To get tied or not?

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

To get tied or not?

Postby SkunkPaw » Jan 24, 2006 1:11 am

All during my pregnancy I told everyone including myself that I would NEVER do it again. I was going to get tied, burnt, clamped, whatever it took. Now I am having second thoughts. Not like I want one right now but maybe a few years down the line, say maybe 7 or 8. But then I think about the sickness and how bad this pregnancy was and I just don't know. When I look at my little girl I konw that it was all worth it. There are TONS of ppl out there that can't have kids and here I am fertile mertile and I am about to make it where I can't have kids again. I am feeling guitly. But I really don't think that I can survive another pregnancy. I just don't know and dh doesn't want to talk to me about it. He just shrugs.

*sigh*
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Jan 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Chasidy,

I've been planning to get the job done while they're in there doing my c/s. I'd kind of rather DH got a V, as it is at least reversible if something changes, but he won't even consider it. Like you, I'm thinking that it's a very very final move, and how do you know that you won't ever wish you could have more, but then I think about how hard this is, not only on me but on all the people I care about whose lives are turned upside down too, and I think it's the right thing for me.

Sorry that I'm not much help, but at least you know that you're not the only one asking the universe these questions.

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jan 24, 2006 10:22 pm

If you're having second thoughts, don't do it. There are plenty of long-term birth control options out there, and at least that way you have the option later of either going ahead with the sterilization or having another baby. It's not worth the heartache if you're not 100% sure.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mandy » Jan 25, 2006 11:10 am

Until ds was 2, I was deliriously happy to be done. Forever.
Now I'm not so sure and am so glad I still have a choice. People who know me would never have thought I'd change my mind. Please think so carefully before making these huge decisions.

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby HelenA » Jan 25, 2006 11:57 am

I second the don't do it if you're not 100%

Also Kadinga - I wouldn't get it done at the same time as a C-section, I was planning on doing the exact same thing as this will be my last, but I have heard there is a higher failure rate if they do it at the same time due to the fact that everything in there is all swollen up from the pregnancy.

I am lucky enough that DP has agreed to have the snip, but he is waiting til this baby is born just incase anything happens while I am pregnant.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby BrandiJK » Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm

I also second the don't do it if your not sure route.

Everyone I have talked to say that there is a point of just knowing when your done. If a procedure, or the choice of one, is taken away before that point, be prepared to deal with it later on down the road.

I know, at this point, the thought of another pg is about the scarest thing in the world. However, I also know that I am in no way positive either. Dh feels positive, and he'd be getting a V right this second if I let him. This pg about killed our relationship at one point.

But...the improvments in treatments between when I had Sage and this pregnancy is huge. Who knows what will be going on in 3 or 4 years, medically and in my heart.

I only know my own thoughts around this, as, it's obviously a very personal decision. But it does sound like you are unsure. I'd find a way to wait until you are sure.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Return to No more for me!?