NG Tube vs. PICC Line

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Postby Susannah » Jan 11, 2008 10:48 am

Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby OlisMommy » Jan 25, 2009 8:00 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say that the protocol at the hospital where I work is that an NJ tube has to be replaced every 30 days and cannot be left in indefinetly. I dont know if that is the case in adults, as I work peds, but we do this for 17-18yo kids too.

I think if I ever get pg again I will get a jejeunal feeding tube inserted through my abdomen as I know for me HG can last the entire pg.
HG 5wk-34wk (aka:birth) I had it bad, we almost died. I did everything but the NJ. I do NJ in my line of work. I can tell you all about them except how they feel. ER/Trauma/ICU RN PM me anything.
IMG_0266_2_4 by Yum! Yum! Mommy!, on Flickr
OlisMommy
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am

The only reason I've had an NJ tube replaced is when it was clogged and we couldn't break up the clog.

Pregnancy #1 - I had the same NJ tube for 6 wks. No one ever talked about replacing it, since it was working fine.

Pregnancy #2 - I had 2 NJ tubes because the first clogged. 6 wks total between the 2 tubes.

Pregnancy #3 - Same NJ tube for 6 wks.

If I needed the feedings for the entire pregnancy, I think I would also opt for the J-tube option. Good luck!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby delilhapops » May 07, 2010 9:50 am

my last pregnancy i was told that i couldnt get a feeing tube, only to loss the baby shortly after my request.. im looking for a new dr. for my next pg, and will be preplanning with a protocol and a feeding tube will be in there... i can see how simply knowing you at least have some nutrition will ease some stress...
Mommy hoping for #3
jordan 04/18/00
brooklyn 02/26/05 (hg)
angel in heaven 07/08 10 weeks gest(sever hg)
delilhapops

Postby slterwil » Aug 29, 2010 7:15 pm

bumping this up because it's got such good info in it
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby makind » Jul 25, 2011 5:58 am

Does anyone know the size of the tubing used for nasogastric feeding? Would 8-10fr be okay?
Renae
2xHG survivor (iv fluids, oral zofran)
Currently suffering HG with #3
makind

Postby liseprzy » Oct 01, 2011 3:26 pm

I know this is a little late, but my NJ tube is an 8 fr.

Also just want to update part of this tread. I had two NJ tubes with my first pregnancy and one so far during this one. In my first pregnancy they were in for 8 and then 11 weeks before clogging. This current one have been in a little past 11 weeks and is still working.

Also, be very careful with crushing pills and sending them through as it can clog the tube faster. Zofran comes in and oral liquid that can be added directly to the tube and I find it works even better than the ODT tablets. Also if you add Miralax (dissolved in water) you wont suffer the horrible zofran rocks.

I can't say enough good things about my tube!
Lise

Amelia, born 6/29/09 - Severe HG for 37 weeks: zofran, multiple mid-lines, NJ tubes and hospitalizations.
Baby Angel, February 2011
New baby due 02/25/12 - severe HG starting at 5
weeks. Zofran, Prilosec, Miralax and enteral feeding through NJ tube since week 7.
liseprzy
Welcomed Friend

Postby makind » Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Lise, no your reply is not too late for me - thank you! I was about to order 12fr but I'm glad I've held off. I'm still TTC but wanting to be so prepared this time around. Although I'm still petrified at the thought of suffering HG again, I feel a little comfort knowing that I have a "trick up my sleeve" that I haven't tried before...just to know the baby and I will be getting nutrition and fluids we need will be peace of mind. Did you primarily use a large syringe to administer the feeds or an administration set (gravity bag, using iv pole). My sister has just recently spent 6 months in ICU and was fed the entire time via a NJ tube (not for HG... but Guillain Barre Syndrome). She said often the line got blocked and the nurses would use coke (coca cola) to try and unblock it...just an idea to try. Thanks again for advice.
Renae
2xHG survivor (iv fluids, oral zofran)
Currently suffering HG with #3
makind

Re: NG Tube vs. PICC Line

Postby HGisworthit » Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm

What I don't understand is if we can't swallow our own saliva, how are we going to tolerate this tube in the back of your throat??
DS ~ 15 Moderate HG, undiagnosed. "Crackered" my whole pregnancy
DS ~ 13 Severe HG 6-37 weeks (delivery) PICC, Reglan, Pepcid, Zofran pump, TPN
DS ~ 2 Moderate to Severe HG, 6-36 weeks (Delivery)PICC, home hydration, Zofran, Reglan
#4 May 2013
Thinking FLUFFY!
HGisworthit

Re: NG Tube vs. PICC Line

Postby 3timeHGmom » Feb 14, 2014 2:00 pm

I had daily IVs for a month and lost 20 lbs. (I was underweight to begin with) with my last pregnancy before I got a NJ tube. By the time they put the NJ tube in, I was so weak that I couldn't walk to the bathroom without passing out. The NJ tube absolutely saved me. I had it in for 4 months (same tube), and I finally got it out and was able to start eating on my own when I was 6 months pregnant.

As far as your throat goes, it is horrible at first. I wanted to rip it out for the first week because it drove me so crazy. My body was so sick and so hypersensitive that I couldn't stand anything at that point. After that, my throat became less sensitive in that spot, and I was able to tolerate the tube. It did get to the point where I didn't really even notice it.

I also had issues with the temperature of the fluid. I was so sick that just the sensation of something going through my tube made me vomit, so I couldn't have any cool liquids in my NJ tube.

I'm pretty early in my third HG pregnancy, and if things continue to get worse, I will push for a NJ tube before I get as sick as I was last time.
3timeHGmom

Previous

Return to Preparation for HG