3 HG pregnancies... why am I even thinking of a 4th?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

3 HG pregnancies... why am I even thinking of a 4th?

Postby shelles333 » Sep 30, 2014 10:39 am

I just barely discovered these boards and wish I had known about them with my last few pregnancies. I felt so alone! Anyway - I'm a 34 year old mom to a 7 year old daughter, an almost 5 year old daughter, and a 2 year old son. I've always wanted 4 kids but with each pregnancy, that desire has decreased. With my first daughter - I didn't start getting sick until I was 7 weeks pregnant. I thought that I had escaped morning sickness but then it was there and didn't ease up until about 29 weeks. So awful! I wasn't diagnosed at that point but basically used Zofran to survive the daytime hours (I worked full time) and then used Reglan to sleep as soon as I got home. I had blood shot eyes, blood in my vomit, etc. So miserable! I didn't know it was possible to throw up that much.

Second pregnancy, I started getting sick at 6 weeks. Pretty much everything was the same with this pregnancy only it started a week earlier and I had a 2 year old to chase after (she was actually a great kid and was content with watching movies all day long and would bring me her sippy to fill up from my laying position on the couch and would grab her own snacks).

Third pregnancy, I started getting sick at 5 weeks. This time around we had moved to a new state and I saw a doctor starting right at that 5 week mark. He immediately diagnosed me with HG (I was so happy to have a name!!) and was amazingly proactive on treatments that might help me out. I really loved this doctor for how understanding he was! This pregnancy felt like my worse since I was nauseous all the way up to the delivery day but stopped throwing up as much around 29 weeks. I had the support of a great doctor who had me coming in almost every week to make sure I was not dehydrated. I was encouraged to drink whatever liquid would stay down and just do this as much as possible. I actually managed to gain a normal amount of weight during this pregnancy even though it felt 10 times worse! So some of what I ate must have stayed down (although it sure didn't feel like it!).

Here I am though - a year away from being an automatic high risk pregnancy and trying to decide what to do. I know no one can make the decision for me. My husband is supportive either way. I'm religious so I've spent a lot of time praying about it but still just can't decide. Part of me knows that the end result is always worth it so I feel like I could get through it again - especially if I start planning and preparing, finding the right doctor, getting a lot of freezer meals ready for my family, lining up a house cleaner, finding people to help with rides/babysitting, etc. Then the other part of me thinks that it is completely selfish to do that to the rest of my family. I will basically be checking out from being a wife and mom for a good 7 months at least. I get depressed and life pretty much stops for that time period.

I guess I just want to talk to other women that understand that there is guilt with either option! And how do you reconcile a choice?
shelles333

Re: 3 HG pregnancies... why am I even thinking of a 4th?

Postby toughluck » Oct 18, 2014 3:26 pm

I feel the same way about having another baby. Ironically I'm also 34, my oldest son is 6, middle one 4 and my daughter will be 2 in a couple of days.
The last pregnancy was the hardest one - in my mind at least. And I really thought that I was done with having kids. But here I am and I can't stop thinking about having another one.
As you already said, the decision is ours to make. But maybe it helps a little bit to know you are not alone.
Bennet HG week 7-22 2/2008
Juri HG week 5/6 - 20 9/2010
Ida HG week 6 - ??? 10/ 2012
"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much." (Mother Teresa)
toughluck
Welcomed Friend

Return to Preparation for HG