HG after gallbladder removal?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

HG after gallbladder removal?

Postby Jenidibble » Dec 28, 2014 7:34 pm

I started having gallbladder attacks 1-2 times per week during my 3rd trimester with baby #1. After birth I had several more for 1 year, and eventually had it removed this past summer. While in the hospital before having it removed, it was vaguely discussed that a subsequent pregnancy might be better in regards to the HG (nausea in particular). I haven't been able to find any good advice/posts/research that shows any promising information that says HG will be be better after gallbladder removal. Has anyone found something related to this? Thanks in advance!
Jenidibble

Re: HG after gallbladder removal?

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 03, 2015 7:39 pm

I haven't been able to find anything in the forums that moms have talked about non-HG pgs after GB removal. Doesn't mean it can't happen or didn't happen. :wink: Many of us suggest preparing for the worst and hope for the best.
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Re: HG after gallbladder removal?

Postby mrsbigdog » May 01, 2015 2:29 pm

I've had three HG pregnancies, each was progressively worse. During my second pregnancy they did an ultrasound on my gallbladder to see if that was the culprit. They found I did have gallstones but that they were not the cause of my HG and suggested I have my gallbladder removed sometime after I had my daughter. I had it removed about two years after she was born. My pregnancy after removal was far worse than the previous two. My guess is that, in my case, HG was not related in any way to the gallbladder.
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Return to Preparation for HG