Trying for our 2nd child 7 years later

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Trying for our 2nd child 7 years later

Postby ellie » Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm

After a long time my husband and I decided to try for our second child. When I was pregnant with my first it was such a hard experience that when it was over I was not even sure I wanted to go through it again but a lot has changed since my first pregnancy. (although not nearly enough). For one I found this website. The first time around I felt I was the only one who ever went through this. It did not help that it was not until I was 5 almost 6 months pregnant I finally found a doctor who diagnosed me with hyperemesis and did not think I was crazy, making myself throwup due to an eating disorder, or told me to tough it up because all women go through morning sickness,etc. Because I have found a doctor who knows about hyperemesis and because there are luckily more who do know about it now I have made a plan with my doctor to come up with a plan. It also helps that I am preparing myself. No longer do I think pregnancy (for me) will be a slightly larger stomach craving pickles and icecream. I am treating this like preparing for a marathon. It will probably be hell for me. If anyone has any tips of new things they have tried that helped with the horrible symptoms let me know. Wish me luck and thanks again for having a great sight to be able to get support from those who do know what I went through and may go through again. One of the hardest things for me was not having the support the first time.
ellie

Re: Trying for our 2nd child 7 years later

Postby DebbieS » Jan 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Exciting for you! I agree it's like preparing for a marathon. What preparation have you done so far? Wishing you lots of luck.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby ellie » Jan 18, 2014 10:44 pm

So far trying to remember the things I was not able to do so I can get help with that. Childcare, meal planning, planning time off from work if needed, etc. As for meds I was so far into my pregnancy last time and this one could be different so I may get new meds this time. Last time, when they finally diagnosed me I was so severely dehydrated that they at first had me admitted to the hospital for about a month on bed rest with fenergan (spelling?) and a cocktail of anti heartburn meds. Then I went home on bed rest with a PICC line with fenergan and the heartburn meds. This time we have talked about a Zofran pump or Zofran through the PICC line. Also early treatment the minute I start the never ending nausea. I have also tried to research ways to tell a young child what you are going through. My son knows that we are trying for another child but at this point we have not told him about hyperemesis. Are there any books etc for helping kids if I should get it? Thanks again
ellie

Postby ellie » Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

I wanted to add that last time I was on TPN when I was admitted in the hospital until birth. In addition I believe the reason my son survived is due to the advocacy I had from my family. That although they had no idea how I felt and I longed for support from someone who would understand they stood up for mine and my child's health. After speaking with hubby and debating I decided to share my story here. I am hoping it will help someone going through it or if you have a family member going through it to help them. It will also explain why I waited 7 years to try and have another child. so here goes-

I did not plan for my pregnancy. I had actually thought I had a horrible stomach virus and went to see my family doctor who gave me the surprising news that I was 3 weeks pregnant. At that time I was about as sick as someone with the flu but could still manage to keep some food and fluids down. At about 6 weeks that changed. Due to how sick I was and my husband's schedule I stayed with my mom during my husband's work schedule.(at that time I worked for a company who had no policy for sickness and ended up losing that job. Technically they told me I could come back but once I was well I did not go back. I found another company I have worked for about 6 years with that is wonderful) Well my mom one night after having seen me throw up so much that I was not even able to keep water down and throwing up stomach acid took me to the ER. My mom did not know what was wrong but know something was not right. After many tests to "find out" what was wrong I was told all tests came back normal and I was told this was morning sickness and to keep trying to eat and given a list of foods to eat. I got home and for a week tried my best to keep eating but nothing stayed up. My husband rushed me to the ER this time (since our doctor could not get me in.) Again I was told it was morning sickness and sent back home after being given fluids via IV. I was also told to make an early appointment with our obgyn. Which I did. I got into see them about 3 months pregnant. I was by this time very dehydrated. I was given a anti nausea medicine pill. Which did not help since I could not keep it down. This obgyn kept telling me I was just going through morning sickness. They kept telling me that I was needing to stop making myself throw up the pills which were so small that people with cancer could keep them down why should I not be able to. I left there feeling like I was doing something wrong but I knew I was trying my best. I kept trying to keep on going but kept getting worse. Back and forth to the DR and ER. I felt so bad going to the ER that finally tried to lie to my mom and husband that I would be ok to stop going. One night though I got so sick that I fainted. I was rushed to the ER to here the same things. Why was I hear. It was in my end, etc etc. By that time I got very depressed at 5 almost 6 months into my pregnancy that I told the DR I wanted to end my life. I have never been depressed like this in my life. My mom and husband knew something was wrong. I remember my mom telling the obgyn that although she did not know what was wrong with my that it was not what they were saying and at 5 months pregnant we went to another obgyn. They also did not know what was wrong but they did say we will find out and we believe you. Finally someone who knew this was not in my head. This doctor took the time to research this and finally came up with the diagnosis hyperemesis. They researched treatments and admitted me into the hospital then at home with bed rest and iv meds until birth. Thankfully my son is a healthy happy active boy. What I learned is this time find a doctor who knows about hyperemesis and get treatment early. Also found this website to finally find support from those who know what I went through. Sorry for the long post but again I hope that sharing may help someone else. Especially if you know someone going through this. Advocate for them. I put on a brave face but if not for my mom and husband I would not have found the help I needed that saved my life.
ellie

Postby DebbieS » Jan 20, 2014 4:00 am

You are very smart and realistic to be considering things like childcare & time off work. I have heard of a children's book talking about hyperemesis (and was talked about on this site) but it was a while ago & I'm not sure what it's called. I think the important thing is to emphasise your safety to your child. A child can equate being very sick = will die, so will need reassurance that any hospital stays, scary looking pumps or lines are good things that keep you safe. It is good to have a specific medical protocol agreed on with your Dr before ttc. You need an agreement on exactly what meds you can take once pregnant but before your first appointment, what meds you will try if the NVP worsens, at what stage will you move onto a zofran pump, or home care or TPN. I did this with my high risk Dr before my last pregnancy & he communicated with my GP what the protocol was beforehand. It meant as soon as I suspected I was pregnant (pretty much conception day - way before you can test positive) I could start on meds. The GP knew the protocol so followed it before I had my first high risk Dr appointment. My hospital records had directions from the high risk Dr so the ER staff & my OB were on the same page. This made a huge difference, particularly as our protocol was different to the hospital's standard protocol (which was inadequate/unsafe for severe HG). Your story of your last pregnancy was very moving & your advocacy inspiring.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby ellie » Jan 21, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks. I will do a search on this sight for the book. I have been trying to read through this sight to get more info but with so much info have not completed reading through all of it. Making doctor's appts soon. With my and my husband's insurance changes this year getting info on what meds etc are covered and the final go ahead from doctor before getting pregnant. Sometimes I hate having to go through all of this and wish I could just do the "normal" planning for another child. Again glad to have found this sight. (cant say it enough). I did not know anyone else who when planning for a pregnancy had to plan out PICC lines, meds, protocols, etc. With how much I would love to just have another child and not worry about it I know that would not be the smart thing to do. So taking the final pre appointment with the doctor seriously. Last appointments I got the go ahead but we are doing one last final appointment to discuss meds etc. Do not want to go through a surprise like last time.
ellie

Postby leahmsilverman » Jan 21, 2014 11:46 am

Hi ellie, I have the children's book (Mama has Hyperemesis, But only for Awhile) and it is wonderful. I'm done having babies (thank heavens) and have been thinking I should send it on to someone who needs it. If you PM me your address, I'll drop it in the mail to you.
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby ellie » Jan 24, 2014 12:06 am

Hi Leah- Thank you very much! I am waiting to go to my final (before trying) doctor's appointment to get the ok and get everything in order. Once we get the ok I would love the book. If sadly the doctor does not give the ok then we will have to look into other options for having a child or be happy with the one child we were blessed with. If that is the case then another mom with an older child maybe would like the book. A part of me wants to be care free and just try to have more kids but with how severe the HG was last time I know the smart thing is to continue to go to the scheduled DR appts before hand. HG truly does change your thoughts on family planning. Thank you again and I will let you know :-)
ellie

Postby lollie2357 » May 15, 2014 2:58 pm

HI Ellie, I'm new here and just jumping in. How are you now? Are you preg? I hope early treatment makes a big difference for you this time!
3xHG from 5-13 weeks (2006, 2008, 2010)
2 little ones, and one angel
lollie2357

Return to Preparation for HG