Thinking about #2 as a single mom - prep?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Thinking about #2 as a single mom - prep?

Postby dakotamidnight » Mar 03, 2015 10:31 am

I had moderate HG with #1 {really I think it could have been mild with better management}. Lost about 10-15% of my body weight, Zofran, b6 and reglan didn't work or worked only for a few days. Compazine worked wonders & brought it down to a just queasy state I could deal with, but of course you can't take it until after the 1st trimester due to risks. I spent a lot of time in the hospital because my doctor refused to order home IV {said my insurance wouldn't cover it - found out later that was a lie}. The 1st trimester was pretty much a yo-yo of home, dehydrate due to HG, hospital for fluids & 3 day stay, then back home and in a few days rinse & repeat. A year after #1, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid {Graves's Disease} with same symptoms, so in the back of my mind I have always wondered was it actually HG, or was it undiagnosed Grave's. I made it through all of that thanks to lots of family support - my mom lived with us & was a full time caregiver to me.

Fastforward 7 years - baby #1 is now almost 9. Am I crazy to think about baby #2? I've been wanting #2 for over a year now. I'm still a single mom, but now I don't have the support network as my mom has passed away. I'm working on getting my health in better shape, losing weight down to slightly above a healthy weight, increasing my vitamin stores. Will be trying to find a Doctor that understands HG better & will order home hydration if needed. DD #1 would be almost 10 when I'm thinking of TTC, so able to help with things around the house some, especially if I work with her ahead of time to learn. I am thinking of TTC in summer 2016, so I have a little over a year to prep my body. WWYD for prep? I've seen some things online about doing colloidal silver to kill off bad gut bacteria that supposedly can cause / worsen HG - is that actually true?
mommy to Trinity 9/06 hg pg
dakotamidnight

Re: Thinking about #2 as a single mom - prep?

Postby DivineLotus » Mar 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I've never heard silver doing that but it wouldn't hurt. Magnesium is also a buggy. Many women have found it helpful as I have too. You always have to think to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby shirley » Mar 24, 2015 5:28 pm

The thing about HG is that you can only prep so much. Once you are a few weeks into gestation, you will suffer. However I think one of the best things you can do to minimize your suffering is by getting an OB or perinatologist that truly understands what HG women go through and who has experience treating it. Talk about what treatments he/she is willing to try and how bad you have to get before they'll try those treatments. It sounds like another big concern for you would be having a plan for care for your DD if you had to be hospitalized. They say that taking prenatal vitamins while TTC will help reduce the severity of HG but I took them for over a year while trying to conceive my current pregnancy and this one is WAY worse than my first. I've heard the silver thing to but I've never known anyone whose tried that. Also I know that there are HG-ers out there who tested negative for that particular bacteria but still had HG... But doesn't hurt to try! Good luck TTC!
shirley

Postby davisjeand » Apr 03, 2015 10:54 pm

I am a single mom as well, contemplating #2. My son is now five. I had him on my own via home insemination and was so so sick. I lost my job and had to move home with my mother. I was in the hospital once a week to be rehydrated and finally admitted because I had lost too much weight and couldn't stop vomiting. It was so awful but yet here I am! I think that this time around I at least know what I have in store and I know how amazing it is to be a mother so I'm hoping that's enough motivation to get me through. Zofran and reglan sort of worked but not completely. And the Zofran was so constipating in the beginning. Really TMI but wow was that a nightmare. I've been reading about preparing even prior to getting pregnant. Some people say milk thistle and B6. I know it's completely bonkers to even consider going through this again, but I guess that's how strong the urge to be a mother can be.
Good luck on your journey. If you find anything that works, please share!
Marcia
davisjeand

Return to Preparation for HG