TL and Fibroids?????????

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

TL and Fibroids?????????

Postby Kadinga » Jan 24, 2006 9:50 pm

I read last night that doctors don't like to do a TL if you have fibroids, but the book didn't say anything about why. It's also a new edition of an old book and a lot of it's information about pregnancy care is really outdated and irrelevant, so I'm hoping that it's wrong on this too.

There were several fibroids that showed up in my u/s with DD, and there is one that shows up in my u/s this time.

Does anyone know anything about this at all?????

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 29, 2006 9:06 am

Sounds like old advice to me - maybe from the days where almost everyone with fibroids ended up getting a hysterectomy "just because" They would just take everything out instead.

If the fibroids are HUGE the surgery would be harder, but even then not impossible, and you would know if you had fibroids that huge!!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kadinga » Jan 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks Aimee.

I thought that might be the case. I'll still discuss it with my doc, but I can relax a bit more now while I wait for my next appointment.

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bratty477 » Feb 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Apparently, I had developed fibroids in my first pregnancy but my fetal-maternal doctor told me that it's not uncommon to develop it in pregnancy. She monitored it of course, but in a later ultrasound, it eventually went away.

The doctor is planning a c-section with my second based on the history of my first labor and delivery and I will be getting my tubes tied at the same time. My husband and I decided two kids and that is it for us. As much as I love children, I can't physically endure more than this (especially given my age) and my husband agrees...thankfully!

If I KNEW for sure that I wasn't going to be sick and it was going to be a smooth pregnancy, it would be a different story but we're all realistic here.
bratty477
HG Expert

Postby Kadinga » Feb 21, 2006 9:33 pm

I've had a chat with the doc, and the fibroids aren't an issue at all.

Also, if you get the procedure done at the birth using clips it can fail, but if they cut the tubes and burn the ends (which is what will happen for me) then that risk is removed.

It is SO GOOD to know that this is the absolute last time!

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » Feb 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Amanda - they can all fail, the risk is just lower with some then with others. Cutting and tying is the most common method at csection here, but the lowest risk methods actually involve cutting, tying and burying the tubes.
This site is geared towards tubal reversals, so the pg statistics are not what you care about, but it goes over the different techniques for the curious.
http://www.tubal-reversal.net/tubal_lig ... ection.htm
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to No more for me!?