For those who had more than 2 HG pregnancies...

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

For those who had more than 2 HG pregnancies...

Postby Valtravels » Aug 07, 2013 10:16 am

Did it get worse everytime?

My second was way worse than 1st, but for some reason I still consider a 3rd. I feel like I am crazy :(
I remember reading somewhere it usually gets worse every time. Is this true?

Many thanks,

V

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1014399
Valtravels

Re: For those who had more than 2 HG pregnancies...

Postby DebbieS » Aug 08, 2013 2:20 am

My second preg was also way worse than my first. My 3rd started with me throwing up from the conception date, but with aggressive & pre-emptive treatment it was much better than my second.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby Valtravels » Aug 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you Debbie for your response... May I ask what sort of pre-emptive treatments?

My second pregnancy treatment was quite aggressive I think (picc line), but maybe started too late...?

Thank you,

Valerie
Valtravels

Postby DebbieS » Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

I started B6 and acupuncture before ttc, then unisom & B6 (and ginger...) as soon as I suspected I was preg (but before I could get a positive test). My doses were increased & zofran was added as the symptoms increased. When I got to the can't stay hydrated stage I was put on steroids (week 9) and was kept on them long term. What was different to the 2nd preg was that there wasn't as much time wasted before moving on to the next step of treatment - I had agreed on a treatment plan with my Drs before ttc. Our goal was to stay on top of treatment so I didn't have the same complications as before. It worked, although the HG was still a sucky experience.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby abba12 » Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm

With my first I had no idea what was happening to me, I believed the doctors when they said there were no safe anti nausea meds in pregnancy, the one med I did try I had a VERY bad reaction to, and I kept eating sugary food for a quick hit of energy instead of trying to force down at least carbs, or preferably a little protein. By the time I began meds and learnt what was happening to me, it was too late, I suffered my whole pregnancy AND for 3 months afterwards

With my second I began meds immediately, found the 'herbal remedy' and was generally much better prepared and organized. The HG was much, much easier (I only felt like dying for about a month, and I was better, though still nauseous, from about 20 weeks)

These were both girls

I have just conceived my 3rd, I'm 6w3d, and... nothing. Well, not nothing, it would be considered moderate morning sickness I suppose, but... wow. My guess, at this point, is that this is a little boy. It's my only explanation.

Even if I had gotten HG again, I was even more prepared and knowledgable this time, and I was able to start both treatments immediately, so I expect it would have been better, or at least no worse, than my second daughter.
abba12

Postby Valtravels » Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Wow this is great! And encouraging...
What is the 'herbal remedy'?!

All my best,

Val
Valtravels

Postby ShannonD » Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am

With my first I was uneducated & untreated for a long time due to my OB not diagnosing me with HG. It was during one of my ER visits (at around 18-20 weeks) that the ER MD diagnosed me with HG & finally started me on Zofran. I had sever to moderate HG all throughout that pregnancy.
I am currently 19 weeks into my second pregnancy & I started on Zofran at 7 weeks - had severe HG from 5 weeks until around 15 weeks, moderate for a couple weeks & now I'm mostly mild. I find that advocating for early treatment, finding alternative therapies to use with my medication & honestly just being on here for my mental health has helped this pregnancy be easier.
I have to put it out there that could HG be worse with more term pregnancies due to having more children to care for? I know I would not be feeling this "good" if I had a toddler to look after. My son is 5 & is pretty self sufficient (can dress himself, get his own snacks, keep himself entertained...), which allows me more rest & exert less energy. Kudos to those of you going through this with little ones.... I couldn't imagine!
Owen - 2008/09/06 - HG 5 wks until delivery, untreated/diagnosed until 18wks, multiple IV's & Zofran, lost 55lbs
DS - Due Date 2014/03/12 - HG 5-22wks, multiple IV's, Zofran & Acupuncture, lost 35lbs. Medicated Fluffy 22-32wks. HG started back up at 32wks :(
ShannonD
Been There Done That

Return to Preparation for HG