Tubal and Vas Question...

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

Tubal and Vas Question...

Postby TwoIsEnough » May 07, 2007 10:13 am

Okay, I just came across a few posts that mentioned doctors refusing permanent methods based upon a person's age. Just curious about this as DH and I have talked that we (seriously) thought about him having a vas and myself having a tubal. I don't know why, but everyone around our community has decided to load us down with stories of their "last" child coming after a tubal or after a vas. I have had a really bad time with hg this time, and we are certain that we don't want to become pg again...as I don't think that I could complete the pg.

Sooooo...when we look into permanent options, both of us are 29...is there a chance that we will be denied one, the other or even both? OMG... I can't imagine! BC is not an option for me as everything that I have tried has been a nightmare. I am that fearful of getting pg again that if permanent options were not allowed...I would go with abstinence before I would trust a condom!
Lauren

DD#1: Moderate HG for six months then PTL.
DD#2: Severe HG all the way through delivery along with PTL.

TwoIsEnough
HG Expert

Postby justme » May 07, 2007 10:47 am

Lauren,

Given your age and the fact that you have 2 children, I don't see that they would "refuse" it. When my dh went in for his vas they didn't even really ask or anything - just did.

Karen
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » May 07, 2007 2:31 pm

My Dh was 31 when he got his V. Age was not a factor. And, I was 30 when I had Katie and my Drs were very willing to give me a tubal (I only consented to having it if I need a section). With DH, the Dr did recommend I come in for the visit. Dh delcined a 2nd consulation after and the Urologist agreed, after he learned that my Peri/OB had advised that I not have anymore children.

I have heard that in the UK, for example they would like people to be a certain age. And, even here, in the US, I think they dont like to do it on young people, but Im talking EARLY 20's, not around 30 (sorry Im really not trying to make you feel old :wink: :lol: )

And, absitinace was my method of choice until we got the all clear on the V. We were way too fertile, and I wasnt taking ANY chances!
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » May 07, 2007 4:36 pm

In the US, the only absolute restrictions are that if the tubal is paid for with Federal funds (Medicare or Medicaid), then you need to be 21 and wait at least 30 days from signing the first consent form. If federal funds are not used, then you can be 18 and wait 72 hours.

Anything else just depends on the comfort level of your doctor. If you are SURE, and the doctor refuses, then you can always ask another doctor.

Lots of people get their tubes tied in their early 20's. Younger women are more likely to regret their decisions, so that is why some doctors are reluctant, but women who get their tubes tied because of health reasons are much, much less likely to regret their decisions, so it probably all evens out.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Proudmama » May 19, 2007 6:37 am

Most Doctors will question your reasons for your decision but given what you have been through, it would be hard for you to be refused. My DH had his V right after DD was born. I went with him and they asked us why we were choosing to do this. After we told our story, they had no problem with the procedure.

:hugs:
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Return to No more for me!?