your protocol! It must be a huge relief for you. :D

On a side note, I took Maxeran (which I think is your Maxalon) and it worked reasonably well for me. It did at least curb some of the vomitting but I found that it make me very depressed and anxious. That said though I am planning to take it again this time round. But at least this time I have more options available to me if the maxeran doesn't work for me again. Last time that was that was all that was offered to me after the diclectin didn't work!

Oh and btw, thanks for posting those websites! Good luck!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Apr 28, 2005 9:56 pm

:D

Hey there, Joanna,

I've looked up "Maxolon", and it's the brand name for Metoclopramide, so if that's the same as your Maxeran then we're definitely on the same drug. It's a shame that it affected your moods as it did, as I imagine that will be harder when you add in your feelings for how Lukas is coping with everything. I don't remember it affecting me in that way, but I was living in such a cloud the whole time I probably wouldn't have noticed! :lol:

I'll be moving into the ttc boards on Sunday.... scary but exciting.... I don't really feel ready, but I guess I never really will. Maybe I'll run in to you there.

Thankyou so much for taking an interest in this issue with me. It has helped a great deal.

hugs

Amanda

ps, I hope Lukas likes those websites.
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Apr 29, 2005 10:52 am

Amanda,

Yup, it was metoclopramide that I took. It gets so confusing when each country has a different name for the same medication! But I'm glad it works for you. I'm planning to take it again simply because it is cheap and it did have the best results out of anything I tried last time. But this time too I have options beyond it which I didn't have before. I really don't want to take antidepresents as I'll be taking enough pills already -- I think if I take Dramamine (Gravol), Ranitidine, Maxeran (metoclopramide) and Diclectin, I'll be taking 24 pills a day! :shock: How am I going to keep all of those pills down??? Or maybe with taking so many pills I'm just increasing my odds of keeping something down! (probably wishful thinking I know!) Oh well.

Am very excited that you are moving to the ttc boards on Sunday! Can't wait for you to join me!!! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Apr 29, 2005 9:58 pm

Joanna, that is certainly a big load of pills. :o Good luck with that. I hope you manage to swallow them, and I hope that doing so pays off.

Btw: I found two more print & colour sites in my travels:
www.paddingtonbear.co.uk - 2 scenes to colour
www.bramblyhedge.co.uk - 4 pictures

ttc tomorrow........... :)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » Apr 30, 2005 1:15 am

Well, I'm not TTC, but my son does love finding new things on the computer, so we're enjoying these links.

Here's some of our favorites (Aaron likes the games and stories, but there are coloring pages to print too)

www.sesameworkshop.com

http://www.hitentertainment.com/thomasa ... epage.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/teletubbies/ (I hate the teletubbies, but Aaron LOVES them, just don't try letting your kid play any of the online games here while you are pg - guaranteed to make you puke!!)
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby bibliojo » May 01, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks for the links Aimee and Amanda! I think I'm going to start a new thread of these so that others will be able to find them and add to them! This is going to be a good way to keep our kids occupied and maybe we might be able to tolerate looking at a few of the sites with them??? (that is if they aren't too colourful and fast moving....)

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Preparation for HG