Medications Available PLEASE =)

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Medications Available PLEASE =)

Postby Spewy_McDooey » Jun 30, 2004 10:02 am

Hi Girls,

After suffering from HG last time, I never want to be pregnant again. But I face the heartbreaking decision of watching my daughter grow up without a little sibling, which has always been my absolute "life plan".

I spent every week from 6 weeks gestation being sick (hence the forum nickname which Hubby kindly gave to me at 16 weeks when things were really bad). I'm really not keen on being hospitalised for 3 months, losing 1/4 of my body weight and hurking 3 times a day for 34 weeks. Last time I had a really "simple" OB who was a non believer in medical aide of the sort. When things were REALLY bad, I was given maxalon and stemetil?

ANYWAY, being that I am in Australia, the medications you girls were given may have different names, but I basically just want a list of every possible medication available, vitamins, diets, ANYTHING!! Just a brief description of what is does, how you use it etc (I couldnt actually stomach tablets in the end, used to just vomit them back up 15 minutes later) really just anything I can throw at my new OB so she can "organise" or enlighten me about if need be.

ANY input whatsoever will be appreciated. I'm desperate for some preparation second time around :)
Spewy_McDooey

Postby MamaLily » Jun 30, 2004 2:18 pm

Dear Spewy (I love the name) :) -

The most comprehensive list of treatments that I know of is on this website. http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-grav ... /index.php. It shows pretty much everything that has been tried on HGers. And I have often referred to the medications page http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-grav ... ations.php. I used this medications page a lot when I was preparing for an HG pregnancy. And I printed it and took it to my doctor's appointment. It was very helpful. There are probably women here who have tried all of the treatments listed on these pages...so if you have questions, please ask!

Have you already visited http://www.safefetus.com/? It is a website where you can put in the name of any medicine and it will give you all the trade names. It might be helpful for you to track down some of the medicines.

Good luck to you!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 01, 2004 8:22 am

Hi, I'm Traci and I think I replied to you before. I know I read your intro. somewhere. Anyway, I'm just starting looking into medications for Australia (as I threw my file before I knew this forum was opening). This is a preliminary look at the meds. I have done the same as Anna suggested and started with the list from this site and run them through a couple of other sites to find names and products for Australia. This is just a start. I need to look more at dosages and prices etc. The following are available in Australia.
serotonin antagonists - zofran
corticosteroids - depomedrol
antihistamines - dramamine, dozile,unisom,restavit,benadryl
antidopaminergics - stemetil, phenergan, haldol
antireflux - zantac, tagamet, pepcid
prokinetic agents - maxolon

The group name is from the common medications list on this site. The drug names I ran through an Australian on line pharmacy. I'm sure there are more. Some are prescription and others over the counter. There may be a large price difference between medications in the same group. You could start at your doctor or pharmacist to see what they have and dosage and price. I think there is one drug for each of the major groups listed on the site. You will have to read up to see which group of medications you are willing to put in your protocol and in which order - and then you will need to find a doctor who will try them for you.

Hope this gets you started. Please get back to us all with questions and any information you can share. Hopefully we can get this into a more detailed list.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 01, 2004 8:26 am

Thanks Anna

I meant to reply to you last time you posted the site address. It has been quite helpful (although they didn't list unisom - go figure!). I hope we can get a better list of drugs for the Australians from this. I will also have to get onto blooming awful again and run through the UK drugs. I know we have had questions from Singapore and Israel and I did the Japan ones.

Thanks again
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby MamaLily » Jul 01, 2004 3:15 pm

Traci -

I'm glad that site has been helpful. I wonder if they have considered putting up a page on this website about getting HG medications in other countries. There are probably enough HGers here from different countries that it would be worth it.

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 04, 2004 12:14 pm

Anna and Traci - feel free to ask Kimber about it. I think it's a good suggestion. :)

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG