Perspective, and a little hope.

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Perspective, and a little hope.

Postby abba12 » Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

I have suffered HG with both my previous pregnancies (both girls). I was hospitalized with the first, but a combination of meds and a certain 'herbal remedy' kept me above the line for the second.) It was hard to accept this is how my pregnancies would be, as we had intended to have a large family (I'm one of 5 and my husband is one of 8). I love children, but I also love, you know, being able to stand up and eat occasionally.

So when I got those two lines two and a half weeks ago, and estimated myself at 4 weeks that day, figuring I had about a week before it hit. I prepared. We did a big freezer stock up, cleaned the house, organized a cleaner, took the 3 hour trip to buy the 'herbal remedy' from the most trustworthy source we can find, and set up some things for my toddlers during the worst of it.

Now, at 6w3d... nothing. (well, not exactly nothing, but I'll explain that shortly). It's amazing. I had heard of women who got HG with girls and almost nothing with boys, and always wondered if that might happen to me. I think it has. It is amazing, I am pregnant and ENJOYING my pregnancy. I never thought I could feel like this, I have the happy hormones people talk about, I'm glowing, it is wonderful! The only thing that could make this better is if it turned out to be a girl (not because I don't want a boy, I do, but if it's a girl, that means I might be finished with HG forever, not just for boys) I have my hopes for a large family back... even if I still suffer with girls, my treatment meant that my last one was bearable, I only felt like dying for about a month, and if I only have a 50/50 chance of getting sick in the first place... I think I can handle that.

Funny thing is, I keep raving about how wonderful I feel, and then I have to stop and clarify when talking to people because people relate my 'feeling well' to their own experiences, which is entirely inaccurate. By 'feeling great' I mean I am currently still taking one medication (frankly it's a security thing, I'm terrified of what might happen if I don't, still remembering my first, initially unmedicated, pregnancy) My meal portions are about the same size as my 2.5yo daughter, I have constant queasiness, I CANNOT get up in the morning without eating in bed first (you know, for normal morning sickness, crackers actually work! Haven't tried ginger yet) and I have to constantly eat. I can't nap in the afternoon because the period of time spent not eating makes me sick, and after about 7pm I am rather sick. I can't bend over from the tummy or do anything that involves using my tummy muscles without nausea, and likely it will still get a bit worse than this before the end of the first trimester. By most definitions that is moderate morning sickness, but to me, it's nothing, I hardly even notice it except when I run out of snacks which sound appealing. All those women who had morning sickness and try to offer understanding and relate the experience of HG to the experience of MS? Bull, this is not even close to comparable. I don't know what normal MS mums are complaining about tbh (I know, it's bad by their standards, it's all about perspective). Honestly, to me, this 'little bit' of MS is nothing compared to what I have survived twice before.

I hope my story can offer a little hope to those who would one day like another baby, or at least a laugh about what an ex-HG mama thinks of plain old morning sickness. There is some hope for some of us. And even for those who do get HG again, being better prepared and informed made a huge difference between my first and second daughters. I honestly don't know how I survived my first, I can't imagine doing it again. But my second... I could have done that again, and the only difference was knowing more.
abba12

Re: Perspective, and a little hope.

Postby Saph18 » Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Abba, I hope it keeps going well for you ! Thanks for sharing! :)
DS 2012-10: HG from 7-Birth (Diclectin/Metoclopramide - Depression) Survivor
DD 2014-05: HG from 4-Birth (Diclectin/Zofran) Survivor
Saph18
Been There Done That

Postby ShannonD » Oct 17, 2013 9:41 am

So good to read your story!! Glad this pregnancy is going well & hope it just continues throughout the pregnancy!!
Owen - 2008/09/06 - HG 5 wks until delivery, untreated/diagnosed until 18wks, multiple IV's & Zofran, lost 55lbs
DS - Due Date 2014/03/12 - HG 5-22wks, multiple IV's, Zofran & Acupuncture, lost 35lbs. Medicated Fluffy 22-32wks. HG started back up at 32wks :(
ShannonD
Been There Done That

Postby abba12 » Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm

It has, unfortunately, turned into HG, but it is minor and responding REALLY well to medication. I haven't wished I was dead yet, and I'm already 9 weeks, so that's gotta count for something! So it's still better.
abba12

Postby Saph18 » Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear that abba, but I'm glad to know that you are managing well! xx
DS 2012-10: HG from 7-Birth (Diclectin/Metoclopramide - Depression) Survivor
DD 2014-05: HG from 4-Birth (Diclectin/Zofran) Survivor
Saph18
Been There Done That

Postby jaidyn-elle » Dec 20, 2013 11:55 pm

did you do anything to prepare for this one?
jaidyn-elle

Return to Preparation for HG