Some more preparing questions before ttc

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Some more preparing questions before ttc

Postby Bethers » Jul 04, 2005 5:11 pm

I am going to contemplate either taking the B6 or Folic Acid now. I worry about my IBS though. Reading that B6 can get you sickish feeling. Also, don't want to get kidney stones. My sisterinlaw non prego has had 4 this year. Ouch. Also, for constipation I am thinking of Fibercon eveything else they gave me made me sick and having IBS that worked at the end by taking that. Has anyone gotten bad reaction or stomach ache to the folic acid?? I know it's important to start. I could start it and then gradually increase it - the folic acid that is? I am scared of the vit b6 though after reading some of the posts. Thanks in advance for any replies.....
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Jul 05, 2005 9:29 am

Hello Bethers,

Yes, B6 can give you a sickish feeling. I initially started out on 100 mg of B6 but then reduced the dosage to 50 mg. When I upped the dosage to 100 mg again a couple months before we started to ttc, I handled the 100 mgs a lot better. I can't say that I have had any adverse reactions to the folic acid though. The recommended amount is only .4 mg. My suggestion to you in regards to the B6 and folic acid is take small doses. Maybe start out with 25 mg of B6 and .4 mg of folic acid. If you start to feel sick, drop the B6 and see how you do on the folic acid alone. If you don't feel sick, up the dosages. Just because you start taking the B6 and folic acid does not mean that you have to continue taking them until you start to ttc although it would be preferable that you do take the folic acid as it has shown to significantly reduce neural tube defects in the baby.

Hope this helps,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jul 05, 2005 9:41 am

Hi again,

I forgot to add that from what I've read on the web B6 can actually help kidney stones. And I'm a bit confused about the Fibercon. Were you thinking of taking it when you are pregnant or is this before you get pregnant? I can't say that the B6 or folic acid has caused any constipation for me, but then you may have a different reaction having IBS.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bratty477 » Jul 05, 2005 1:51 pm

I have been taking 100 mg of B6 and a prenatal that has the recommended dosage of folic acid and I haven't felt bad at all. I don't know if it makes any difference but I've been taking it with dinner and only at night. If it has any sickish effects, I'm pretty much sleeping by then I think. :D
bratty477
HG Expert

Return to Preparation for HG