High Dose of Zoloft

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

High Dose of Zoloft

Postby calicallie » Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

Hi,
I haven't posted since my first pregnancy, but I'm back! We are planning to start trying for #2 in a couple months (I keep pushing it back) and I'm getting very nervous. Last time around I was in an awful place both physically and mentally. I went off my anxiety meds before getting pregnant but ended up back on a high dose in my 2nd trimester. This time around all my drs want me to stay on a high does from the absolute beginning. This means I will be on 100mg of zoloft from conception. Since it is already such a high dose I'm also worried about wiggle room in terms of increasing it if the anxiety gets worse during the pregnancy, especially with hyperemesis. I'm also soooo worried about the effects a high does will have on a baby during the 1st trimester. I'm looking for any support from anyone who has been on a higher dose of zoloft or a SSRI during their first trimester and had a healthy baby. Thank you all!!!!
Callie
calicallie

Postby joy_g » Jan 25, 2012 7:52 pm

hi there!
first of all, do you have a psychiatrist or is your GM prescribing these? your psych should be able to provide you with either the information on risks/benefits or a source of information you can access yourself. i believe that mine recommended
womensmentalehealth.org
but you can do a google search for resources online.
as far as the risks of the drugs, i'm sure you know that any possible side effects of zoloft have to be weighed against the effects of depression/anxiety during pregnancy. (i take zoloft for depression...) and i'm not sure who is telling you that 100mg is a large dose. the max dose is actually 300mg, so 100mg is still on the low end of moderate.
in my case, i've had two HG pregnancies on zoloft throughout. having had multiple major depressions since my early teens, it was really not a wise option for me to discontinue zoloft during pregnancy. DD (#1) i was on 100mg, DS (#2) i was on 200mg. the first time around, i worried a lot about possible effects, but by #2 i had made my decision and seen it through already, so it was a lot easier. hopefully it eases your mind to know that neither of my babies had any complications resulting from the zoloft. and i have not had any mental health breakdowns that would be out of the ordinary for HG. hallelujah!
zoloft is one of the safest SSRIs for pregnancy, and with all the added stress of HG, i am SO glad i made the decision to maintain a stable dose. zoloft is pregnancy category C.
i did discontinue taking xanex (which i only took occasionally for anxiety anyway). it does have higher risks during pregnancy -- category D.
please let me know if you have any other questions related to this, because it sounds like a remarkably similar situation to mine!

just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby calicallie » Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks so much for responding! My psychiatrist is the one prescribing the zoloft. I guess I'm just nervous because last time I wasn't on it until the 2nd trimester. I remember the high risk dr telling me the risks when I asked and he said I didn't have to worry about the heart defects because I didn't take it during the 1st trimester. I just can't go off it this time! I was such a mess. I had to take Ativan (category D) starting in the 2nd trimester too. I know the risks are small I just am still so worried. I'm also worried that if I start out the pregnancy with 100 then what happens if I still have out of control anxiety???? I really appreciate your response and am so glad you have two healthy babies!!
calicallie

Postby joy_g » Jan 27, 2012 7:39 pm

imo, it is imperative to begin an HG pregnancy with as much cushion as possible -- and this means as stable a place mentally/emotionally as we can achieve.
when you start a pregnancy by pulling the rug out from under yourself (ie: going off meds you need), that can start a roller coaster where you never get to a decent place until the stressors have eased. in our case, that's definitely not under pregnancy is well over!

i still remember my OB actually jogging down the hallway after one of my appointments to double check that i was still on my zoloft -- he didn't want to take any chances on depression exacerbating the HG. it was a funny sight!

with a starting dose of 100mg, you still have plenty of wiggle room to increase as needed. i know you feel like that's a high dose -- but it's only a third of the max dose. and if you stay on it consistently, the likelihood is that it will continue working for you. in some ways, it's similar to treating HG -- if you stay under control (you know, for an HGer!!), you'll have a much easier time than if you push yourself to wean off the meds or do too much. once you start the downward spiral, it's so much harder to ever get back to a stable place. that's true of mental health and hyperemesis, so i applaud your decision. and i know how difficult it is to weigh the risks, all while dealing with the anxiety of knowing what the next nine months are likely to hold. but you'll be fine! and your babies will be better off for having a slightly saner mommy. :wink: there is no way for us to have a medication free pregnancy anyway, right? it'll be okay! take deep breaths now while you still can.

noticed that i misspelled "mental" in that website address. hope you could find it anyway.

just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Re: High Dose of Zoloft

Postby waleeed » Feb 11, 2016 7:03 am

in my case, i've had two HG pregnancies on zoloft throughout. having had multiple major depressions since my early teens, it was really not a wise option for me to discontinue zoloft during pregnancy. DD (#1) i was on 100mg, DS (#2) i was on 200mg. the first time around, i worried a lot about possible effects, but by #2 i had made my decision and seen it through already, so it was a lot easier. hopefully it eases your mind to know that neither of my babies had any complications resulting from the zoloft. and i have not had any mental health breakdowns that would be out of the ordinary for HG. hallelujah!
=== free slots ===
waleeed

Return to Preparation for HG